Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Takata air bags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

around the end February or early March I had called the dealer about the air bags & was told they were waiting for them.
    out of curiosity I called another dealer & asked about the bags. I was told the parts will need to be ordered so I thought all was ok.............
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
      Blue,
      I feel your frustration...... I wish I had some magic wand I could lend you to make it come together.
      Have you considered checking out another Ford dealer?

Say Craig,
      Were you able to take the time to ask about the timeline regarding the airbag recall for my 2010 Fusion?

Although I am not happy with the idea of having to be crammed into the pint-size Mitsubishi Mirage - I would be even less happy if my wife was involved in an incident with the Fusion and was injured due to the air bags.

How about this - what will they do with my Fusion for the next 3-4 months? I suspect it may be parked in an open lot in the back of the property to, at the least, bake in the Sun and let the dash split, let mice move in (with our previous car, a Taurus, it sat for three weeks and mice moved in and built a nest on top of the fuel tank and chewed the wires at the pump), let the battery go to crap due to not being charged for a couple months (or would they be sharp enough to disconnect it), or at the worst, be vandalized and MY insurance would need to deal with the damage/theft which occurred at their site?

Maybe I'm simply tripping out, if so, someone tell me so,,,,,but I have seen and heard of such things happening...so there I go, thinking about my piss-poor luck.....

Ryan
      Regarding the Fusion/MKZ airbag parts, we only got our notification days ago, absolutely no info yet as far as parts availability. I didnít even know they expanded the recall to the Fusions until you said something. Takes a few weeks for the inflator manufacturer to get ramped up for new parts.

Regarding damage,, iíll start by saying when we perform safety recalls and something is damaged as a direct result OF THE PERFORMANCE OF THE RECALL, (damages are generally frozen or broken bolts), Ford has $$$$ reserved to repair those kinds of things. We STILL see the early 2000ís F150 fuel tank strap recalls come in. Some of these idiots come in with the fuel tanks dragging on the ground because they ignored multiple recall notices. BOTH straps rust completely through, dropping the tank and all of the evap stuff that goes with it. Guess what? Ford bends over and buys them a new tank, filler neck, and anything else that got damaged. Good thing Iím not a Ford bean counter. Iíd replace the straps.....but make the customer buy the rest of the shyt!!!

Regarding your ďscenarioĒ....FIRST of all, youíd have to be able to prove that your dash wasnít split, mice werenít already taking up residence, and you have a receipt for your battery. Take plenty of date/time stamped pictures.
      You get past all that and prove that any/all of that stuff happened while your car was waiting for parts DUE TO THE RECALL, then I would assume there would be assistance to repair said damage that was caused directly from Ford having to keep your car while parts were being manufactured.

One of the sayings we professional technicians have in our field is.....ĒWE DIDNíT MAKE IT, WE DIDNíT BREAK ITĒ.
      I understand when a person buys a $20k, $25k, $30k, $35k, $40k+++ vehicle, you expect/want it to be PERFECT. Unfortunately theyíre not perfect.....and they never will be. Add into the equation that Ford (AND Honda, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, etc etc) didnít manufacturer these inflators, and 1000ís of other parts that make up the car. A lot of the stuff that goes into these cars, especially safety stuff, is simply required by the feds.

We have enough problems sometimes just figuring out some of the really tough problems with these vehicles without having to deal, DAILY, with the poor workmanship, poorly designed parts, and all the other issues created by the manufacturers.
      I canít speak for the foreign car makers, but the domestics (Iím talking Ford, since I work for a Ford dealership) have NO affiliation with the actual manufacturing of these vehicles. Yes, we have the big blue oval on a sign in front of the dealership, and our technical training comes from Ford, but thatís just about where it ends for us. We (dealership service advisors, technicians) get just as frustrated as you are at a lot of the stuff we have to deal with. I make posts here regularly about poorly made/designed parts on newer Ford vehicles

M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I don't think either of mine are in a recall, But I need to check anyway when I get a chance.

I've been against air bags since they first came out, still don't like them. Never did like the idea of having a bomb in front of me explode and knock the crap out of me. I know, they are probably safer than hitting the wheel or windshield, but I still don't like them. Wouldn't buy anything that had them for several years until I had to.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Hey Craig,
          I didn't mean to get you all stirred up.....but I can now see some of the crap you have to endure as well.
          I thank you for looking into the Fusion recall timeline and for your explanation on how storage damage is handled at your dealership and to the extent you know how others do it.
          I am seriously considering stopping up to our dealership tomorrow and see how/where our Fusion is being stored and do as you suggest, take some pictures and hopefully speak to someone there about my concerns. If I do, I'll come back here to share my experience......

Thanks again, Craig thanks for all that you do here at M&M....

