Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Stick Race Blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Buddy Bull stopped over today n showed me how to service the pressure plate, disc n flywheel with 40 grit sandpaper. Iím happy for his help! My other Buddy Dave took delivery of his new Reher-Morrison 427 sbc engine to replace his blown up engine. Not much else new here.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

I cheat and use 36gt on a body shop straight line file and hand held vibrating sander. Not the most pleasant job but I'd go nuts doing it by hand knowing that I have the equipment on the shelf.

Sounds like Dave will be ready to tear up Pittsburgh at the end of the month. Good for him!

I looked for somewhere to go T&T this weekend but inter-track end of season racing seems to be the norm this time of year. Could have hit one on Friday evening but worked OT to help pay off the G101 repair. Found one local track that is open for T&T today but its in conjunction with the high entry fee, no prep racing event later in the evening. Not the best test session for a small tire stick car so I'll pass.

Hoping to find good weather and an open track somewhere next weekend . . . .
      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Yeah Dave is into it hot n heavy. Iím not in a position to drop $17k like he did on a new engine. The 40 grit stapled to a board wasnít too bad. Just glad Bull guides me along. Lol His quote the other day was ď this isnít rocket scienceĒ. I hear you on track schedules. Not much happening at Mason rest of the year. Guess it goes along with the rest of the season though with Mother Nature winning. Heck, Iím still waiting on getting our 69 Convertible out n see what bugs itíll have. Get them squared away n put some miles on it this Fall.
        79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
        69 Stang Vert
        69 Stang Coupe
        92 Stang 5.0 LX
        other DD's

Comment

I got the trans back in the car n buttoned up everything the other day. I got to adding up everything $wise to go to the Pittsburgh, Pa 2 day race n decided to skip it. Bull n Dave will be there though. I figured no better than Iíve been hitting the tree n lack of rds Iíve gone this season that Iíd be better off using that money to put new tires on my daughters car before Winter. Yeah Iím a tight azz but I live within my means an have been taught usually common sense prevails.
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

Hey, that's all cool Tater. Sometimes a guy has to do what's best for him and his family. To that end I worked OT the Friday before last to help pay for the tranny parts vs taking $$ out of savings. Too bad it was the last nice evening that a local track was open for T&T thanks to the weather and the inter track racing finals. Racer's in the northeast just can't catch a break this year.
            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Good Luck at Pittsburgh Dennis!! Hope you go some rounds! Cool on the OT!! Maybe BS with you at Waynesboro Va? I should be there.
              69 Stang Vert
              69 Stang Coupe
              92 Stang 5.0 LX
              other DD's

Comment

Thanks Tater.

Since I'm doing both days at Pittsburgh this year I'll probably pass on Waynesboro since its the following week. Just too much going on right now (although I could end up doing something more local.) I'm still plan on hitting VMF at the end of October.
                Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Keystone Raceway (Pittsburgh) was a mad house in many ways. The car, the driver, and the track were all in top notch form. Unfortunately there was a tons of cars, a ton of breakages (literally dozens), some additional special event races, a Don Garlit's cacklefest, and some extremely heavy evening dew to contend with. With all that ruckus and the resulting downtime the runs were several hours apart.

I left home early to attend the Friday T&T before our 2 days of racing. Due to having a fresh tranny and wanting to cut down on breakage, I decided to change my clutch setup to something that would be softer (and different than I have run in a long time.) I increased the total base from 475lbs to 670lbs and removed 1.5grams of clutch counterweight from each finger-leaving 4.5grams on them. I then set the air gap to .060" and increased the air pressure in the slicks to induce a little spin.

The pits were muddy from the overnight rain and it was hard to find one that you wouldn't sink into the mud. With all the race and street cars that was there I only got 2 runs. On the first run I was pleasantly surprised that the car went down the track nicely (but was a little soft going into 3rd gear.) I added an additional 30lbs to the base for the second run and that was all it needed to make good clean passes down the track. I made 4 more passes over the next 2 days and never considered touching the clutch at all. I had my best 60'er for this year this weekend so I left the clutch alone from there on. The only other adjustments I did to the car all weekend was to add another 1/4lb of air to the slicks and increasing the 2 step a couple of hundred rpms. The car simply wanted to hook and go . . . .

