Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Header wrap.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header wrap.

I am interested in your opinions on the use of header wrap.
    There have been some concerns about damage to the tubes from excess heat in the metal.
    Any opinions?

Thats why I dont use it. When steel gets too hot it oxydizes (rusts) and breaks down. You could use it in short sections down near the starter motor to protect it but I try and stay away from it. I have ceramic coated headers and I dont notice any more heat than I had with the old iron log manifolds.
    Phil Ball
    68 mustang coupe
    331 engine, AFR185 heads, comp270s cam, 650DP, Airgap manifold, C4 trans.

Comment

as stated,the wrap aids in the rusting of the tubes. I wouldn't use it.
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Don't and won't use it for the reasons mentioned above .... and it looks lousy too, after a little while ...... JMHO
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.
          Looks as if i will wrap the car and leave the headers alone.
          There is a considerable investment in these headers and the same level of heat related issues. Looks like having them coated is the fix.
          What is the typical cost of cleaning-coating one set of headers and from personal experience would anyone care to recommend where to have this done?
          Many thanks!
          John

Comment

Originally posted by boss68 View Post
            Thank you gentlemen.
            Looks as if i will wrap the car and leave the headers alone.
            There is a considerable investment in these headers and the same level of heat related issues. Looks like having them coated is the fix.
            What is the typical cost of cleaning-coating one set of headers and from personal experience would anyone care to recommend where to have this done?
            Many thanks!
            John
            Nitroplate is the best commercialy advertised plater.
            $300 seems to be the average.
            I still like to use someone local if you can. That way if you are not happy with the finished product you don't have shipping costs.

I would not use Jet Hot if it were FREE!
            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
            Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
            NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
            First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
            First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
            5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
            Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
            Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
            Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
            Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
            Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
            www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

As everyone has already stated, do not use the wrap. I tried it many years ago before Al Gore invented the internet (so I didn't know any better), and it does keep the heat down. That is the only positive thing I have to say about it.

I got my Hooker long tubes Nitroplated and they look awesome! The coating greatly reduces underhood temps too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
              1966 Mustang Coupe, 347, AFR's, Vic Jr., 750 carb, solid flat tappet, C4, 3.55 gears, 235 drag radials. 11.47 @ 116.8 mph on a 1.69 60 foot.

Comment

headers

Had my Hooker super-comps ceramic coated -powdercoated look totaly awsome and don't think I notice any more heat than the stock exhaust. I'd do it again !!
                Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
                Arest-me-red paint
                351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

Comment

IMHO,i loved my HSComps coated longtubes thermal wrapped
                  I am sure it shortens there life somewhat,depends on how much you drive it
                  It really helped cut down the decibels
                  huge drop in underhood temps
                  I can pull sparkplugs right after hard run without burning skin
                  I wrapped entire system to rear bumper excluding muffs
                  Just my $.02

Comment

Working...
                  X