Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Ford's DAV factory to be restored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Ford's DAV factory to be restored

Many people don't realize that among Henry's many innovations, he pioneered hiring Veterans, Disabled people, including the blind, women (in non-conventional jobs like factory work, and blacks. Most of this was considered radical, because in those days handicapped and blind people were widely considered 'useless.'
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...on/?refer=news
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

he was ahead of the times. I wonder what he would think about today`s cars ?
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

I was going to see if I could find that building on Google Maps, but then saw that the article actually had a link to it. It was neat viewing it from different angles on the street, imagining the goings-on inside so many years ago.

I hardly take the time to read books anymore, but some day I'd like to read more about Ford. However, I think I'd prefer something besides his autobiography. Something more distanced and objective. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Mike View Post
        I was going to see if I could find that building on Google Maps, but then saw that the article actually had a link to it. It was neat viewing it from different angles on the street, imagining the goings-on inside so many years ago.

I hardly take the time to read books anymore, but some day I'd like to read more about Ford. However, I think I'd prefer something besides his autobiography. Something more distanced and objective. Any recommendations?
        I've read a bunch of books about him, my favorite is 'Henry Ford: the men and the machine' by Robert Lacey. It reads really well and seems to be a honest and complete history of him, good and bad. I think it really helps you to understand what he did and why he did them.

https://www.amazon.com/FORD-Men-Mach...nd+the+machine

My second favorite was a autobiography by one of his right hand men, Charles Sorensen: 'My forty years with Ford'

https://www.amazon.com/Forty-Years-G...arles+sorensen

They can be pricey if you buy them retail, but I found my Lacey book at a Goodwill store for a buck, and I got the Sorensen book through an interlibrary loan. Old cheapskate Henry would have been proud of me.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Thank you, Steve... the name of that book definitely sounds familiar now that you mention it. I'll put it in my list, and keep an eye out for a used copy.

My father had read a lot of biographies, so I e-mailed my 85-year old mother and asked: I don't suppose you have a copy of the book "Ford: The Men and the Machine", do you?

Her response was: No, but I have "Olds: The Very Ancient and Crotchety". Would that do?

Comment

Working...
          X