Ryan
          Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Hey Craig,
            I didn't mean to get you all stirred up.....but I can now see some of the crap you have to endure as well.
            I thank you for looking into the Fusion recall timeline and for your explanation on how storage damage is handled at your dealership and to the extent you know how others do it.
            I am seriously considering stopping up to our dealership tomorrow and see how/where our Fusion is being stored and do as you suggest, take some pictures and hopefully speak to someone there about my concerns. If I do, I'll come back here to share my experience......

Thanks again, Craig thanks for all that you do here at M&M....

Ryan
            Sure thing, and sorry for coming across as "stirred up".....I surely recognize and appreciate the customers (your) viewpoint as well.

Regarding the pictures thing....the main reason I mentioned it is because we actually had an employee (a porter) several years ago (he's been fired for a couple of years now for insubordination) who had a Windstar in the shop for that infamous "rusted out front subframe" recall debacle. (Boy, that recall (and the rear axle rusting out) was a bad deal!!)

His vehicle failed the subframe inspection and needed a new one, but had to sit and wait. New subframes were 6 months out until Ford had manufactured enough to cover the recall. Anyway, after 6 or 7 months, his subframe came in and we installed it. Only problem, after we installed it, "all of a sudden"..... his transmission was bad. He went round and round convincing Ford his transmission was fine prior to.

Make a long story short, even though some of us knew his 300,000 mile turd of a Windstar probably had transmission problems before, Ford picked up the tab for a used trans and the labor to put it in. I honestly think our management had some input, financially, but who knows.
            Funny thing, a few months later the engine overheated and he scrapped the vehicle

That story was kind of an apples/oranges comparison to your concern (his vehicle being an old POS, and yours I assume is still in good to great condition), but the advice is the same. It's a good idea to document anything and everything that you might be able to foresee being an issue with a vehicle sitting. The recalls do advise the dealerships to start and let the vehicles run every week or so, but whether or not your particular service dept "remembers" to start all of those vehicles is something that's up to them. If your car is sitting outside and is accessible, I'd probably go up there myself every couple of weeks and start it myself.

If you have a remote start, it would be as easy as doing a drive by!
            M&M Member #91
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

My son's 2010 Stang got the recall. I had the driver side done a year ago. Then I started getting recall notices in the mail starting in maybe March of 18 or so. I initially ignored them thinking their paperwork hadn't caught up yet, but finally after the third notice, I decided to call them and set them straight that it had been done. Glad I did. Turns out this round was for the passenger side. I would have thought they'd have done them both at the same time, but it looks like I'll be headed back to the dealer to polish this off.
              It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post
                My son's 2010 Stang got the recall. I had the driver side done a year ago. Then I started getting recall notices in the mail starting in maybe March of 18 or so. I initially ignored them thinking their paperwork hadn't caught up yet, but finally after the third notice, I decided to call them and set them straight that it had been done. Glad I did. Turns out this round was for the passenger side. I would have thought they'd have done them both at the same time, but it looks like I'll be headed back to the dealer to polish this off.
                When I strarted this rant...er,,, thread....regarding the airbags in our Fusion, I mentioned having the airbags done earlier in my '06 Ranger. What I didn't say was they had replaced-due-to-recall the passenger's side airbags in the Ranger, maybe around early '16. Then last winter they recalled both sides...resulting in the replacement of the passenger's side AGAIN! It's things like that which make you wonder,,,,Hmmm,, do the 'BIG Wheels of Manufacturing' really know WTH they are doing?!

Ryan

Comment

When I strarted this rant...er,,, thread....regarding the airbags in our Fusion, I mentioned having the airbags done earlier in my '06 Ranger. What I didn't say was they had replaced-due-to-recall the passenger's side airbags in the Ranger, maybe around early '16. Then last winter they recalled both sides...resulting in the replacement of the passenger's side AGAIN! It's things like that which make you wonder,,,,Hmmm,, do the 'BIG Wheels of Manufacturing' really know WTH they are doing?!

Ryan
                  Exactly. My guess is they knew they didn't have all the parts to do two on everyone's, so figured they'd do the driver's side first, then get around to doing the passenger side. I have to think they're pretty much the same part? Maybe not...passenger bag is typically bigger I think. Sounds like your Ranger they did in the reverse order. Sigh...
                  It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
                  '66 Coupe C code
                  '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Well, it's been a week. At 7:30PM tonight, a beautiful 70*F, dry, Friday evening......we went and checked on our Fusion at the Ford dealer....and they were closed. However, I was able to slowly drive around the car lot and located our Fusion in the back of the lot. Parked on sand (which is better than in the tall weeds). We had a key, so we started it and let it run for about 10 minutes. All was good. I had hoped to talk to someone about any idea as to how long the wait was going to be....but no luck, since NO ONE was there.......... When do normal people that work during the day go to buy a car or get service? I guess between 8am to 6pm, Mon-Fri. or Saturday 8a to Noon.......

