Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread Starters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread Starters

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for bread starters? I have seen countless sourdough and Amish friendship bread ones online but if someone has Grandma's they can share, I would appreciate it.

I have recently made a few dutch oven breads, thinking about stepping up my game.

Rick Stevens
    Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
    - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
    - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

What is a bread starter?
    Ron

Comment

A bread starter is a mix of flour, water, sometimes sugar, and some kind of leavening agent - can be yeast or some other kind of bacteria. Sometimes the natural occurring yeast in wheat flour is all that's used. It's allowed to ferment and when you are ready to make your bread, you add it to your other base ingredients, then pull off a little of it for starter purposes. Sourdough, Amish friendship, and many artisan breads are made this way. There are starters running around that have been around for generations. They are supposed to add complexity and flavor depth to the bread.

Like everything floating around the web, there are tons of opinions and methods, some good but most no so much. I might have to head to the library and dig through some old cookbooks and see what I can find.
      Rick Stevens
      Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
      - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
      - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Working...
      X