Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about a car ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about a car ....

I'm looking on 'Cars on line' at this 2012 Mustang GT.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4480/overview/

Now I know the rear window vents are not stock. And I've seen this hood scoop on a few 2011/2012's and I'm guessing it's a bolt on or a 3-M tape on over a stock hood.
    Is that rear spoiler stock ? It looks a little more radical than the ones I've seen. And look at the pictures and get a load of the graphics on the intake etc etc. Not my taste.

I was wondering if the hood scoop, rear window vents, spoiler (if not stock) are add-ons available from Ford ? Or is all this stuff after market from places like Cervini's or Steeda etc ?
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

I'm thinking it's all aftermarket stuff. A little too much IMHO, spoiler is too tall, don't care for the window scoops or the scoop behind the door. Hood scoop is a bit large, but fits in pretty good. I can't tell much about the intake, is that a flame decal?

You looking at getting rid of the Lincoln and buying a Mustang?
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

The hood scoop looks like a Ford OEM from a 2010 - 2012 Mustang. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-201...3D322321970225
      Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
        I'm looking on 'Cars on line' at this 2012 Mustang GT.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4480/overview/

I was wondering if the hood scoop, rear window vents, spoiler (if not stock) are add-ons available from Ford ? Or is all this stuff after market from places like Cervini's or Steeda etc ?
        Eddie, that is a FACTORY "California Special" rear spoiler. The only difference between that one and a GT/CS rear spoiler is the GT/CS rear spoilers are painted black underneath.

2011-2014 Mustang California Special was an appearance package with different wheels, stripes, front chin spoiler, grill, rear diffuser, some interior differences, and of course, the oh so cool rear spoiler!!

The rest of the add on's, as you guessed, are aftermarket, (possibly Roush pieces), although I believe can be bought (and installed) thru the selling Ford dealer. I've seen several if these types of modded Mustangs roll thru our dealership.

If I was in the market for a Mustang GT, mine would be a white 2011-2014 "California Special" CONVERTIBLE, with the 5.0 "COYOTE" engine and 6 speed manual transmission.....of course!!

GT/CS spoiler video.....https://youtu.be/oiLRqGvUcU8

.....and the one I'd take.... https://youtu.be/chM_wIhsNH8
        Last edited by submariner mustanger; 03-11-2017, 02:55 AM. Reason: added a couple of cool videos
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Thanks Bobby, Mike & Craig for the full information on my question...

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

You looking at getting rid of the Lincoln and buying a Mustang?
          No Bobby. Actually thinking of selling the '66 coupe and (it will break my heart) even my beloved '70 Sportroof. I like the style of the 2011's to '14's. I really want to drive that 400 +HP Coyote engine. I really prefer that '11 style over this new Mustang, which to me, looks too much like a lot of other 2 dr sport coupes.
          I like that small rear window, but it HAS to be covered by louvres.
          And no Bobby. I'll keep my Navigator as long as gas stays under $3.00. But if and when it will get into the $3's and even the $4's, that 5.4 motor, pulling that three ton car, gassing that pig will put me in the poor house.

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
          Eddie, that is a FACTORY "California Special" rear spoiler. The only difference between that one and a GT/CS rear spoiler is the GT/CS rear spoilers are painted black underneath.

2011-2014 Mustang California Special was an appearance package with different wheels, stripes, front chin spoiler, grill, rear diffuser, some interior differences, and of course, the oh so cool rear spoiler!!

The rest of the add on's, as you guessed, are aftermarket, (possibly Roush pieces), although I believe can be bought (and installed) thru the selling Ford dealer. I've seen several if these types of modded Mustangs roll thru our dealership.

If I was in the market for a Mustang GT, mine would be a white 2011-2014 "California Special" CONVERTIBLE, with the 5.0 "COYOTE" engine and 6 speed manual transmission.....of course!!

GT/CS spoiler video.....https://youtu.be/oiLRqGvUcU8

.....and the one I'd take.... https://youtu.be/chM_wIhsNH8
          I KNEW you were the guy to ask Craig .............. I LOVE big hood scoops and big rear spoilers. When I had my '02 Torch Red GT, I was actually thinking of putting the Cobra "R" spoiler on it. Remember that one ?? It must have stood 6 feet off the ground !!
          Like I told Bobby. I want that Coyote. I'd want rear window louvres (like McQueens Bullitt 'Stang, which I have to respond to that thread). But anyone who knows me, knows the car would have to be RED, and as much as I'd love a stick (*my '02 had the manual 5 speed), my legs won't move enough for three pedal driving anymore.

You know there was a time I had planned on leaving the '70 to my grandson, and the '66 to my "L'il Squirt" granddaughter. Then my brain began to work and I realize as much as we love our 'old' cars, they are NOT for today's youth. Most of us learned to drive in the old cars. Cars with NO safety features, no electronics, no power anything. One has to REALLY DRIVE those classics. Today's cars are almost "start, point & forget".
          I learned to drive in my brother's 1953 Ford. I took my test in that car also. A cool car that only started up when it felt like it and only stopped when it felt like it.
          The last thing most 16 17 year old boys of today need is a 350 +HP car that will fold like an accordion if involved in a major crash.

