Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living in a land mine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in a land mine

I find myself feeling this way lately since the 'new' house I built in 1990 will be turning 25 next year and I think that it won't be long until the appliances start dying (our washer and dryer are on their last legs) and we have to replace them, along with things like the furnace, the roof, the driveway...

Not to mention the American made stuff that lasted this long will be replaced by overseas crap with a fraction of the life span of what they're replacing at a much higher cost, of course.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

At the rate we keep getting hailed around here, my house gets new windows, roof, and paint pretty often.

I have just started replacing appliances that were 13 years old, so getting 25 years out of them is pretty impressive. Both of my water heaters have been replaced. I am probably going to start replacing flooring in the spring.

Now my 20 year old Craftsman mower runs like a champ still....
    Rick Stevens
    Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
    - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
    - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

My house is 65 years old. We bought it from my folks 15 years ago. Replaced the three large windows a couple of years ago, a sliding glass door and a small window after that and did the roof and gutters this year. We replace all the appliances within a few years of moving in. Yesterday the oven died while my wife was baking shortbread. I called an appliance repair shop and they diagnosed it as being the main control board. The part was over $400 and by the time the guy had done the repair he said it would have been well over $600. We opted to go and get a new oven.

25 years service out of any appliance is very impressive. I suggest that you don't worry about this stuff Steve. Consider it maintaining your home and just assume that you will need to replace things, just as you need to maintain your vehicles by replacing things that wear out. You really can't avoid it, so prepare for it.
      Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
      '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

I am happy that things lasted as long as they did, I attribute that to just being two of us. I just have a vision of them all dying at the same time.
        "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

If you need to unload a certain '70 Mach 1 for remodeling/home expenses, I'm at the front of the line!!
          M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
            I just have a vision of them all dying at the same time.
            That part is very unlikely to happen. Don't worry...be happy...!
            Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
            '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
            Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
              I find myself feeling this way lately since the 'new' house I built in 1990 will be turning 25 next year and I think that it won't be long until the appliances start dying (our washer and dryer are on their last legs) and we have to replace them, along with things like the furnace, the roof, the driveway...

Not to mention the American made stuff that lasted this long will be replaced by overseas crap with a fraction of the life span of what they're replacing at a much higher cost, of course.
              Steve & others in the market--We just replaced our JUNK Whirlpool Estate washer that started having problems (would only spin ~60% of the time). It was ~9 years old and the symptom appeared a year ago. Woulda been ~$250 to repair it, then questions would linger.

After quite a bit of shopping, rather than going a similar route and expecting perhaps 5-10 years of service, we went for a Speed Queen. It was twice the money ($740, I think) but according to the dealer is a commercial bottom end with a consumer panel. Interestingly enough, the guy said, "It might make some noise for the first five loads because it's breaking in."

You know why that would be? IT'S BECAUSE IT HAS STEEL GEARS INSTEAD OF PLASTIC JUNK! It also has a transmission rather than the other kind of drive (not sure what that's called--some kind of coupling) and a separate motor. Along with that it has a standard, tall agitator rather than the short unit that goes with the "water jets pounding the laundry to get the dirt out" idea (there have been complaints about that type not getting heavily-soiled clothes (Ford grease? ) clean in one shot).

It also has a more old-style mechanical panel instead of an all-electronic thing that, in some cases, has to be replaced in it's entirety when something goes wrong ($$$). It has stainless steel inner tub and a porcelain/steel outer (Note: Apparently, some smells that develop in washers are due to crap sticking to plastic tubs, others are due to "effecient" machines using less water so less crap gets flushed out).

But the piece de resistance--as I understood the salesman--is that the Speed Queen was made in WISCONSIN! :banana:

So if there's anything left of American quality, maybe this is it. The transmission warranty was extended from 10 to 12 years, so we're optimistic...

http://www.speedqueen.com/home/en-us...eed-queen.aspx
              Paul N.

