Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
.
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hydraulic roller lifters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hydraulic roller lifters

    im running a hyd roller retro fit set up on my 393w the one with the spider assembly. is there a max lift for these things and is it possible for the lifter to hit the tie bars and make noise.
    the reason i ask is i have been dealing with a strange kocking sound scince i built this thing and i cant figure it out. the motor has been out and dissasembled when i first discovered the noise but nothing was found, then i put a new set of lifters in it thinking i got a bad one or two fixed nothing then i asked my machinist he listened to it he thought the valve springs were too strong causing the lifters to bleed down replaced the valve springs and still nothing but i have been driving it and i makes good power and i have even had it to the drag strip runs great and i didnt have any metal in the oil or filter so i just figured it was a noisy cam profile but heres the kicker i put the old valve springs on is yesterday and the noise is louder than ever i have adjusted the valves a few times with no results also it gets louder when it warms up not much louder but i can tell the differance the cam is a comp custom grind .544 intake .555 exaust with a duration of 230intake and 236 exaust @.50 any help youguys could lend would be greatly appreciated

  • #2
    What are your cam, lifters and rockers out of? Are you running a reduced base circle cam (retro-roller) for your conversion or are you running a standard sized cam? The 5.0L hydraulic roller lifters don't work with a vintage block without the retro-roller cam as they stick out too far causing oil pressure issues and pushrod/rocker alignment issues. Also, what valve covers are you using? Do you have enough clearance between rocker and baffle?
    Daniel
    66 A-code 4spd coupe w/AC, now a carbed 5.0L w/T5z and 3.40 track-lok

    Comment


    • #3
      the cam is a retro fit cam thats what it says on the cam card, the lifters are crane oe style, and it a a ford racing spider assembly. im using tall cast aluminum ford racing valve covers and there is no issues as far as clearance that i can tell, there is no indication of contact anywhere. i even ran it with the covers off and i could still here the noise. I used a stethascope on each of the rocker studs and could hear it loud on the #5 and #7 cylinders it seems to be coming from under the intake. Im thinking that it has something to do with the small base cricle cam and retro fit setup. can i use a set of link bar style lifters on a small basecircle cam or do i just need to change the cam and lifters?

      Comment


      • #4
        what is your lash adjustment procedure?
        68 Mustang coupe NMCA Mean Street
        347 NA @3100lbs
        best so far: [email protected] with 1.43 60' on goodrich 275-15 drag radials looking for 10.20's!
        67 mustang 11-teens with 351W/C9OE heads and rusted out floor pan
        69 torino gt 351C 4sp
        78 F150 460 running low 14's
        02 powerstroke

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rancher69 View Post
          im running a hyd roller retro fit set up on my 393w the one with the spider assembly. is there a max lift for these things and is it possible for the lifter to hit the tie bars and make noise.
          the reason i ask is i have been dealing with a strange kocking sound scince i built this thing and i cant figure it out. the motor has been out and dissasembled when i first discovered the noise but nothing was found, then i put a new set of lifters in it thinking i got a bad one or two fixed nothing then i asked my machinist he listened to it he thought the valve springs were too strong causing the lifters to bleed down replaced the valve springs and still nothing but i have been driving it and i makes good power and i have even had it to the drag strip runs great and i didnt have any metal in the oil or filter so i just figured it was a noisy cam profile but heres the kicker i put the old valve springs on is yesterday and the noise is louder than ever i have adjusted the valves a few times with no results also it gets louder when it warms up not much louder but i can tell the differance the cam is a comp custom grind .544 intake .555 exaust with a duration of 230intake and 236 exaust @.50 any help youguys could lend would be greatly appreciated

          When you strart getting up over .500 lift with stock roller lifters they begin to fluctuate as they cannot stand the spring pressures required.

          These lifters will cure your problem and you can go back to your good race springs.


          http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3553
          sigpic

          Alex Denysenko
          Co-Administrator

          NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
          NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
          First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
          First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
          5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
          Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

          The Barry of BarrysGrrl

          Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
          Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
          Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
          Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
          Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
          www.moneymakerracing.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
            When you strart getting up over .500 lift with stock roller lifters they begin to fluctuate as they cannot stand the spring pressures required.

            These lifters will cure your problem and you can go back to your good race springs.


            http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3553
            I have run the link-bar hydraulic lifters to 9,000 rpm the last two seasons with good results. Cam is an ~0.650 lift Anderson Hi-Rev hydraulic roller. I run fairly high spring pressures. It has been my experience on the 8.2 deck stuff (R302 and stock block) that I can run just at 0.650 lift with the stock spyder setup. Anything above that (I ran a 0.697 lift setup one season) needs the link-bar or clearance issues arrise with the spider setup.

