Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Takata air bags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just fu**ing great!! While I was snooping around YouTube looking for the videos I posted above, I came across this. I didnít even know the new Mustangs had a passenger airbag recall....

https://youtu.be/27Y2XuVKIG4
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
      Just fu**ing great!! While I was snooping around YouTube looking for the videos I posted above, I came across this. I didnít even know the new Mustangs had a passenger airbag recall....

https://youtu.be/27Y2XuVKIG4
      Crazy that it's on YouTube before you even were made aware of it.......!!
      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Crazy that it's on YouTube before you even were made aware of it.......!!
        Iíve just havenít done one.....yet. Because the recall # starts with 17, it means it came out in 2017.
        Hopefully itís a build date thing where only a few vehicles are affected. I donít want to pull all those instrument panels just to replace airbags.
        M&M Member #91
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Thatís recall bypasses the old LCM with an upgraded unit thatís built with better relays and more robust solder joints. We wire it directly into the LCM circuits then tuck the new box under your dash where youíll have to really dig to see it.
          Ive installed a bunch of them on cars that currently have no issues, itís a good thing to have done because those old LCMís seem to always fail at the worst times....usually in middle of the night when out of town passing thru a town with no hotels or Ford dealerships....lol!
          the problem, at least according to the guys on crownvic.net, is that the relays ford used in the LCM were rated to handle a mere ten amps, and they tend to burn out over time. mine lasted twelve years before the one burned out. and there are many different fixes, like replacing the offending relay with one that can handle at least 15 amps, or replacing the offending relay with an external relay, or even using an external relay for teh head lights, and just using the LCM to energize the external relays.

i think i will use a combination, upgrade the relays in the LCM, and use external relays to run the headlights. that should solve the problem forever.
          64 falcon
          66 mustang
          76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
          and life is but an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by rbohm View Post
            think i will use a combination, upgrade the relays in the LCM, and use external relays to run the headlights. that should solve the problem forever.
            ....or you can let one of those young squirrely techs (I say squirrely because itís TIGHT under there) dive under your dash, perform the recall.....for free.....and solve any lighting issue forever....or at least for the life of the vehicle.
            M&M Member #91

Comment

well as i noted earlier, its already done. i bought a replacement module off ebay, it was one assembled in a ford plant in mexico, and had it installed. cost me like $150 total.
              64 falcon
              66 mustang
              76 el camino

Comment

Originally posted by rbohm View Post
                well as i noted earlier, its already done. i bought a replacement module off ebay, it was one assembled in a ford plant in mexico, and had it installed. cost me like $150 total.
                Oh, I got cha...I did read that.
                Not sure but you might be able to get some sort of a refund if you have a receipt etc.
                Iíd have to check the recall to see what it says.
                M&M Member #91

Comment

what a surprise, today the dealer called to tell me the air bags are in. so the appointment is for this coming Thursday morning......
                  34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
                    what a surprise, today the dealer called to tell me the air bags are in. so the appointment is for this coming Thursday morning......
                    Woo Hoo!! Finally!!
                    M&M Member #91

Comment

I hope you report back here with your results, Blue! I'm pulling for ya that it will go smoooooth........

Ryan

Comment

Oh, I got cha...I did read that.
                        Not sure but you might be able to get some sort of a refund if you have a receipt etc.
                        Iíd have to check the recall to see what it says.
                        perhaps, but i dont care. the new box only cost me $100 plus shipping, and the dealer might make me give them the old box to prove that i replaced it. but since i want to upgrade it at some point, i am keeping it.
                        Last edited by rbohm; 07-01-2018, 03:43 PM.
                        64 falcon
                        66 mustang
                        76 el camino

Comment

I guess the air bags were easy to install as in less than an hour the truck was ready to go. I cant tell if they had anything apart so i I am keeping
                          all the paper work for this due to the run around for parts for 2 years..................
                          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I guess the air bags were easy to install as in less than an hour the truck was ready to go. I cant tell if they had anything apart so i I am keeping
                            all the paper work for this due to the run around for parts for 2 years..................
                            The write up, printing the repair order, and getting the truck into the tech takes longer than the actual recall itself. I can do both inflators in 15 mins....paperwork takes another 5 mins. Ford pays us 1/2 hour for both.

The only thing you may notice that your vehicle was worked on.....is if you keep your glovebox filled with misc junk.
                            If you do, itís most likely not in the same order as it was before the recall.
                            The bolts that hold the passenger airbag in place are accessed by opening and dropping the glovebox door past the stops. If itís full, I just let everything hit the floorboard. Iím not going to go digging thru all the customers crap.

I did one last week where the glovebox was full of tampons, napkins, pens, straws, chapstick, and a bunch of other shyt that I canít remember. Basically, everything except a pair of gloves.....and an owners manual.
                            M&M Member #91

Comment

Good to hear, Blue!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                                Thanks for the info!! I will follow up with our dealer to see if the 'Restricted Use Agreement" is valid/available with them.
                                The dealer was notified of the agreement. They were very curious as to how I knew about the agreement... LOL (I didn't let them know we M&Mers have a secret weapon, Submariner Mustanger!) I plan to pick up the Fusion this weekend and bring it back home. The wife will still be driving the eco-box Mitsubishi Mirage, but at least her Fusion will be safe in our garage. We'll likely start it weekly, let it warm up, drive it "a mile or three - around the block" just to keep the seals and such lubed, then put it back in the cave....

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X