Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I must be a polar bear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must be a polar bear

We're supposed to get in the seventies today, and our weatherman said if we do it will be the first time the mercury hits 70 IN OVER SIX MONTHS. The last time was in early last October. That's over half a year under 70, which means I have to be out of my mind for still living here.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
    We're supposed to get in the seventies today, and our weatherman said if we do it will be the first time the mercury hits 70 IN OVER SIX MONTHS. The last time was in early last October. That's over half a year under 70, which means I have to be out of my mind for still living here.
    Well Steve, it is a beautiful state (from what I hear as I've never been there), but with that beauty comes the Arctic Air. We had a mild Winter here in S.E. Pa. It actually hit 70 in February, as it was the warmest February on record.
    Supposed to be 83 or 84 today here ..... way above normal but I love it.

Maybe the global temperature is rising. But I believe it is all cyclical and nature related. If it is caused by mankind, I'd guess it is because this Earth is way, way over populated. Too many people breathing in oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide. And not the fault of emissions free motors on all of our hot rods ...
    It just may be time to "cull the herd."
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Let's commiserate Steve, I feel like a wet morlock up here. However I have a trip booked for Florida in few weeks to see our Eloi relatives. The following is a pretty good synopsis of what it's been like here, taken from Seattle PI:

Of the 178 days that had passed since the water year began (October), Seattle had 123 with rain or snow, 149 with more than 70 percent cloud cover, and just nine -- that's nine, as in two more than a week -- with less than 30 percent cloud cover. And in all those rainy (and snowy) days, a LOT of water fell across the region.
      Seattle set a new record for October with 10.05 inches -- more than an inch above the previous record, set in 2003. November and December mellowed out for precipitation in the city, but then things stepped up again in January with a healthy (though not near the record) 7.45 inches. And then February began.Seattle saw 8.85 inches of precipitation fall in 2017's second month, just a hair behind the 1961 record of 9.11 inches.
      To date this month, Seattle has seen 6.66 inches of rain fall, about 3.38 inches more than normal and enough to make it the sixth-wettest March on record.
      Combined, February and March have had the most precipitation ever recorded -- 15.56 inches, just above the 2014 record of 15.55, according to the NWS. That's only the second time in 120 or more years that those two months have seen more than 15 inches of precipitation.
      So, yeah, it really has been a lot darker, rainier and gloomier than normal around here. It's not just you.

Ron

Comment

That sucks Ron, that's gotta be tough keeping the spirits up. Weather like that puts me in a real funk. I told my wife that nice weather like we've been having makes it feel like we're getting our world back.
        "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

I would love to move, however I can't just up and leave this job with it's pay and benefits, I guess that's a good problem to have? everything that is wood and is exposed to the elements does not last long here, I'm tired of putting up or repairing fences, they don't use the chemicals they used to so posts rot out in about 7 years, I'm becoming a believer in just sinking them in the ground without concrete, that way you don't need to dig up the concrete footing when the thing needs replacement.

If it's not raining here then it's overcast, it depresses a lot of people. I had the opportunity to move to SC and take my pay and benefits with me but after speaking with some people who lived there I decided it wasn't for me (humidity, bugs, etc.). I've got under 3 years until eligible for retirement, so I need to at least wait that out.
          Ron

Comment

Yeah, same here. We have roots down I guess. We don't want to move away from the family.

Comment

I think you need to move to South Carolina and enjoy the year round driving weather with us.
              Mark C ~
              M&M member #332
              1965 coupe - owned since '79
              1970 Mach 1 T-5 (export Mustang) - owned since '86
              http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpages/70MachT5.html
              "My '65 coupe is going back together"
              /___ ___ ___ \
              (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
              \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
              |___| ...... |___|

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
                I would love to move, however I can't just up and leave this job with it's pay and benefits, I guess that's a good problem to have? everything that is wood and is exposed to the elements does not last long here, I'm tired of putting up or repairing fences, they don't use the chemicals they used to so posts rot out in about 7 years, I'm becoming a believer in just sinking them in the ground without concrete, that way you don't need to dig up the concrete footing when the thing needs replacement.

If it's not raining here then it's overcast, it depresses a lot of people. I had the opportunity to move to SC and take my pay and benefits with me but after speaking with some people who lived there I decided it wasn't for me (humidity, bugs, etc.). I've got under 3 years until eligible for retirement, so I need to at least wait that out.
                Seriously, Ron the humidity is tolerable at least in Upstate South Carolina where we live. And I don't know who told you the bugs were bad but they must live in the boonies. The people here are some the of the most friendly Ive ever encountered. My only complaint is the morons that have gotten a DUI and now menace the roads with their stupid little mopeds. I almost killed a guy on one last weekend. oh !! . . . and a lot of people don't accelerate away from a stop light/sign, they take their foot off the brake and let the car idle up to the posted limit. Its maddening sometimes. Other than that, we love it here.
                Mark C ~
                M&M member #332
                /___ ___ ___ \
                (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
                \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
                |___| ...... |___|

Comment

I couldn't take all that rain or cold weather. I'd go nuts. It's the South for me, TX to SC, no farther north than middle TN. We have all four seasons, sometimes in one day!
                  ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                  -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                  -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
                  " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by 70MachT-5 View Post

Seriously, Ron the humidity is tolerable at least in Upstate South Carolina where we live. And I don't know who told you the bugs were bad but they must live in the boonies. The people here are some the of the most friendly Ive ever encountered. My only complaint is the morons that have gotten a DUI and now menace the roads with their stupid little mopeds. I almost killed a guy on one last weekend. oh !! . . . and a lot of people don't accelerate away from a stop light/sign, they take their foot off the brake and let the car idle up to the posted limit. Its maddening sometimes. Other than that, we love it here.
                    One of my coworkers grew up there, she said the mosquitoes are bad and they're large
                    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post

One of my coworkers grew up there, she said the mosquitoes are bad and they're large
                      Not sure where where your coworker grew up . . . probably near the coast. I rarely see mosquitos and they are small. As you may know I grew up in Alaska and the mosquitos are big, bad and persistent. On a particular fishing trip I was catching two pound Grayling on every cast but I had to stop after about twenty minutes because the mosquitos were so think. The chewed me to pieces.
                      Mark C ~
                      M&M member #332
                      /___ ___ ___ \
                      (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
                      \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
                      |___| ...... |___|

Comment

Northeast Ohio weather sucks too. I think we have about 3 months of good weather in the summer.....sometimes.
                        Mike Gasdick 69 Cougar XR-7 , 14:1 358W Canfield heads, CalTrac's / split mono's, "Mighty Mite" C4 w/trans-brake. 11.39..so far.
                        1996 F-150 two wheel drive. 5.0 w/ E4OD.
                        2002 F250 Superduty 4x4 with a spark plug spittin', manifold crackin' , fuse box burnin , 5.4 !

Comment

Working...
                        X