'84 EXP: 5.0, T-5, 4.30 9", Fat Tires
              Backyard Experiment

sumptus censum ne superet
              (let not your spending exceed your income)

Comment

Wow Paul, that's great to know. Thanks! I just checked, and Speed Queen even has a dealer here in town. unk:

Comment

Funny how you spend good money on expensive appliances and get the extended warranty for 5 years and the thing breaks at 5 years and month isn't it?

Then the repair costs about half the price of buying a new one, so you need to ponder do I fix it or replace it?
                  Ron

Comment

I'm just waiting for my septic system to deal me the death blow. Guess how much it would cost to hook up to the sewer? $30K !!!

About $10K to physically hook up, $20K for the rights to hook up
                    Ron

Comment

Boy, I'd love a 25 year old house! Our house is probably 150, or more! It was moved to it's current location in the mid 60's, a new top from the top of the walls installed, and a carport with utility room added. My floors are 1.5" thick, .75 yellow pine tong and groove, with .75 hardwood tong and groove on top of that. The walls and ceiling are also .75 tong and groove pine, inside and out, with real wood paneling inside and asphalt siding overlaid on the bottom half with brick and the top half with cedar siding. My studs are rough 2"x4", seals are the same size as railroad ties! And nothing is square! I don't think they even used a square anywhere when it was built, just cut it and put it together! It's solid, but with no insulation and no way to put any in, it's hard to heat and cool. Oh, I have put on two roofs, about time for another one.

As for the appliances, we've been married here 37 years, the wife lived here when she was growing up, so she has been here 54 years. We've bought mostly used appliances, a couple of refrigerators, three ranges, three water heaters, 5 or 6 washers and dryers. Bought one new set of washer and dryer, Kenmore, lasted probably 6-7 years. Best washer we ever bought was a used Maytag, it was 10 years old at least when we bought it and it lasted another 10 years! We liked it so well that when it finally died, we bought a new Maytag, it lasted until the warranty ran out. Whirlpool bought out Maytag, and cheapened them up. Went back to Kenmore, at least we get 5-6 years out of them.

Most appliances are still assembled in the US, but like everything else, use a lot of foreign parts.
                      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                        Boy, I'd love a 25 year old house!
                        Are you sure of that? From my experience with this house, it seems that 1990 was when they started building them cheap, for example my house was built with OSB. Garbage. The builder told me it was state-of-the-art. Bullshyt. My floors creak like this was a 150 year old house and the whole house creaks and groans with changes with the temperature. All the electricals and plumbing are the cheapest switches and lamps and fixtures they could get their hands on and failed early on. I often think I would have replaced a lot less things had I bought an older house.

Comment

I think of my house as I do my aches and pains. After 60 years I feel like a time bomb.
                          Phil
                          Friends are like wedgies..They know your inner self..They're intimately close..And it feels great when you pick out a good one.

Comment

I see what you mean, both have their advantages and disadvantages. No way to stop all the cracks in our old hose, it gets pretty drafty in windy winter weather. Believe me, I've tried. And if creaks and groans with temp changes too, just the nature of an old house I guess. I redid most of my electrical a few years back, it was a hack job with everything on two fuses! It's a wonder it didn't burn down. Got stuff split up and a new service panel with breakers now. No osb here, it's all built of 3/4" tong and groove southern yellow pine.

I just hooked up a gas fireplace today, wow, it really makes a difference. Will probably use some propane, but boy, it sure heats good. Much better that the electric heaters we were using.
                            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                            -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

To give you an idea of the quality out there these days, a friend of mine just replaced ALL the windows in his 13 year old house. Even though they were triple pane the seals around them dried out and cracked and they were as drafty as a 200 year old shack. He tried to get new rubbers but the window company went out of business and replacement parts are nonexistent. When the new windows were installed they discovered the builder didn't even install them right, there were only four nails holding them on, there was no chalking anywhere, and the resulting water that had been leaking in had dryrotted the sheathing and there was mold everywhere.

People have no morals at all these days, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X