Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reviving an old Dragstrip in MI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviving an old Dragstrip in MI

I would have lost money on a bet that I'd see this happening.......

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/La...487348091.html

...may have to try to sneak over there and check it out....!

Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Drag strips have been on the verge around here for a while and there seems to be new life. Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka, KS got a new owner last year and they've now got a full schedule after being completely shut down for a while. Arkansas City, KS is also getting it's track going again after being shut down for a number of years. Another one that I was a bit surprised to hear is they are actually building a new track east of Kansas City that will be the "new" KCIR. I'm not sure what's causing the resurgence (maybe the street outlaw stuff?), but it's good to see a few options for tracks again.
    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Cool to hear of a track reopening. Hope it gets the support/participants to keep it open and expanding. I wonder what the lawsuit was about that the new owner won?
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

That’s great to see, I hope they keep it going.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

That's great news! Like 'em or hate 'em but I think Street Outlaws gave the sport the shot in the arm it needed.
          1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
          347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
          363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
          244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
            Cool to hear of a track reopening. Hope it gets the support/participants to keep it open and expanding. I wonder what the lawsuit was about that the new owner won?
            Tater,
            I don't know anything about the new owner, Joe Martin, lawsuit was about, but if I was savy enough with this computer, I likely give a whirl at trying to find out! The article says he is/was 'of North Branch' a small town less than 20 miles from the Lapeer, MI. dragstrip. By the way - it is still 105 miles from me.......

The Lapeer dragstrip does have a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1371302186286661/about/

Ryan

Comment

Weeeelllllll, even though it's supposed to be in the mid 90s with humidity (I know, that's nothing for some of you guys, but for us Snowbirds, we just simply MELT in those conditions!), the wife & I are making plans to meet up with a friend and his hot rod '69 428CJ to trip across the state to check out the newly-reopened Lapeer International Dragway (LID) on Sunday. At least it sounds like no rain....... It should be a fun time!

Here is peak at their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1371302186286661/about/

Ryan

Comment

Hope you and the wife have a blast and the Cobra Jet kicks some a$$! Make sure to report back

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Have fun. Always good to hear of a track being revived instead of turned in to a housing development.
                  Rob Hetzler
                  M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                  Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                    Hope you and the wife have a blast and the Cobra Jet kicks some a$$! Make sure to report back
                    Thanks, Poppy! You bet, I'll report back!

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                    Have fun. Always good to hear of a track being revived instead of turned in to a housing development.
                    We'll do that. My friend with the '69CJ is running a new set of aluminum heads and intake, I'm excited for him.

Rumor has it the new owner is attempting to purchase an adjacent 80 acres to allow more parking and camping....If it turns out to be a nice facility, it will take some racers from the other tracks, but it may also cause them to put some needed improvements into their facilities, Ubly Dragway and Milan Dragway.

Ryan

By the way - here is yet ANOTHER old track the locals are trying to revive from the dead.... Onodaga Dragway. It is located a few miles south of Lansing, MI. It's been in the news/legal system for years now, but looks like it's going to really happen! It's an 1/8 mile track, but it did recieve IHRA sanctioning.... I haven't been there yet.
                    Here is some info on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/onondaga.dragway/

Comment

Well, I got the call last night that my friend took his CJ to Ubly Dragway yesterday. He relayed good news and bad news. The Good News is the new heads and intake make more power.....the Bad News is the engine was hurt. Broke a lash cap...and no spare at the house. So today's trip to Lapeer has been canceled....

Ryan

Comment

That stinks big time

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Working...
                        X