Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tv experts in here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tv experts in here?

My beloved ten year old Sony Bravia 42" LCD tv has started doing things that make me think the end is approaching. Lately it's starting having trouble pulling in some digital channels, pixelating and freezing momentarily. Sometimes moving the cable helps, but not completely. This Saturday it stopped receiving them at all, just giving us the blue/green screen with a message saying 'Signal not found.' We thought our cable company had dropped or moved them, which they have an annoying habit of doing, but the 32" inch Sony Bravia LCD pulls them in like nothing has changed.

Do you suppose the tuner on my 42" is going? Is my tv becoming obsolete? I suppose the smart thing would be to move it into the living room and trying the connection there, but it will be a PITA to move it.

By the way, we tried making it search for digital channels twice with no different results.

I should mention that this only affects four or five digital channels, it plays all other channels perfectly crystal clear.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

By the way, the next thing I'm thinking of trying is recutting the cable end and changing the terminal end, but I don't think that will do anything, why would the other channels come in perfectly if the cable end is weak?
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Sounds like part of the tuner is dying. I guess you could always use it for a computer monitor.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I told my wife if it's the tuner I'll just mount the tv in the garage, I don't mind watching stations in low res.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
          My beloved ten year old Sony Bravia 42" LCD tv has started doing things that make me think the end is approaching. Lately it's starting having trouble pulling in some digital channels, pixelating and freezing momentarily. Sometimes moving the cable helps, but not completely. This Saturday it stopped receiving them at all, just giving us the blue/green screen with a message saying 'Signal not found.' We thought our cable company had dropped or moved them, which they have an annoying habit of doing, but the 32" inch Sony Bravia LCD pulls them in like nothing has changed.

Do you suppose the tuner on my 42" is going? Is my tv becoming obsolete? I suppose the smart thing would be to move it into the living room and trying the connection there, but it will be a PITA to move it.

By the way, we tried making it search for digital channels twice with no different results.

I should mention that this only affects four or five digital channels, it plays all other channels perfectly crystal clear.
          Steve, do you have a 'Cable Box' that has the cable coming into it... then the cable out coaxial cable from the box into the TV ?? Or just a coaxial cable directly into the TV ?
          If you have a "cable box", I would say you have a bad box...
          Eddie "D"
          '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
          "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
          M&M Member #339.

Comment

No, it's just a cable, no box.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
              No, it's just a cable, no box.
              OK ........... but I think a call to your Cable company just MIGHT save you the money for a new TV. It could be their problem. I have Verizon's FIOS (with a box) and there are times a few channels will be BLANK.
              I think it is a satellite problem that feeds certain channels to the Cable Company's main feed.
              Their 'Tech' people should tell you if it is your tuner or a cable problem.
              Might be worth a "shot" ...
              Eddie "D"
              '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
              "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
              M&M Member #339.

Comment

You're right, I may have to check with the cable company.

Another wrinkle: on the afflicted tv, we noticed one of the channels we can't get and like, AntennaTV, can now be found on one of the higher numbered channels, something like channel 123.023 or something like that, instead of it's former 6.3 which is now showing just that blue/green screen and signal not found message, AND on the higher number channel it has the same pixelating and momentary freezing it did on 6.3, while it still plays perfectly on the newer tv in the living room.

I think my tv is just being obsoleted just like my old imac and ipad has. Cheap old me will just live with it, I've given those guys too much money already, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

OK ........... but I think a call to your Cable company just MIGHT save you the money for a new TV. It could be their problem. I have Verizon's FIOS (with a box) and there are times a few channels will be BLANK.
                  I think it is a satellite problem that feeds certain channels to the Cable Company's main feed.
                  Their 'Tech' people should tell you if it is your tuner or a cable problem.
                  Might be worth a "shot" ...
                  X2 with Eddie, the cable company will come out and diagnose. I've had them out before and they identified it was a problem on their end of the signal from the street coming into the house.
                  Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X