Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressed air supercharging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed air supercharging

Have any of you guys been reading up on this or see anybody at the track using this? I think Hot Rod magazine did a story on it a few months back:

http://casupercharging.com/
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

I remember reading about it a while back. Cool idea but seems like a big PITA compared to other power adder options.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Interesting. Looks like it would be a PITA to fill the cylinders. I wonder how many 1/8 mile runs two bottles would make? If they can get the fill stations in and it's cheaper than nitrous, it might catch on.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

3400 PSIG is ALOT!
        I'd be VERY concerned with damaging a cylinder or severing pressurized line upstream from the pressure regulator!
        It makes N2O cylinder pressures look like a pop can pressure.

Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Interesting side note: I believe the Germans played with compressed air in thier fighter aircraft during WWII, which led them to using Nitrous Oxide instead due to the cooling effect. History repeats itself maybe. Will read article.
          Mike Gasdick 69 Cougar XR-7 , 14:1 358W Canfield heads, CalTrac's / split mono's, "Mighty Mite" C4 w/trans-brake. 11.31.so far.
          2010 F150, 4.6L 2wd
          2002 F250 Superduty 4x4 with a spark plug spittin', manifold crackin' , fuse box burnin , 5.4 !

Comment

All old things are new again...

This picture was taken at Brent Hajek's museum in OK. He said the story behind it is someone (don't remember who it was, but it was a familiar name) was looking at trying to get compressed air used in Top Fuel. They had been making really good power with it and had invited Wally Parks to come see it on the dyno. When Wally showed up they ran it and blew things up in quite dramatic fashion. Unsurprisingly, he didn't approve it. This was one of the "other" engines they had ready to go. I'm not 100% on the story, so if someone else has heard or remembers the details of the story better, feel free to correct or add.
            68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
            '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
            Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Working...
            X