Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About new engine build time.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About new engine build time.

Iím about ready to start a new engine build. I have a Ton of 351c stuff and a fair amount of decent 351w type parts. Kinda undecided on which way to go. Iíve always wanted a C behind a good stick but this current W made a believer outta me on itís longevity. AKA no split cylinder bores. Talked to my engine guy at the track this Saturday and he pretty much said both has their good points. Like I expected him to say. Lol. Iím thinking doing a 351C for the next combo. .30 over with a set of 2348 new pop-ups about 11.8-1 with a set of new Eagle H beams on a stock 4m crank. Itíd have a solid roller Crower good #ís cam that I bought from Rob years ago with the usual supporting already done n bagged/ worked/prepped 4V heads. Not low ET slip hunting here just looking for fun factor. The W parts I have are early blocks and various intakes n aftermarket valvetrain pieces. Along with a set of complete early set of high port KPI heads.
    Last edited by Tater351C; 04-01-2018, 10:39 PM.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

The C would probably be less money ATM for me for sure. And thatís always a factor. Just looking to be a 10.00 or higher ET time car. Local track is teching cars pretty hard this year. My Buddy Bull got a ruff time this Sat. for having an IHRA license and not an NHRA one. Iím happy running 10ís.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

Well, the C should be a low ten second ride. You might need to change rear end ratios as it will probably want more rpm than your current Windsor combo.
      As you know, fill the block up to the water pump outlets, and it will live a long time. Might need to add an oil cooler if you are planning on doing much street driving, but that's not a huge deal.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

How do your C heads flow compared to your high ports? If it where my build, that would determine the direction more than anything.
        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
        363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

The new fabbed 9 rearend build has thanks to Dennis a set of 4.71 gears. Probably too tall for the current Weesor combo to be beneficial but close to enuff for a C. As far as head flow the current combo is just outta the box Vic Jrs. Kinda just have too much C stuff on the shelves to not do one and Iíve always wanted to try one behind a decent Stick trannies instead of a tight street converter in an automatic. Time will tell.
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

Kinda a bucket list thing I guess. Finally getting to the point of being able to play around with this stuff. Life is good.
            69 Stang Vert
            69 Stang Coupe
            92 Stang 5.0 LX
            other DD's

Comment

Should be a fun build. Please post as you move along with it. I would think your rear gears would have been fine with the windsor unless you where running 26" tires? I have been running 4.86 and would go steeper but I have a good handle with them and a 3.06 first. Mostly just bracket race and don't want to get to close to the edge traction wise.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                The new fabbed 9 rearend build has thanks to Dennis a set of 4.71 gears. Probably too tall for the current Weesor combo to be beneficial but close to enuff for a C. As far as head flow the current combo is just outta the box Vic Jrs. Kinda just have too much C stuff on the shelves to not do one and Iíve always wanted to try one behind a decent Stick trannies instead of a tight street converter in an automatic. Time will tell.
                Either head will flow more than enough to get you in to the low 10's. I would think between the out of the box Vic Jrs and the C heads, the C heads with a mild pocket clean up will flow more. Personally, given that both will reach your target ET, I would go with whichever build is going to be least likely to break the bank. If you were looking at something to continually build upon and go faster and faster, I would go Windsor. But, given you have a target ET in mind and dont have any desire or plans to make that next step in the whole safety gear/licensing scam, the C would be my choice.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Thanks for the input Poppy n Rob. Much appreciated. With my junk Iím not wanting/interested in going quicker than 9ís. To those that do thatís fine. Just not for me or my fun/budget. As usual this will probably be a long drawn out build as $ is available but atleast Iím building something and hope to have it going. Lol.
                  69 Stang Vert
                  69 Stang Coupe
                  92 Stang 5.0 LX
                  other DD's

Comment

I too like the idea of you racing with a Cleveland. Low 10's would be easier if you stroked it.
                    Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Remember, I went low 10's consistently with a stock rod Cleveland on alcohol with a c4 behind it. And that motor was not anything special; solid flat tappet cam, open chamber heads, 11-1 compression, and yet it ran a best of 9.97.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

I like the Cleveland as well. I have a set of Eagle CRS5780F3D rods that are new in the box that we can make a deal on. PM me if you are interested.

Rick Stevens
                        Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                        - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                        - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

After taking some time and some more thinking. Like Rob was saying about what wonít break the bank Iím thinking a Cleve will be next build. Plus a C has a awesome sound all itís own for some reason even if itís usually slower than a built current Weesor combo. Lord knows I have more than enuff parts n pieces to chose from.
                          69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

Keep us posted!

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                              After taking some time and some more thinking. Like Rob was saying about what wonít break the bank Iím thinking a Cleve will be next build. Plus a C has a awesome sound all itís own for some reason even if itís usually slower than a built current Weesor combo. Lord knows I have more than enuff parts n pieces to chose from.
                              SOUNDS LIKE IT'S A GO FOR THE 'C' BUILD!!!! YEAH BABY!!

Ryan
                              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X