Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Calvert front shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Calvert front shocks

I see Calvert has some new front shocks on their website just wondering what the gossip is one these. How good are they, better than CE as good as QA1??
    1968 Mustang Coupe Bracket Car 398W

I was talking to John at the PRI show in Orlando in 2006 and he said at that time there wasn't any 90/10 front shocks that he liked and was in the middle of testing to find the best. I guess he found them!
    Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
    727-847-7973
    www.gillisrestorations.com

Former NHRA SS/GA Record Holder 1969 Mustang
    Former NHRA SS/FA Record Holder 1968 Mustang

Comment

We have them in stock.
      Nobody else (other than Calvert has them on hand).
      They are not adjustable like the QA-1, but they are a true bolt in 90-10 shock.
      C&E shocks are pretty much worthless on a serious drag car.
      Or even a not so serious drag car.

Major benefit is that they are a true 90-10 shock at a economical price.

$98 a pair for everyone except Jerry.
      $119 a pair for you.
      sigpic

Alex Denysenko
      Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
      NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
      First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
      First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
      5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
      Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
      Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
      Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
      Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
      Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
      www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Alex i guess the extra money is for basically being a pain in your a-- for the last 6 years, with all the emails and phone calls.
        I can feel the love all the way here in Virginia, and just think all i want is one day my car to grow up and be just like yours!! HAHA!!
        1968 Mustang Coupe Bracket Car 398W

Comment

Originally posted by rusty428cj View Post
          I was talking to John at the PRI show in Orlando in 2006 and he said at that time there wasn't any 90/10 front shocks that he liked and was in the middle of testing to find the best. I guess he found them!
          Thats odd, I bought my carreras from him because that what he said works... did QA1 stop production of carrera after the buy out...?? My front shocks still seem to work just fine, no other cheap drag shock even comes close to a true 90/10... I had to drill and empty a set of lakewood 90/10 just to get them to to extend like a carrera 90/10...But the carrera's seem to hold the front of my car up more than I like...
          1999 GT~ procharged 511rwhp
          1965 2+2~ 289 for now... 363 Bennett engine ready to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by fastback brian View Post
            did QA1 stop production of carrera after the buy out...?? My front shocks still seem to work just fine, ...
            Yes Brian.

Just as soon as QA-1 sold out all of the true 90-10 and 50-50 Carrera drag shocks, the disscontinued the entire drag line and came out with a cheap copy. Only problem was that they didn't bother to tell anyone what they did.
            Ask John about the $10k worth of useless shocks he had to return to QA-1 after the did the changeover.
            QA-1 basically bought out Carrera to kill off the competion and get the oval track business.
            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
            Co-Administrator

NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Calvert Shocks

Brian, The Carrera shock you have was the best out there for the time and we liked them over any shock that was available, When they got bought out the design was changed and we returned a whole shipment of them. After that seeing that there was no suitable replacement shock we built our own, We made several versions and tested for 2 years before putting our name on these shocks. The Calvert Shock separates faster than the old Carrera or any shock out there, It also has dual stage valveing on the compression so it can land my car from a 4ft wheelie yet the second stage allows the car to settle on the top end.:beer:
              Mark Tallent
              Marketing Director
              Calvert Racing Suspensions
              E-Mail [email protected]
              Phone 661-728-9600

Comment

Shocks

Mark
                How well would they work with Moroso springs?
                Bob Smith

Comment

I will take a set. I will be calling you in a few days Alex.
                  Mike Gasdick 69 Cougar XR-7 , 14:1 358W Canfield heads, CalTrac's / split mono's, "Mighty Mite" C4 w/trans-brake. 11.31.so far.
                  2010 F150, 4.6L 2wd
                  2002 F250 Superduty 4x4 with a spark plug spittin', manifold crackin' , fuse box burnin , 5.4 !

Comment

Alex, once I'm back on me feet I'll be calling you to order a set. I can't wait
                    M&M #1240
                    Apr 2001
                    Ron

Comment

Whats the difference between the new calvert's shocks and QA1 Stocker Star.
                      I know the qa1 are externally adjustable. I have CE on my car right now but they don't let the front of the car come down at the other end.

Thanks
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Flyinglow67 View Post
                        Whats the difference between the new calvert's shocks and QA1 Stocker Star.
                        I know the qa1 are externally adjustable. I have CE on my car right now but they don't let the front of the car come down at the other end.

Thanks
                        Jason
                        About $104 a piece for starters.

QA-1 is a fully adjustable shock that you can tune to conditions.
                        Great track, tighten them up, crappy track loosen them up with a couple of twists on the knob. They weigh half as much as a steel shock.
                        Great if you have the budget for them.

The Calvert is a 90-10 front drag shock that has the lowest upward resistance of any steel shock on the market. Valving is such that there is a bump stop on return so you don't come crashing down, then they settle down completley by the 330 foot mark.

I would use "el cheapo" $9.95 shocks with holes drilled to drain the oil before using C&E's.

By the way, welcome to M&M !
                        sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                        Co-Administrator

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

So now I gotta ask, what shock is now the the best out for the rear using the split mono and caltrac's? Are the 5 way rancho's still worth keeping??
                          1999 GT~ procharged 511rwhp
                          1965 2+2~ 289 for now... 363 Bennett engine ready to go in.

Comment

Depends on who you ask.

We stock and sell them both*, but I still lean towards and recommend the QA-1 Stocker Star first for serious race applications.

*Calvert racing and MMR are the exclusive distributors of the RS9000 Rancho shocks.

Rancho discontinued them and replaced the line with the RSX series which is a whole bunch more expensive.
                            John struck a deal with Rancho to reproduce specific part numbers of the RS series and now has sole master distribution rights.
                            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                            Co-Administrator

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Alex,

What can you do for my 66 Fairlane front and rear? I'm also considering/planning on replacing my top shock tower mount with a flat plate. I assume I'll need a shorter shock to compensate?
                              '66 Fairlane, 351C, 4spd
                              12.28 @ 111

Comment

Working...
                              X