Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASCAR for sale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR for sale?

It sure looks like the France family has had enough and is exploring their options to sell the NASCAR series. After them destroying what was once entertaining racing and replaced it with a version of cookie cutter cars that all look alike but don't look like anything "stock" that is sold in the showrooms, I guess they can't figure out what went wrong with their cash cow. I mean, really, they let the Camaro in this year, and the Mustang in next year, and neither look like the factory cars, only difference is the stickers. This all started when they started with the fake two doors like the Taurus that never was offered in a two door version. I was a fan back when you could tell one make from another, all makes were represented, each with it's own bodystyle and engine, you pulled for your brand. Now, they all look alike, pretty much have the same engine, everything has to fit a template, no room to be creative. More like an IROC car, if you remember those, where they were all supposedly identical. No wonder the fan base has left them. It's not so much age, as it is realism IMHO. Nobody likes a fake.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...source=twitter
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

I couldn't say it better . . . . .
    Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

We were talking about this at work the other day when the news first broke the crooks, er, Frances, might be thinking of selling. Our conclusion is, it's nothing more than a publicity stunt to draw some attention back to the sport. They just acquired ARCA, so them talking about selling seems pretty far fetched since they are still expanding the number of series they own.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

You might be right Rob. I'm thinking they have finally seen the writing on the wall, and know that changes have to be made or it will keep going down. Actually realizing why it's declining will be the first step, and with a family owned business it's hard to turn the reins over to an "outsider" to get new ideas flowing. But they may still be in a state of denial, and grasping at straws to get interest going again.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
          It sure looks like the France family has had enough and is exploring their options to sell the NASCAR series. After them destroying what was once entertaining racing and replaced it with a version of cookie cutter cars that all look alike but don't look like anything "stock" that is sold in the showrooms, I guess they can't figure out what went wrong with their cash cow. I mean, really, they let the Camaro in this year, and the Mustang in next year, and neither look like the factory cars, only difference is the stickers. This all started when they started with the fake two doors like the Taurus that never was offered in a two door version. I was a fan back when you could tell one make from another, all makes were represented, each with it's own bodystyle and engine, you pulled for your brand. Now, they all look alike, pretty much have the same engine, everything has to fit a template, no room to be creative. More like an IROC car, if you remember those, where they were all supposedly identical. No wonder the fan base has left them. It's not so much age, as it is realism IMHO. Nobody likes a fake.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...source=twitter
          i also remember the old days of nascar. i also remember the first silhouette cars as well, and it was the buicks that were the first front drive four door sedans that were converted to nascar spec, then the oldsmobiles. it wasnt until ford dropped the thunderbird that ford went to the taurus. at least with the camaro and mustang nascar is getting back to two door rear wheel drive cars again.

one of the things though that has really bothered me is that there is no real diversity in the sport anymore, in regards to manufacturers. in the old days if you manufactured and sold cars in the US, you went racing in the nascar series. these days there are three makes, ford chevy and toyota. i think nascar needs to court dodge, mercedes, bmw, nisssan, kia, honda and others, and create a diverse selection of makes in the series again.

and i also dont like the spec body cars, i think they need to go back to when you could pick out the makes without having to look for the manufacturers monikers on the cars.
          64 falcon
          66 mustang
          76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
          and life is but an illusion

Comment

Can't stand what NASCAR has turned into and don't really care.
            1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
            347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
            363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
            244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

I remember the reason the cars started to look like non factory cars was because the teams and owners and factories started making small changes to the cars bodies after they let them into the wind tunnel and one manufacture would dominate.And the cowardly owners of NASCAR would let the some of the things slide,So after years and years of the cheating with the bodies Nascar came out with there cheating templates for each car manufacturer so now this is what you have funny cars in nascar kind of like what nhra did to there cheating looking cars.And technically if the cars would have kept up with what the manufacturer where building most of the cars would be 4 and 6 cylinder turbo cars over the non factory v-8 that they use now.
              1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
              1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
              NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

Been following Nascar since the early 1980ís. We went to a lot of the Cup series races back in the day but havenít been to one in a long time. These days if I had free tickets to a Cup Race I still wouldnít go to one, just not my kinda thing anymore. But Iíll gladly pay $20 to get thru the gate at any of our local dirt tracks in the area!! Hopefully for many years to come.
                79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                69 Stang Vert
                69 Stang Coupe
                92 Stang 5.0 LX
                other DD's

Comment

I think the France family is serious about selling. I look at lots and lots of empty seats in the stands, every Sunday.

I guess they will never go back to the, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" days, when you could actually see the same car you are driving every day.....on the track, racing at Talladega, Pocono, Daytona etc ...
                  Eddie "D"
                  '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                  "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                  M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                  X