Ryan

Comment

Well, it's been a week. At 7:30PM tonight, a beautiful 70*F, dry, Friday evening......we went and checked on our Fusion at the Ford dealer....and they were closed. However, I was able to slowly drive around the car lot and located our Fusion in the back of the lot. Parked on sand (which is better than in the tall weeds). We had a key, so we started it and let it run for about 10 minutes. All was good. I had hoped to talk to someone about any idea as to how long the wait was going to be....but no luck, since NO ONE was there.......... When do normal people that work during the day go to buy a car or get service? I guess between 8am to 6pm, Mon-Fri. or Saturday 8a to Noon.......

Ryan
                      No Fusion airbag parts are available yet although we have written up several customers vehicles and provided them with loaners.

One thing you need to check into at your dealership. There is now a "Restricted Use Agreement" form included in the recall. The recall is 16S26, the form is attachment 9-S3. It allows the customer to drive their vehicle either to their home, or another a place of storage, and NOT DRIVE the vehicle while awaiting parts availability, because Ford is supplying the customer a loaner. You have to sign and date that you agree. The dealership gives you the original and we keep a copy.

I imagine this is so dealerships don't have to store a bunch of customers cars on their lots (because honestly, we don't have the room)Ö.AND....I imagine it gets the dealership out of the liability of damage happening to the vehicle while it's on our lot. Your dealership should have called you and advised you of this once it came out, which was roughly a week ago.
                      M&M Member #91

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                        No Fusion airbag parts are available yet although we have written up several customers vehicles and provided them with loaners.

One thing you need to check into at your dealership. There is now a "Restricted Use Agreement" form included in the recall. The recall is 16S26, the form is attachment 9-S3. It allows the customer to drive their vehicle either to their home, or another a place of storage, and NOT DRIVE the vehicle while awaiting parts availability, because Ford is supplying the customer a loaner. You have to sign and date that you agree. The dealership gives you the original and we keep a copy.

I imagine this is so dealerships don't have to store a bunch of customers cars on their lots (because honestly, we don't have the room)Ö.AND....I imagine it gets the dealership out of the liability of damage happening to the vehicle while it's on our lot. Your dealership should have called you and advised you of this once it came out, which was roughly a week ago.
                        Sub,
                        Thanks for the info!! I will follow up with our dealer to see if the 'Restricted Use Agreement" is valid/available with them.
                        For the most part, they ( https://www.edkoehn.net/ ) have delivered us satisfactory / good service work over the last few years with our Ford Taurus, Ranger and Fusion daily drivers. I hope this works out well too....

Ryan

Comment

no air bag recall for my 05 grand marquis. but it did indicate a recall for the head light module, but i have already replaced mine, and kept the old one so that one day i can upgrade it with higher capacity relays.
                          64 falcon
                          66 mustang
                          76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                          and life is but an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by rbohm View Post
                            no air bag recall for my 05 grand marquis. but it did indicate a recall for the head light module, but i have already replaced mine, and kept the old one so that one day i can upgrade it with higher capacity relays.
                            Thatís recall bypasses the old LCM with an upgraded unit thatís built with better relays and more robust solder joints. We wire it directly into the LCM circuits then tuck the new box under your dash where youíll have to really dig to see it.
                            Ive installed a bunch of them on cars that currently have no issues, itís a good thing to have done because those old LCMís seem to always fail at the worst times....usually in middle of the night when out of town passing thru a town with no hotels or Ford dealerships....lol!
                            M&M Member #91

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

I have to think they're pretty much the same part? Maybe not...passenger bag is typically bigger I think. Sounds like your Ranger they did in the reverse order. Sigh...
                              I canít remember what airbag inflators were recalled first and in which order, but itís all about parts availability. These vehicles are old now and considered obsolete in the Ford parts world, therefore Ford (and all the rest of the manufacturers) had to get the inflator manufacturer to step up, redesign them and then manufacture them.

Combine that with the fact that Takata is now bankrupt due to all of the lawsuits, federal fines, AND, having to get another manufacturer to redesign and build the new inflators, the MILIONS of cars involved, and this may give you some insight as to why its taking so long to get these recalls ramped up and completed. Weíre not just talking Ford cars here, itís every car that had a Takata airbag.

As for both sides being the same part, they are not. As you stated, the passenger airbags are larger, and so are the passenger inflators. The drivers inflators are essentially round, sorta the size of, letís say, a glazed donut. The passenger side is a long cylindrical shape, sort of like a paper town roll, only thicker. Sorry, I donít have any pics but Iím sure you can look them up on the net.
                              Last edited by submariner mustanger; 06-24-2018, 07:28 AM.
                              M&M Member #91

Comment

Couldnít find the Ranger recall, but hereís what we have to do on the Mustang. Essentially the same as the Ranger.
                                Drivers: https://youtu.be/NggRA_ebknE

Passenger: https://youtu.be/jYMSkWX9dRc
                                M&M Member #91

Comment

Working...
                                X