Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Bullitt Mustang Found!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
    sorry if I came across a little crass with my last post. I absolutely agree with you that there should be more evidence.....
    Craig no apology needed. I just didn't want you. or anyone else thinking I was a 'Conspiracy nut' and thought Marti was involved in a world wide conspiracy.

I want to thank You, Steve, 70stangvert, Rob & Ryan for all the input. Let's face it, we'll know the answer (maybe) someday, after and IF more investigation is done.
    Like Ryan stated. So much potential money is involved there has to be some concern and suspicion. How do you put a price tag on a legend. Especially one that was supposed to have been CRUSHED 49 years ago.
    This value would be the same as if the deceased "Beatles", John Lennon and George Harrison came back from the dead, and joined Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, for a ONE TIME ONLY Beatles reunion concert, in a venue that held ONLY 1,000 people.

Could you imagine the price of a ticket to an event ,like that ?? ... .. Probably comparative would be the potential value of this car....
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70stangvert View Post
      Thanks to Kev's link to the Bullitt Charger site done by our old member Wolfganng Kohrn, (sorry for my previous spelling of your name, Wolfgang) it brought up his excellent Mustang page which after some poking around I found his page concerning the news on the allegedly found Bullitt second car. I tried to directly link to that page so we could all see but the link in the location box only points to his index page, http://www.ponysite.de/index.htm so to see what he has on it, just click onto that link, then click onto the link 'Breaking News' at the top, then click onto 'Latest Bullitt News'

Wolfgang once again doesn't disappoint, he has a great page about it already.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Steve, I read everything on the web sight you linked. Is it me, or is it written in a kind of confusing manner. I'm not talking about the veracity of the 'find', I'm talking about the paragraph about the "Dark Highland Green" color on '68 Mustangs.
        Then did I read right that two 'PASTORS' from a church are making a Steve McQueen documentary ?
        Then I looked at the websight's photos. The one photo that stood out to me was the picture of the car as it sat in the junk yard where it was found.
        After looking at that photo, I realized my doubts about the car were probably wrong.
        Of course, to me at least, the Bullitt #2 car will be: new body panels, new upholstery and a new motor, all wrapped around an old & original VIN plate.
        Eddie "D"
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
          Steve, I read everything on the web sight you linked. Is it me, or is it written in a kind of confusing manner. I'm not talking about the veracity of the 'find', I'm talking about the paragraph about the "Dark Highland Green" color on '68 Mustangs.
          Then did I read right that two 'PASTORS' from a church are making a Steve McQueen documentary ?
          Then I looked at the websight's photos. The one photo that stood out to me was the picture of the car as it sat in the junk yard where it was found.
          After looking at that photo, I realized my doubts about the car were probably wrong.
          Of course, to me at least, the Bullitt #2 car will be: new body panels, new upholstery and a new motor, all wrapped around an old & original VIN plate.
          I don't know, this is all new to me too. I guess pastors need hobbies, too.
          "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
            Eddie, that
            brings up another good topic of discussion......how much is TOO much. What makes a car re-STORED vs re-BODIED?
            I used to watch a show regularly called Graveyard Carz....it's a show about a restoration shop up in the Northwest (Oregon I think) that restores ONLY Mopar vehicles....a really cool show!!

In the early episodes of the show, they regularly debated this question and the owner would say as long as there are major parts of the vehicle left (fender aprons, firewall/trans tunnel/roof/parts with VIN stamps/or any multiple combinations of those parts), that he can still use and weld to in the restoration, then he considers it a restoration.
            When the car is so far gone that all you have left to work with is a VIN tag/title, and you end up using a Dynacorn body, there's some moral issues there in calling a car a "restoration" vs a "rebody".

This would be my NEXT big question regarding this find. When all is said and done....how much of the actual car was left to work with, and was the car re-STORED using a lot of the ORIGINAL sheet metal, or did they have to go the other route. Hopefully there were plenty of pictures taken along the way because what we've seen so far was long after the original find point.

In my personal opinion, the OTHER route will negatively affect the end value of this vehicle. Of course, what it is is what it is. Better to have something.....than nothing.
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Yeah, it comes down to "Are you adding parts to a car, or the VIN plate to another car?"

Comment

That's the down side to all the replacement sheet metal available today. In the old days, bent metal was beat back straight with only rusty panels replaced. It took a true craftsman to pull bent sheet metal back into submission and make it fit again, now, it's just simpler and faster to cut it off and weld a reproduction part in it's place. Both methods produce the same results, but the old way you still had mostly original panels, so in theory, more of the original car. There are still some craftsmen who won't use reproduction parts, only used originals, but they are few and far between. It is a good question, how much of the original is left? I bet some states probably have rules on the books on rebuilding that have to be followed for one to be considered original vs re-bodied.
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                  Eddie, that
                  brings up another good topic of discussion......how much is TOO much. What makes a car re-STORED vs re-BODIED?
                  Yes it does Craig. To me, restoring that car with a new 390, (MOSTLY) new sheet metal, new interior, is, like I said earlier, a new and DIFFERENT car, wrapped around an old VIN tag....
                  I'm sure everyone will disagree with me and think I'm crazy, but this is how I feel about this whole situation:

I would take the car as it was found. Carefully remove the white & red paint and bring what's left of the body back to the original "Dark Highland Green" and leave everything as it was found.
                  This way you have THE CAR that Steve McQueen actually drove in the movie. The sheet metal on the passenger side that he banged the bad guy's Dodge Charger with. The actual seat & vinyl that McQueen's ass sat on.
                  Then donate or, better yet, sell that original (but messed up shell) to a museum or a private owner who you would have sign an agreement to have the car available for the public to view.

Then, get that VIN tag, purchase a nice 1968 Fastback, apply for a 'reconstructed title' and build a nice Dark Highland Green, 390 cu in GT with a 4 speed top loader tranny around the VIN tag.
                  So this way, you still found the elusive Bullitt #2. Still made a nice piece of change from it. And now drive a 'perfect' replica of that car, with bragging rights that it wears McQueens actual VIN, and yeah !!! "I found the (believed destroyed) Bullitt #2 Mustang ... and oh by the way....... I'm now, also, pretty damn rich"
                  Eddie "D"
                  M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                  X