So if I get the right money for my two "old" 'Stangs, maybe I can pull off an '11 Stang for the G-Son, and ME drive the hell out of it for 2 years, until he turns 17, and squeeze out a very safe, smaller, slower, 4 cylinder "girl's car" for my G- Daughter if I'm still alive 9 years from now when she turns 17...
          Eddie "D"
          "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
          M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
            Thanks Bobby, Mike & Craig for the full information on my question...

No Bobby. Actually thinking of selling the '66 coupe and (it will break my heart) even my beloved '70 Sportroof. I like the style of the 2011's to '14's. I really want to drive that 400 +HP Coyote engine. I really prefer that '11 style over this new Mustang, which to me, looks too much like a lot of other 2 dr sport coupes.
            I like that small rear window, but it HAS to be covered by louvres.
            And no Bobby. I'll keep my Navigator as long as gas stays under $3.00. But if and when it will get into the $3's and even the $4's, that 5.4 motor, pulling that three ton car, gassing that pig will put me in the poor house.

I KNEW you were the guy to ask Craig .............. I LOVE big hood scoops and big rear spoilers. When I had my '02 Torch Red GT, I was actually thinking of putting the Cobra "R" spoiler on it. Remember that one ?? It must have stood 6 feet off the ground !!
            Like I told Bobby. I want that Coyote. I'd want rear window louvres (like McQueens Bullitt 'Stang, which I have to respond to that thread). But anyone who knows me, knows the car would have to be RED, and as much as I'd love a stick (*my '02 had the manual 5 speed), my legs won't move enough for three pedal driving anymore.

You know there was a time I had planned on leaving the '70 to my grandson, and the '66 to my "L'il Squirt" granddaughter. Then my brain began to work and I realize as much as we love our 'old' cars, they are NOT for today's youth. Most of us learned to drive in the old cars. Cars with NO safety features, no electronics, no power anything. One has to REALLY DRIVE those classics. Today's cars are almost "start, point & forget".
            I learned to drive in my brother's 1953 Ford. I took my test in that car also. A cool car that only started up when it felt like it and only stopped when it felt like it.
            The last thing most 16 17 year old boys of today need is a 350 +HP car that will fold like an accordion if involved in a major crash.

So if I get the right money for my two "old" 'Stangs, maybe I can pull off an '11 Stang for the G-Son, and ME drive the hell out of it for 2 years, until he turns 17, and squeeze out a very safe, smaller, slower, 4 cylinder "girl's car" for my G- Daughter if I'm still alive 9 years from now when she turns 17...
            Yes, I definitely remember theose Cobra R rear spoilers, I was just getting into the biz when those cars came out!

You're so right about these cars today vs. the old ones. They are so advanced.....even over the later SN95 Mustangs (I have a 2003 and these cars drive SOOOO much better/easier than my car!).
            Sounds like you've got a couple of fortunate grandkids.....just remember, that '11-'14 GT packs over 400 HP.....STOCK!! I'll bet he'd be just as appreciative with the 6 banger as even those platforms put out more HP than those "boring old SN 95 stangs" of yesteryear! Lol!! The 6 cylinder may not seem like it would satisfy your personal pallet right now, but if you haven't driven one, I bet you might be surprised!
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Just some words of advise, take them for what they are worth.....
              I wouldn't give a 17 year old a newer car like that. I'd start them off with a SN95 with a V6 or 4 cylinder. Insurance will be WAY lower, and when they wreck it, and figures show that young drivers have the best chances of being in a wreck, you won't be out as much.. I know, there are exceptions to every rule, but you'd be better off with a destroyed older car than a newer one. A SN95 is probably as safe as the newer one, it may not have all the bells and whistles, but it will still be a fun, good looking car to drive. The newest I'd go would be an 05-06, they are the newer body style and are over 10 years old now so they would be more affordable as well. I'm speaking from experience here, both my boys wrecked their first vehicles, but they were both over 10 yr old vehicles.
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                Just some words of advise, take them for what they are worth.....
                I wouldn't give a 17 year old a newer car like that. I'd start them off with a SN95 with a V6 or 4 cylinder. Insurance will be WAY lower, and when they wreck it, and figures show that young drivers have the best chances of being in a wreck, you won't be out as much.. I know, there are exceptions to every rule, but you'd be better off with a destroyed older car than a newer one. A SN95 is probably as safe as the newer one, it may not have all the bells and whistles, but it will still be a fun, good looking car to drive. The newest I'd go would be an 05-06, they are the newer body style and are over 10 years old now so they would be more affordable as well. I'm speaking from experience here, both my boys wrecked their first vehicles, but they were both over 10 yr old vehicles.
                I know that you are right Bobby. Everything you say makes sense. I guess ...ahhh I KNOW .... I just want to get behind that Coyote, and see how fast he can 'run.'
                I've got a few years to figure this out, or better yet, hit the PA Lottery !
                Eddie "D"
                M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                X