Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure cookers ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made pressure cooker mushroom risotto last night, wow! outstanding and fast!
    Ron

Comment

My wife picked up one of those electric ones a while back and that thing is great. Takes a lot of the guesswork compared to the old stove top ones.
      Ed S.
      M&M #411

68 S-code FB GT , 68 J-code Sprint"B" , 2015 F350 XLT Crew Cab

“Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot."

Comment

WOW !!!!!! I started this thread way back in July 2011 !!! Living alone a lot of the time, and appetite lessening 'big time' as I get old, I haven't used my pressure cooker much. But the last few beef roasts and pork roast (The pork I always make when my grandson comes over. We both love pork, but ONE difference .... Christopher makes a pork and broccoli rabe sandwich. Yes I'm Italian but I don't care for broccoli rabe.)

I think I mentioned that I also bought a 'Dutch Oven'. I never knew what that was. Mine is a very HEAVY pot with a very heavy lid. It has a small grate on the bottom, and a large one on top, for steaming veggies I guess.
        I'll put a pork roast in there that was marinated in an herb garlic marinade. Put the pork in the pot and pour in chicken broth to cover the pork. Bring it quickly to a boil (high heat). When it boils, bring it down to medium heat and cook for at LEAST three hours.
        Constantly checking to make sure that at least 75% of the pork is always covered by liquid (more chicken broth or a little water).​

Yes you use more gas or electric, since the pressure cooker cooks it in 1/4th of the time, but I like to do it this way also, just to change up the routine. I also think it comes out just as tender & moist. And truthfully, maybe a little more of each.

My favorite pressure cooker dish is STEW !! Oh Man ..... chunks of beef and a mix of fresh vegetables ... carrots, potato chunks, corn, brocchili, cauliflower, and any veggies you like.
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Did you get one of the enameled Dutch Ovens or pure cast? I have an enameled one for indoor use and 3 cast iron ones for camping and outdoor use. I used to use them a lot when I was a Cub Scout leader but the use has tapered off since. Fast forward to a couple of months ago.... one of the woman person's friends just got into Dutch oven cooking and wanted to have a dutch oven dinner party. We drew the appetizers so I whipped up a beer cheese fondue and a bread pot fondue. Another guy (another former Scout leader) did potato sides and a sausage dish. It was all out of this world. So, now I am back to looking at Dutch oven recipes.
          Rick Stevens
          Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
          - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
          - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Cast Iron Rick ... weighs a ton !!!
            Eddie "D"
            '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
            "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
            M&M Member #339.

Comment

Cast is the only way to roll. I have 2 12" and 1 10" outdoor/fire type ovens and my porcelain clad one is cast underneath.

The downfall is a 12" oven will produce 10ish servings and right now it's only 2 place settings most of the time.
              Rick Stevens

- 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

I love the Dutch oven! I have an enameled one and use it constantly for one pot meals and soup. Also have a cast iron wok, talk about HEAVY! but man I stick that thing on the outdoor turkey fryer burner and that baby is smoking hot when the food hits it and doesn't drop in temp.
                Ron

Comment

Speaking of giant woks.... has anyone used a plow disc wok over a turkey fryer? They look pretty easy to make if you can weld. Here's a commercial example:

http://www.discgrill.com/

And a how to:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Plow-Disk-Wok/

Rick Stevens

- 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Working...
                  X