Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Bullitt Mustang Found!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo awesome!! Hopefully whoever has the other car will bring it out next year and the two cars can somehow be shown together.
    I cant even imagine what this car is worth. Too bad it was in such poor shape as cars like this are actually usually worth more in their original shape than restored, but apparently, the car was SOOOO bad, they figured the best thing for it is to have it restored.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Marti was the only "Expert' invited.Dave Kunz who probably knows more about the car then anyone on the planet should have been there.On the restoration side,Bob Perkins.I still have my doubts about it though.Car sits in Cali for 30 years and no one finds it.Gets moved to a yard in Mexico and low and behold,It gets rescued to be turned into an Eleanor clone.Only to find out it has the vin from the crushed Bullitt car.Now I wonder if they took pictures of the partial restoration that was done in Mexico to document the work.

Dave Kunz's site
      http://www.ponysite.de/bullit.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 70stangvert View Post
        I'm still trying to wrap my head around why Marti was the only "Expert' invited.Dave Kunz who probably knows more about the car then anyone on the planet should have been there.On the restoration side,Bob Perkins.I still have my doubts about it though.Car sits in Cali for 30 years and no one finds it.Gets moved to a yard in Mexico and low and behold,It gets rescued to be turned into an Eleanor clone.Only to find out it has the vin from the crushed Bullitt car.Now I wonder if they took pictures of the partial restoration that was done in Mexico to document the work.

Dave Kunz's site

OK, I'm WRONG ..... But I still have a bunch of unanswered questions. How did these guys Garcia and Sanchez know the Bullitt VIN? Sanchez was the guy who wanted to turn it into an Eleanor, but then the article says, (quote) ... "but after the pair learned of its amazing history, their plans changed".
        Does anyone know how the "pair" learned of this particular white, wrecked car had this "amazing history" ?? Was that VIN commonly known ?
        Then the article states ... "He (MARTI) also cross-checked the dates stamped onto the carís original body panels, some of which were beyond easy repair and had been removed."
        Wouldn't all Mustangs made in that time frame have the same 'date stamps.' ?? I'm no expert on Classic Mustangs. I'm just asking if date stamps just tell the day month year these parts were made. Then there's this from the article: "The rear axle, however, is from a 1967 Mustang."
        The last quote from the article I'll copy is this:.... "Marti is certain that the VIN plate is original,"

It sounds like the only thing that might be original is the VIN plate, and I know anything can be counterfeited. Ask any Customs Agent how great the counterfeit, knock off items, including even prescription meds, look exactly like the real thing.

I'm not trying to be a 'sore loser'. I admit I was wrong. But, if that car has been bouncing around for the last 49 years. Painted at least twice, as the article states, they saw the Highland Green paint after a 'couple of layers of paint', the last one being white, were scraped off.
        Then this car must have been 'titled' and transferred at least a few times. It looks like it spent a lot of its life in California. Can't California DMV research that VIN for past transfers and ownerships ??
        And if that car obviously crossed the US/Mexico border (since it was found in Baja California), wouldn't US Customs have a record of the VIN and date of crossing.

I'm just saying, rather than having (just) Kevin Marti putting his "Stamp of Authenticity" on this "car", shouldn't a lot more investigative research (some of which I asked about here) be done, before we crack open the Champagne and toast the iconic flick BULLITT'S 50th Anniversary and unveiling the Bullitt #2 Mustang ??
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

OK, I'm WRONG ..... But I still have a bunch of unanswered questions. How did these guys Garcia and Sanchez know the Bullitt VIN? Sanchez was the guy who wanted to turn it into an Eleanor, but then the article says, (quote) ... "but after the pair learned of its amazing history, their plans changed".
          Does anyone know how the "pair" learned of this particular white, wrecked car had this "amazing history" ?? Was that VIN commonly known ?
          Then the article states ... "He (MARTI) also cross-checked the dates stamped onto the carís original body panels, some of which were beyond easy repair and had been removed."
          Wouldn't all Mustangs made in that time frame have the same 'date stamps.' ?? I'm no expert on Classic Mustangs. I'm just asking if date stamps just tell the day month year these parts were made. Then there's this from the article: "The rear axle, however, is from a 1967 Mustang."
          The last quote from the article I'll copy is this:.... "Marti is certain that the VIN plate is original,"

It sounds like the only thing that might be original is the VIN plate, and I know anything can be counterfeited. Ask any Customs Agent how great the counterfeit, knock off items, including even prescription meds, look exactly like the real thing.