            Alex, just curious, but the lifters you link to in the other thread... can they handle my spring pressures? We are talking 240lb on the seat, and 600lb open. Would be good to know I have another option.
            Marc Arnold
            9.43 @ 142.6 & 5.95 @ 115.9, n/a 359
            My Cobra Page

            Comment


            • #7
              can you explain what you meen by the lifters fluctuate after about .500 lift
              because the noise im hearing seams to be only on the drivers side if they were fluctuating wouldnt all of them make noise and not just in one area?
              also i checked my pushrod length today and it looks like im a little long i have 7.950" in it now and the comp cams tech guy said that they sugest a 7.750 for my combo, i have a pushrod length checker but it only goes down to 7.800" and its very close could this be part of my problem? If so please explain.
              also is it possible that i have clearance issues with the liter bores? i was reading another post about this but the problem was with a 351c, can it be the same with a 351w?
              By the way thanks to everyone who has posted a reply about this i have been dealing with this for a while and i really appreciate all your feedback

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 9seccobra View Post
                I have run the link-bar hydraulic lifters to 9,000 rpm the last two seasons with good results. Cam is an ~0.650 lift Anderson Hi-Rev hydraulic roller. I run fairly high spring pressures. It has been my experience on the 8.2 deck stuff (R302 and stock block) that I can run just at 0.650 lift with the stock spyder setup. Anything above that (I ran a 0.697 lift setup one season) needs the link-bar or clearance issues arrise with the spider setup.

                Alex, just curious, but the lifters you link to in the other thread... can they handle my spring pressures? We are talking 240lb on the seat, and 600lb open. Would be good to know I have another option.
                We have used them at 250# on the seat Marc.
                sigpic

                Alex Denysenko
                Co-Administrator

                NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
                NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
                First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
                First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
                5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
                Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

                The Barry of BarrysGrrl

                Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
                Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
                Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
                Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
                Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
                www.moneymakerracing.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rancher69 View Post
                  can you explain what you meen by the lifters fluctuate after about .500 lift
                  because the noise im hearing seams to be only on the drivers side if they were fluctuating wouldnt all of them make noise and not just in one area?
                  also i checked my pushrod length today and it looks like im a little long i have 7.950" in it now and the comp cams tech guy said that they sugest a 7.750 for my combo, i have a pushrod length checker but it only goes down to 7.800" and its very close could this be part of my problem? If so please explain.
                  also is it possible that i have clearance issues with the liter bores? i was reading another post about this but the problem was with a 351c, can it be the same with a 351w?
                  By the way thanks to everyone who has posted a reply about this i have been dealing with this for a while and i really appreciate all your feedback
                  Well, for starters this is the first time that you have mentioned to us that the noise is only on one side.

                  .200 difference in push rod length is huge!

                  What I was hypothesizing is that the lifter plungers are possibly being pushed down too far in the lifter body bore causing excesive oil bleed off and giving you your noise.

                  Now I believe that you may actually be bottoming out your lifters if the push rods are indeed .200 long.
                  But, if the noise is only on one side for certain I would start looking elseware other than lifters.
                  sigpic

                  Alex Denysenko
                  Co-Administrator

                  NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
                  NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
                  First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
                  First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
                  5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
                  Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

                  The Barry of BarrysGrrl

                  Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
                  Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
                  Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
                  Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
                  Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
                  www.moneymakerracing.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the mor i listen to it is not accualy only one side but i was thinking the same thing about the lifters ond the puchrod length being too long im goint to put smaller pushrods in it and see what happens thanks again

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When you said only on the driver's side it said to me the exact problem I had with my wife's engine. I built her a 331 stroker with a '68 block and a retro-fit roller cam with .524" lift.

                      This was the first Ford engine I ever built. When I had the shop machine the block and install cam bearings and freeze plugs they left out the 3/4" plug (oiling system) that is on top of the block at the very back, just inside the rear intake manifold gasket surface. In this 3/4" hole you will see 2 holes about 1/4" in diameter. The one towards the passenger side is where the oil comes from and the one on the driver side is for the lifters on the driver's side. Without the 3/4" plug in place the oil will just shoot out of this hole onto the bottom side of your intake manifold. The lifters on the driver's side will be starved. Are you getting oil to the rockers on the driver's side? Check to see if this plug is in place. You have to remove the intake to do so, or do you already know?


                      For me, I was trusting the shop to take care of me. They replaced the plugs in the oiling holes in the front and back of the block and all of the freeze plugs, so I figured if this hole needed to be closed up they would have done it. After all, they've been in business, and racing, for almost 40 years.

                      Don't trust ANYONE'S work but your own.


                      Steve


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        just wanted to give everyone who helped an update.
                        i finnaly found my problem, it was the pushrods that i miss measured at the time of the build they were indeed .200" too long causing the exaust side rockers to hit the rocker studs, only the exaust because its a dual pattern cam and there is a little more lift on the exaust side. just got all the pushrods changed and valves adjusted and it sound like it should for the first time.
                        thank you guys for all of your suggestions they were all helpfull.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          :banana:
                          sigpic

                          Alex Denysenko
                          Co-Administrator

                          NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
                          NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
                          First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
                          First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
                          5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
                          Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

                          The Barry of BarrysGrrl

                          Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
                          Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
                          Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
                          Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
                          Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
                          www.moneymakerracing.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's such a wonderful feeling when you fix a thorn in the side like that.


                            Steve


                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X