Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure cookers ....

Anyone cook with a pressure cooker ? My wife had one and I remember how tender the meat would come out. The stew she made was unbelievable.
    Seems she could have put an old shoe in there and it would be tender enough to eat.
    So ..... I just bought one. Made a chuck roast and you could cut it with a fork !!!
    Anyone have any recipes or suggestions on how and what to cook in one of these ??
    Thanks........
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

I don't own one, Eddie - but I've been tempted to get one! Your mention of a chuck roast cooked in one of those babies made my mouth water!

Google will be your friend in your search- I just did a search or two and came up with a braised bacon and sauerkraut dish that sounds damn good!

Comment

We're poor, we use a crock pot.

Pam cooks a beef stew all day and it comes out magical. :beer:
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
      Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

boiled peanuts are great cooked in a pressure cooker!!!!unk: unk:
        mike r
        racing is real
        everything else is just a game.
        73 mach 1 clone
        83 ltd wagon, street strip. 302
        81 capri-302-7.25 @93mph 1/8
        1.54 60ft 50 % of the fun dragracing is meeting people who will give you the shirt off their back to wipe the grease off your hands.
        M&M member #839 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mike470/adel2.jpg
        since nov. 2000

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
          We're poor, we use a crock pot.
          I got mine at a QVC outlet store near me. 40% off and paid $32 ! Considering the money you can save with a cheaper cut of meat ... I think it will be pretty cost-effective !!
          Eddie "D"
          "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
          M&M Member #339.

Comment

We got our crock pot free with the marriage... :banana:
            I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
              We got our crock pot free with the marriage... :banana:
              That wasn't Free Steve... Lol..
              Bruce
              '66 Mustang Cp. (Met, Blue) 342-425Hp, 8" 3.55, C-4
              '86 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0 4 Speed

Comment

Suggestions? yes be careful. The ones produced now use pretty good safety designs, but it still comes down to ultimate safety of using it per the instructions, and if the seal wears out replace it. I don't know the details of this woman and what kind of pot she was using but this will make you respect its power
                http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/s...-accident-dies it also appears she was pressure cooking beans, which can clog the pressure relief valve, don't know for sure.

I have been wanting a stovetop broaster for some time, with those you pressure fry in oil, but those are quite different and expensive and extremely more dangerous. NEVER EVER EVER try frying with oil in a standard pressure cooker.
                Last edited by Ci8UUP; 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM.
                Ron

Comment

Originally posted by N2fords View Post
                  That wasn't Free Steve... Lol..
                  Bruce
                  Such is life!

I was no bargain for her, either...

Comment

So I bought one Eddie. Opted out of the broaster, thought that was too dangerous pressure frying in oil, plus I can go to the supermarket and get broasted chicken anytime.

Love the new cookers, they're nothing like mom and grandma used to use, all steaming up the windows and hissing loudly. I'm going to make pulled pork real soon, I'll tell ya how it turns out.
                    Ron

Comment

Tried both methods last night, automatic release and cold water release. Auto takes about 3-5 minutes till you can open the lid, cold water is instant, like 30 seconds, although its kind of nerveracking when you feel the lid of that cooker suck back down.

Whole chicken cut in half took under 20 minutes... 5 minutes for browning, another couple for the cooker to get up to pressure, then 10 minutes cooking time, sweet!

Tried short ribs, about 15 minutes but I would let them go another 5 next time, still a bit tough.
                      Ron

Comment

I love mine. I do find you need lots of liquid when you cook, and yes, beans just might explode the thing. I usually mix an envelope of Au Jus powder, with at least a cup and a half of water, plus some good garlic marinade.
                        "C" I also usually cook almost twice as much time as the little recipe book that came with the cooker says.
                        If they say a pork roast 45 minutes, I do mine an hour and 20 minutes.
                        As long as you have the liquid in there, you are good to go.
                        I cannot believe how good the meat turns out. My girlfriend (an excellent cook) brags to everybody what a great cook I am. I give the credit to the pressure cooker.
                        One night we had company. I bought a pretty good roast. (I forgot what cut) ..& our company is still talking about the delicious and tender meal they had at Tina & Eddie's.
                        They are a very cost effective thing for the kitchen. Less electric or gas to cook as time is cut more than half, and saving on less expensive cuts of meat, that come out tender like butter.
                        Glad you are enjoying it.
                        Try a stew. It is scrumptous !!!!!!!!
                        Eddie "D"
                        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Did pressure cooker corned beef last night, AMAZING! 90 minutes and perfectly tender, more tender than any oven bake could get.
                          Ron

Comment

Turkey legs, 50 minutes on high pressure, the bones are in the trash as I write this, soooooo good.
                            Ron

Comment

Just noticed you resurrected this one Ron. I am on a real diet (Lost 20 pounds) and haven't had just about any meat, but if I make a pork roast for my family (SIL, G-Kids & Daughter) which they love I'll either do the pressure cooker or the 'Dutch Oven.'
                              I love both.
                              Eddie "D"
                              M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                              X