Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wheel Flexplate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wheel Flexplate problem

I'm putting a new flexplate on my car and am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with "the wheel" flexplates.

The distance from the converter pads to the bell housing is 15/16th's and the distance from the dust plate to the outside of the wheel flexplate is 1".

If I'm reading this right http://www.partshp.com/ConverterInstructions.htm this should be the reverse. My "B" measurement is 1/16th larger than my "A" measurement. I took a look at the stock ford flexplate and it is definately thinner than "the wheel". I'm certain I have the right one and am certain the converter is installed all the way in. Do I have any option other than trying another SFI flexplate?

thanks,
    don

Bryant Pond, Maine
    68 Mustang Coupe
    420W
    Pictures

I dont know. Mine bolted up perfectly. However, I am running a UltraBell also.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by mainer View Post
      I'm putting a new flexplate on my car and am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with "the wheel" flexplates.

The distance from the converter pads to the bell housing is 15/16th's and the distance from the dust plate to the outside of the wheel flexplate is 1".

If I'm reading this right http://www.partshp.com/ConverterInstructions.htm this should be the reverse. My "B" measurement is 1/16th larger than my "A" measurement. I took a look at the stock ford flexplate and it is definately thinner than "the wheel". I'm certain I have the right one and am certain the converter is installed all the way in. Do I have any option other than trying another SFI flexplate?

thanks,
      don
      Don, you should definately have some "space" between the flex plate and converter. There has to be wiggle room or you can burn up the front pump of the trans.
      Is the trans bolted up already?
      If so I would un-bolt it and try the converter again.
      We always have a good 3/8 to 1/2 inch between the converter and flex plates on our race cars. More on stock applications. we always have to draw the converter up to the flex plate.
      By the way, we use the Reactor products which are the thickest flex plates in the industry.
      sigpic

Alex Denysenko
      Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
      NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
      First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
      First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
      5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
      Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
      Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
      Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
      Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
      Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
      www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

I have "the wheel" also, never had any issues, again like Alex, always drawing convertor slightly to flexplate. No other fitment problems...Tim

Comment

Still can't figure this out. If someone has there's apart can you measure your dust plate to outside of flex plate measurement? Mine is exactly 1". I've been told by broader performance that he has heard of people have this problem with certain cranks and I do have a new 4340 eagle crank. Whole engine was rebuilt.

I made a bunch of changes which make this tough to diagnose. Tranny was rebuilt by jpt, converter was redone by broader performance who did the original, Could be the pa risc input shaft too. I need to start ruling things out.

If someone has a c4 input shaft they could measure that would help too. The flexplate is not the problem as I orginally thought as a measured it against a stock one.

thanks,
          don

Bryant Pond, Maine
          68 Mustang Coupe
          420W
          Pictures

Comment

i agree with alex. make sure that the converter is seated all the way. sometimes they are stubborn. make sure you get 3 clicks of it going in. if my memory serves me correct, it should be about 1 1/2 inches down in the bell housing. just my opinion, i could be wrong!!
            mike r
            racing is real
            everything else is just a game.
            73 mach 1 clone
            83 ltd wagon, street strip. 302
            81 capri-302-7.25 @93mph 1/8
            1.54 60ft 50 % of the fun dragracing is meeting people who will give you the shirt off their back to wipe the grease off your hands.
            M&M member #839 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mike470/adel2.jpg
            since nov. 2000

Comment

If someone has a converter they could measure snub to pad I'd appreciate that measurement too.

Capriman it's all apart I'll give it another shot. There's something weird about this for sure.

Just did, I can hear the converter snub hitting inside the tranny. I'm still only 14/16ths from bell to pad.

don
              Last edited by mainer; 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM.

Bryant Pond, Maine
              68 Mustang Coupe
              420W
              Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by mainer View Post
                If someone has a converter they could measure snub to pad I'd appreciate that measurement too.

Capriman it's all apart I'll give it another shot. There's something weird about this for sure.

don
                If you think of it, e-mail me tomorrow morning and I'll do it for you.

[email protected]
                sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
                NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
                First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
                First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
                5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
                Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
                Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
                Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
                Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
                Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
                www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Will do, appreciate any help on this.

Don

Bryant Pond, Maine
                  68 Mustang Coupe
                  420W
                  Pictures

Comment

Working...