Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Build Plans Help - Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baxter View Post
    Didn't know the Hawks was crap.
    I didnt mean to make you think they were "crap". Just cheap.
    I have heard some horror stories but thats the internet for you. If you do go that way just be really careful to measure everything well.

I put my engine together with SCAT parts and everything measured PERFECT. Thats just one persons experience one time though.
    Phil Ball
    68 mustang coupe
    331 engine, AFR185 heads, comp270s cam, 650DP, Airgap manifold, C4 trans.

Comment

Originally posted by indyphil View Post
      I didnt mean to make you think they were "crap". Just cheap.
      I have heard some horror stories but thats the internet for you. If you do go that way just be really careful to measure everything well.

I put my engine together with SCAT parts and everything measured PERFECT. Thats just one persons experience one time though.
      Phil, I know what you mean. Almost every part will get kicked around by someone on the internet. Alex sells and recommends Comp cams, and they have a huge following. However, there are lots of horror stories claiming they are over hyped and have problems. One can always get a lemon, but my guess is most of these problems occur with the build(er). The way parts are advertised, often leads one to believe they are plug and play. Heads for instance, yes some can be put on and run out of the box, but anyone that listens to engine builders, will know that to make things work and run smoothly (and last), a lot more work should be done to match the particular engine.

Here, we get a high recommendation for Woody's business from one member, and another member "wouldn't buy a glass of water from that guy".

All we can do is gather information, and make an ed-u-ma-cated guess based on that info.

That is why I came on here, to get your imput. A lot of you have experiences putting together engines utilizing different parts. I am sure some worked, and some were not what you'd hoped. I am trying to find out if the parts I have, and/or planned on using should work well together.

I will call and speak with Woody, and hear what he thinks. I looked forward to checking out Alex's new Aluminum Heads.

I am guessing and hoping by Alex's short answers, that my proposed and current parts, with the substitution of the Victor Jr intake should work well.

More opinions are needed on the crankshaft before settling on one.

I really like the idea of the lighter weight rotating assembly, that is why I am going with Probe pistons and rods.

Obviously, one can throw more $ at this, and come up with something better. However, I am like most working people, I want the best bang for a reasonable amount.

I appreciate all your input. Hopefully, I can put together a nice engine for my special ride

Comment

Working...
      X