Even better I was able to do clutchless shifts with ease at any RPM (which is something I haven't been able to do before without having the 1st and 2nd gear back cuts removed from the engagement teeth.) It was simple and easy to pull the H pattern shifter out of gear and let the tranny suck itself into the next like it is supposed to do. All runs were done full throttle, with no clutch or hitting the rev limiter required. Its hard to believe that removing 4.5 grams total CW would make that much difference. It was almost like hand shifting an automatic . . . .

On Saturday we had to qualifying runs (Our Buddy Dave ran his fastest ever in his Camaro-an 8.99 on a fresh motor) but we didn't get into the first round of eliminations until 10pm (after an 11:30am start.) By then the dew was ultra heavy and the track got cool after it took an hour to remove a 63' Chevy with broken lug nuts from the starting line. I was the poor sucker stuck in the car at the water box awaiting my turn. Even so I didn't have any trouble going down the track with my street car (slower than most other racers but still equipped with factory defrost and heat.) The faster cars couldn't contend with the fogged windows and slippery track like I could. Some fast cars tried to give it a go but after a couple of hairy rides the decision was made to close the track before our class of 70+ stick cars finished that round. It was such a cluster that Bull and several others pulled out that night. Actually they made the right decision as Sunday didn't go any better for the group as a whole.

On Sunday the 50 or so cars that remained got our first round of qualifying in with little to no issues. The one and only chick in our class broke the rear ends lower control arms in her competitive Fox body car. I had my best 60'er for this year and killed the light with a .000. We were going to have a 2nd round of qualifying until our group decided to cancel the event due to severe track oil downs-1 of which occurred in the running class as we were just lining up in the staging lanes, forcing us to wait 2 hours for the whole lane cleanup. During that wait time we decided to go straight into eliminations rather than risk another long day at the track. Once the track was clean they ran the exhibition cars with no issues UNTIL the final Pro car wanted to make a solo time run at the end of the exhibition. During a hefty high RPM full track burnout it left gear lube from the burnout box to nearly the end of the track in the left lane. It also threw tiny aluminum shavings the whole length of the car's travel (in both lanes.) Cleanup would require scraping both sides of the track, which would have taken hours. Our group got together again and decided to call the race because by the time the track was ready the evening dew would have started settling on the cars again. We then headed back to our trailers to pack up and shortly after the track called the end of the race day for all classes.

We got a full refund for our entry fee, which was carried over from Saturday to be used as Sunday's entry. I was the "big" $$ winner as my .000 earned me the $25 first round qualifying RT prize that I never got to run. Too bad as my car, the driver, and the track were all in top notch form at the beginning of both days. Our best was a 9.91 qualifying on Saturday (1200' elevation.) RT's were all decent and included a .0015 on Friday.

I'm going to sit out going to Eastside this weekend as it would be a little much on me and my budget to do this back to back as I'm still recovering from the tranny rebuild. I'll probably do something local though. I still hope to travel to the our last race of the year at VMP at the end of the month.
                  Last edited by Dennis112; 10-01-2018, 03:48 PM.
                  Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Wow, what a weekend.
                    I dont blame you guys for calling it on Sunday.
                    Rob Hetzler
                    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Hey Dennis, glad you n car are all together n working great! Thatís Awesome!! My daughter wrecked my old Civic last Thursday evening on wet roads. She is fine n luckily car not too banged up. To be honest Iím glad that I stayed home n missed the cluster weekend. I donít think Bull will be going back to that track unless major changes are made to the schedule there next year! Dave is pretty mild mannered and I talked to him today and he didnít have anything too positive to say about the weekend other than running a best of 8.93. Shame your not planning on Eastside. Nothing like stepping back in time like 40 years at an old school track. Lol. But I understand.
                      69 Stang Vert
                      69 Stang Coupe
                      92 Stang 5.0 LX
                      other DD's

Comment

Raced at Eastside Dragway yesterday with their Nostalgia n Pro Stick day. Lots of race n show cars n spectators. Pro Stick had 44 cars. Everything was going pretty good until Elimination Rd#2 when I went -.001 Red and my good day ended. I did run a new PB though with a 60 ft of 1.41 n a 6.45 for the day. Pretty good day that was managed well by the track staff. My Dad was along for the trip n seemed to really enjoy himself too.
                        69 Stang Vert
                        69 Stang Coupe
                        92 Stang 5.0 LX
                        other DD's

Comment

69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

Sweet looking wheels up launch photo!
                            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

way cool !

Keith
                              34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Cool!
                                Always nice to go to the track, set a personal best, and not break anything.
                                Rob Hetzler
                                M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                                Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X