Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New FORD top fuel engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FORD top fuel engine

I knew Mr. Force and Ford where working on it ...read on!

http://www.fordracing.com/news/detail/?article=33872
    1972 Maverick Grabber Street car 12.20 @ 112.35 mph (12.45 @ 106 mph on Pep Boys radials.)

:banana:
    sigpic

Alex Denysenko
    Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
    NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
    First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
    First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
    5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
    Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
    Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
    Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
    Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
    Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
    www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Hey Alex, why the NHRA 500 cube limit?
      Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
        Hey Alex, why the NHRA 500 cube limit?
        That is the limit that NHRA imposes on the TF car engines.

Here are some more detailed pics of the motor from the PRI show.

http://dragracingonline.com/livecove..._11-pri-1.html
        sigpic

Alex Denysenko
        Co-Administrator

NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

I wonder....

how NHRA is going to foil this effort. The last time Force tried to use a Ford engine, for daughter Ashley's alcohol dragster, NHRA outlawed it by limiting the engine bore spacing to 4.84". The 385 series Ford engine, which includes the 429 and 460 and was the basis for the Force engine have a bore spacing of 4.90". The Chrysler 426 Hemi, which is the basis for most engines used in the alky and fuel classes have a bore spacing of 4.80". Why choose 4.84" as the limit.....let's see... what engine has that exact bore spacing..... hummmmmmmm..... oh, yeah, the big block chebbie.. what a suprise!!!!!!

The ONLY reason that rule was made was to eliminate the Ford engine. The only other mass produced V8 engine with a bore spacing larger than 4.84" is a Cadillac engine.

Comment

I really don't think there should be a limit on size at all, at the top fuel level that is. It should be like unlimited hydroplane racing, run whatever runs the fastest; if the hydroplane racing body would have imposed engine rules, you would not be seeing the boats running the turbine engines nor running the kind of speeds they are now achieving, in my honest opinion NHRA is holding back the sport.
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
              I really don't think there should be a limit on size at all, at the top fuel level that is. It should be like unlimited hydroplane racing, run whatever runs the fastest; if the hydroplane racing body would have imposed engine rules, you would not be seeing the boats running the turbine engines nor running the kind of speeds they are now achieving, in my honest opinion NHRA is holding back the sport.
              I think you are correct but at the same time I am glad that so many teams can afford to compete and build a car.

With a true "no limits" approach I dont think we would have a greater "spectacle" but we would have more accidents, and costs are already high enough with a 500 inch engine. As it is, thundering down the track in 4 seconds is really fast enough for most people. More hp wouldnt neccessarily mean faster times - they are more limited by traction than by hp and then the next limit would be the drivers ability to react to a problem (like peddaling in the event of smoking the tires)

In the same vein formula 1 is limited in lots of ways to try to control costs and make the playing field a little more level. Its not all about going faster - sometimes they just want a spectacle for the crowds.
              Phil Ball
              68 mustang coupe
              331 engine, AFR185 heads, comp270s cam, 650DP, Airgap manifold, C4 trans.

Comment

Yes it is, however feeble, a attempt by the sanctioning bodies to "level" the playing field.

Now if the limited the amount of money a team can throw at a race program you would see a lot more innovation come back into all forms of motorsports.
                sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                Co-Administrator

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Working...
                X