I'm not trying to be a 'sore loser'. I admit I was wrong. But, if that car has been bouncing around for the last 49 years. Painted at least twice, as the article states, they saw the Highland Green paint after a 'couple of layers of paint', the last one being white, were scraped off.
          Then this car must have been 'titled' and transferred at least a few times. It looks like it spent a lot of its life in California. Can't California DMV research that VIN for past transfers and ownerships ??
          And if that car obviously crossed the US/Mexico border (since it was found in Baja California), wouldn't US Customs have a record of the VIN and date of crossing.

I'm just saying, rather than having (just) Kevin Marti putting his "Stamp of Authenticity" on this "car", shouldn't a lot more investigative research (some of which I asked about here) be done, before we crack open the Champagne and toast the iconic flick BULLITT'S 50th Anniversary and unveiling the Bullitt #2 Mustang ??
          I bolded the part that got me thinking when the announcement was made the car had been found.With all the Eleanor clones out there that are being put up for sale on what seems like a daily basis,Why take a rotting husk and spend damn near double on it to turn it into a clone? Claims of being painted twice and the hole for the generator was never patched.No to mention the claim of the generator being with the car.Then backtracked and claimed it wasn't.Then before it was unvailed,It was already titled back in Cali and was sent back to finish the restoration.I know a few guys with the border patrol and customs up here and I'm thinking about asking them how they would get the car across without paperwork.Theres too many holes in the story thats going on with this car to make me believe that it's a fake.

Comment

Originally posted by 70stangvert View Post

Dave Kunz's site

Im sure Kevin Marti probably consulted with Bob Perkins and/or Dave Kunz over the past few days/weeks. Maybe Bob and Dave were busy, maybe Kevin talked to Bob and Dave and Kevin drew the short straw. Who knows.
            Bottom line, I very much doubt Kevin Marti would jeopardize his reputation, or worse, involve himself in a some kind of "conspiracy" over a Mustang that is probably the most famous Mustang on the planet at this time.
            The car is on its way to a restoration shop in California and I'm sure there will be further investigation, possibly by Bob and Dave.....but for the time being, Kevin's word is good enough for me.
            M&M Member #91
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I agree with Sub. Kevin Marti would be crazy to authenticate the car unless he was 100% sure. He has way to much to loose.
              Steve - M&M Member #690

'68 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
              '90 Limited Edition Mustang LX 5.0 'vert (7-Up Car)

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
              Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Now somebody needs to find Jim Morrison's Shelby.......
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

It's a bit ironic that someone wanting to build a clone of the flashiest movie Mustang would save the stealthiest ACTUAL movie Mustang..
                  68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                  '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                  Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                    Im sure Kevin Marti probably consulted with Bob Perkins and/or Dave Kunz over the past few days/weeks. Maybe Bob and Dave were busy, maybe Kevin talked to Bob and Dave and Kevin drew the short straw. Who knows.
                    Bottom line, I very much doubt Kevin Marti would jeopardize his reputation, or worse, involve himself in a some kind of "conspiracy" over a Mustang that is probably the most famous Mustang on the planet at this time.
                    The car is on its way to a restoration shop in California and I'm sure there will be further investigation, possibly by Bob and Dave.....but for the time being, Kevin's word is good enough for me.
                    Craig, I don't believe for a minute that Kevin Marti is or ever would be PART OF A CONSPIRACY !!!

I believe he truly believes that the VIN plate is authentic as well as some of the other parts. And maybe they all are. If you read my entire post above, I just believe that there are many more avenues of investigation that could and should be explored.

Please go over what I wrote and tell me if you agree that there would be a 'paper trail' of titles & transfers. A record of a border crossing. An explanation of HOW and WHO 'learned' of the VIN being Bullitt #2 Mustang.
                    And my question about....... whether date stamps on body parts would be similar to other Mustang's parts manufactured on the same day, or would certain date stamps be EXCLUSIVE to the missing Bullitt Mustang ?

I repeat ...................... I have no doubt about Kevin Marti's honesty and professionalism. I truly believe, that he believes, these two guys have the Bullitt Mustang.
                    I just believe more investigation is needed.

And I really wish you and other members would comment on the different avenues of investigation that I feel should be done. And tell me where I'm wrong, or possibly some of you would agree.
                    Eddie "D"
                    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                    M&M Member #339.

