Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seat covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat covers

the interior of my truck has taken a beating over the years so I am interested in seat covers as a start to making it look better. the after market is loaded with options from low price to WOW. I would like to know if anyone has done this & what brand you used ? are you satisfied ? thanks.
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

My upholstery guy usually uses OPG if not making stuff on his own. The only time I have done my own stuff is when I cut and notched my rear seat frame for the roll bar. Used a NPD kit and it looks factory, couldn't be happier.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Stang - Built Not Bought!
    2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle DD - 12 valve Monster

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Keith, off subject and not to be a wise guy about your question, but it brought back a memory.
      Does anyone remember "RAYCO" ? The seat cover outfit from back in the day, when most cars had cloth upholstery that wasn't known for its longevity.
      They covered your old seats right over the old upholstery in a couple of hours while you waited.
      I forget how much $$$, but I';m talking very, very inexpensive.
      Eddie "D"
      '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
      "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
      M&M Member #339.

Comment

Blue,, Not knowing anything about what kind of truck,, I just bought seat covers for my new 2016 Dodge ram.. I went to Realtruck.com They had a ton of choices to choose from. Now these are just covers,, Not NEW upholstery . They are a padded nylon with draw tight straps, Not just stretchy Lacey type things. They run about $ 200.00 bucks..
        Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
        Arest-me-red paint
        351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

Comment

Eddie, there is a shop in Reading named Rayco on Perkiomen Ave. I dont know if it is the same outfit & the last time I went by it looked closed.

Sodi, thanks. that is what I wanted to know as I have seen some covers that looked loose/sloppy after being installed. also was interested to know if the covers at that
          price were worth it.
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
            Keith, off subject and not to be a wise guy about your question, but it brought back a memory.
            Does anyone remember "RAYCO" ? The seat cover outfit from back in the day, when most cars had cloth upholstery that wasn't known for its longevity.
            They covered your old seats right over the old upholstery in a couple of hours while you waited.
            I forget how much $$$, but I';m talking very, very inexpensive.
            I wonder if that's like what my grandparents used to have on their cars, a thick, clear vinyl that had a diamond pattern pressed into them? They used to wear like iron.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
            My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

I wonder if that's like what my grandparents used to have on their cars, a thick, clear vinyl that had a diamond pattern pressed into them? They used to wear like iron.
              I remember those! Dad put them on his brand new 67 Custom 500 right after he got it, I think he got his from Fingerhut. He didn't take them off until about 76, by then they had gotten hard and brittle and were breaking open. I hated those things! Hot as he!! in the summer, cold as a ice cube in winter.

My thoughts on covers--make sure you get custom fit, not fits all. I bought two different sets for the two Vettes we had from two different vendors, neither fit. Both were baggy in spots, even though they were advertised to fit all Vettes.
              JC Whitney used to sell a custom fit cover that fit great and looked great, too. I had a 66 Chevelle that had a set of them put on it when it was pretty new, I thought they were the original upholstery until I noticed a split in one of the seams. Took them off and the original seats looked new. About the only thing on it that looked new.
              You might try Whitney, but I'm not sure they carry them anymore. They were true custom fit, you could even get them in two tone colors.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Some were, but the ones I remember, and sat on were harder to describe. They covered the old seat completely, and right over the original upholstery. They had a book with pages of seat covers to pick from.
                I remember an old '51 Plymouth in the family. After a Rayco visit, the 'new' upholstery was partly a solid light green material like cheap felt, and where your back was and where your butt was, the best I can describe was like a plastic, straw like weave that was multi colored light green, dark green.

They looked OK for a while, but hey, for a 1 1/2 hour install, for a price that today would get you less than 15 gallons of gasoline for your car, what the hell should we have expected ?
                Eddie "D"
                '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                X