Comment

I would like to see a little more evidence, too. Every time I see someone quote Marti as 100% proof I think of the Marti report I have on my Sprint that has an error, saying it had the performance suspension when it has the 'export suspension' which is totally a different option. I don't mean to disparage his reputation at all, I'm just saying nothing is absolute. He was brought in because he's the 'VIN' guy, now let the guys like Perkins who can really spot fakes take a look at it. I would think it would require some sort of stripping to see if the VINs were welded in or added, which is a common practice among counterfeiters. I bet our old friend and long lost member Wolfgang Korn would like a peek at it, too.
                      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                      My Mach's restoration progress
                      My Sprint's restoration progress
                      I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                      Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                        I would like to see a little more evidence, too. Every time I see someone quote Marti as 100% proof I think of the Marti report I have on my Sprint that has an error, saying it had the performance suspension when it has the 'export suspension' which is totally a different option. I don't mean to disparage his reputation at all, I'm just saying nothing is absolute. He was brought in because he's the 'VIN' guy, now let the guys like Perkins who can really spot fakes take a look at it. I would think it would require some sort of stripping to see if the VINs were welded in or added, which is a common practice among counterfeiters. I bet our old friend and long lost member Wolfgang Korn would like a peek at it, too.
                        This is what I was trying to say. It's not like everybody in the resto business died and Marti was the only one left.It's not a knock against Marti,But a guy like Perkins could probably spot any errors in his sleep.Not to mention the guy from the Bullitt site who seems to have the most info on the cars than anyone.A good welder could cut and weld in those apron vins and then with all these faux pantina mimic years of rust or just getting the stamps off a place like McMaster Carr and replacing the apron all together ,It could be done.How many lay people could tell if those were real Ford stamps when looking at them.No to many I would guess.And the more I read about this,The more I start thinking it's a rebody.This is where Perkins would really shine.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

Craig, I don't believe for a minute that Kevin Marti is or ever would be PART OF A CONSPIRACY !!!

I believe he truly believes that the VIN plate is authentic as well as some of the other parts. And maybe they all are. If you read my entire post above, I just believe that there are many more avenues of investigation that could and should be explored.

Please go over what I wrote and tell me if you agree that there would be a 'paper trail' of titles & transfers. A record of a border crossing. An explanation of HOW and WHO 'learned' of the VIN being Bullitt #2 Mustang.
                          And my question about....... whether date stamps on body parts would be similar to other Mustang's parts manufactured on the same day, or would certain date stamps be EXCLUSIVE to the missing Bullitt Mustang ?

I repeat ...................... I have no doubt about Kevin Marti's honesty and professionalism. I truly believe, that he believes, these two guys have the Bullitt Mustang.
                          I just believe more investigation is needed.

And I really wish you and other members would comment on the different avenues of investigation that I feel should be done. And tell me where I'm wrong, or possibly some of you would agree.
                          Eddie, I agree with you 100%, and sorry if I came across a little crass with my last post. I absolutely agree with you that there should be more evidence....and I stated so in my post when the car ultimately goes to get restored.
                          I believe what has been reported, published, posted so far, that regular Mustang folks like you and me just aren't privy to everything that has happened...."behind the scenes".

At this point, we have really been relying on Fox News stories and second, third hand info thru other websites regarding the continuing unraveling of this story.

I did state in my last post that when this car does end up getting restored, hopefully more investigation will be done....resulting in more found documentation. Like you stated, if they can find shipping records, DMV records, etc, the more they find, the bigger the number becomes.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter what you and I and the rest of the "little guys" think. If it's THE car, and those with the fat check books believe it's THE car, then the market will ultimately prove it.
                          M&M Member #91

Comment

I'm still very skeptical of the whole thing. I know Marti is an expert, but even experts can be fooled, and their whole story stinks to high heaven to me.
                            Rob Hetzler
                            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Fellas,
                              I bet we can all agree that when there is the amount of potential $$$ at stake, anything can faked..... just look at what the art world has had to deal with for decades.... So, my 2 cents worth of opinion agrees.... we need more confirmation than what we think we know today.

Now on a different train of thought: Where is the black Charger that was being chased by that green 'Stang????
                              Wouldn't that be a sweet display to see the both of those cars side by each in a collection somewhere..... ??!!

Ryan
                              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                                Fellas,
                                I bet we can all agree that when there is the amount of potential $$$ at stake, anything can faked..... just look at what the art world has had to deal with for decades.... So, my 2 cents worth of opinion agrees.... we need more confirmation than what we think we know today.

Now on a different train of thought: Where is the black Charger that was being chased by that green 'Stang????
                                Wouldn't that be a sweet display to see the both of those cars side by each in a collection somewhere..... ??!!

Ryan
                                Bullitt Charger

http://www.ponysite.de/charger_welch.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X