Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waiting on a hook...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting on a hook...

Ten miles from my delivery point and broke down. Pulled A hill, went to upshift, engine just went dead. Couldn't get it back in a gear, non scyro trans, coasted to a stop. Starter wont turn it over, tried to roll it off in gear, rears just skid and jump. Push clutch in and it Will roll, and it would roll out of gear too. Thinking something in motor let go, dropped a valve, spun bearing, I don't know. Taking it to Cummins. Hope the warranty covers it.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

that bites ! hope it is under warranty................
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks, Bobby. Hope it's not too serious.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

No news yet. In da bay now. May know later today. Talking to tech and he's thinking crank or stacked bearings. I hate waiting in a customer lounge, I'd rather be out in the shop watching. Damn insurance companies.
        Torture goes on....

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

The verdict is in, stick a fork in it, it's done.
          Turned a main bearing, welded a rod bearing to the crank. Going to have to have at the least a short block, at worst a reman engine, just depends on what the warranty will pay for. I will still be out of pocket for some of it, the deductible and some of the shop expense. Now I have to wait on them to OK it before the shop can start work. Wife's cousin is coming to get me in the morning, right now I'm holed up in a roach motel for the night, both guns handy.

Comment

That sucks, sorry Bobby.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
            My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems, Insurance may help, but it won't do a thing for your lost income. Tough situation!

Comment

Sorry to hear, that really sux! Good Luck with the repairs and hopefully the warranty will cover a major part of it.
                79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                69 Stang Vert
                69 Stang Coupe
                92 Stang 5.0 LX
                other DD's

Comment

Hate to hear, how many miles on it? Had it ever been rebuilt before that you know of?
                  Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                  71 F-250 4x2
                  88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Damn Bobby.... nothing much to say. Why do bad things happen to good people ? I imagine without your truck, no income rolling in, on top of the Non-Warrantied cost ??
                    That's gotta hurt. Hang in there my friend, just try to hang tough ...
                    Eddie "D"
                    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Insult to injury.....the warranty is only $20000 TOTAL coverage. Since I used it last year on the oil pump replacement, I only have $17000 coverage left. The shop foreman said he could eat a little of it, but I would still be out of pocket for around $21000.........$21000 that I don't have and don't see any way to get. I'm going to talk to the finance company and see what they want to do, refinance the truck, take the truck, sell it for what they can get out of it and finance me another one, or them just do nothing and me let them repossess it. They have been pretty good so far, this is the second truck I've had through them, but I don't know what they will say this time. This POS has broke me. I've only had it a year, but I bet it's been in the shop for two months of that year. You never know when you buy used, and I got burnt. It only has 896,000 miles on it, usually a truck will go over a million before it has to be rebuilt. My 02 IH had 1.3 million on it when it laid down, and I had driven it 5 years. I'm mad, hurt, disgusted, broke and bills to pay. Just put $600 worth of brakes on last week that I still owe for. I have maxed out both of my credit cards buying parts for this POS. Weighing my options, can't make a decision until I talk to finance company, which may be Monday since tomorrow is Good Friday and lots of things will be closed.
                      The soap opera continues......

Comment

Sorry man, keep us posted. $38,000 for a short block???
                        Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                        71 F-250 4x2
                        88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Yeah Marc, $38g for a Cummins ISX short block, plus the shop time to install. Initial figure was $41g. I didn't give but $38.5 for the truck in Dec 2015! I think it's way too much, but what can you do? This pos has literally broke me, the Freightliner before about broke me, but this one has been even worse than the Freightliner was. Run it 4-6 weeks, put it in the shop, lose revenue and pay shop bill, run 4-6 weeks, repeat the process. I had just started looking around at ads, I was planning on making a move to get rid of it this summer. Was trying to pay off enough to have some trade equity in it. Now, I've got to wait on the warranty folks to see how much they will cover for sure, and see what the finance company will do about the rest. If they put the money in it, I will just keep it since it will be an almost new engine and should last.......but even then, I will probably have my doubts about it. I like the truck, it's all this UN-dependability that makes for the sour taste in my mouth and belly......

Comment

I've been thinking about this today while driving, and I guess I'm out of touch, but it seems to me you should be able to find a used complete engine with less than 500,000 miles on it for.....no more than 8 or 9. And another 25 to 35 for some independent shop to put it in for you. For that kind of dough, you should be able to go where it is and see it run before you commit. Trucks are always being parted out, because of wrecks and several other reasons. The whole job for under 12 grand, what am I missing?

I don't know what was going on with the Cummins engines in that (the 09) time period, but it couldn't have been much more complicated than it was between the late 70's and early 90's for the big-cam Cummins. There were at least 5 variations of it thru that time period, my truck came with the "NT88", as far as I know it was a one year engine. 315 HP. Push rods, heads, jakes, none of that from an 88 would interchange with the others. But they would all still pretty much basically bolt up in any truck from that era. Would some research show you what other years (and even truck brands) with Cummins engines would bolt up in yours? I ended up putting an 87 in mine, it was a more common 350 hp. When my NT88 gave out back in 04, I went and talked to an independent mechanic that I knew, and he found this 87 for me, it was about 40 miles away in another shop, and I went there and heard it run, it was in a Freightliner tractor, looked fine, I don't know why they were parting it out, but I didn't ask questions. $4000, I didn't have it, but I had a credit card! He pulled it, and my guy put it in, and they MOVED! All done in one week! About $6500 total. But this is antique stuff, maybe things have changed with engines more than I know.

Last fall, another guy that I work with told me his mid-90's KW blew. A 3406 Cat, and he said the rebuild would have been $20,000. He found a used one, said he heard it run, $7000. He got a shop started on the switch sometime in December, and might have made the mistake of telling them there was no hurry, since our work slows way down in the winter. As of about 3 weeks ago, it still wasn't done, and he was crying. He runs 2 trucks, so he isn't completely out of business, but work is picking up fast now.

I guess a big part of your decision has to be about the age limitation your dispatcher has, for trucks. Yours is now about 8 years old, is your limitation 10 years or 15? If it's only 10 it might not be worth trying to fix, but if it's 15 then you have a lot of time left.

You'll get through this, take your time and don't panic. Research some complete used engines! I had good luck with mine!
                            Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
                            71 F-250 4x2
                            88 F-150 4X2

Comment

I found a engine 35 miles from me for $10,000, a pull out of a wreck, can hear it run, they will warranty it. But these electronic engines are strange, some interchange, some don't, depending on the emissions equipment. But that might as well be 2 million to me right now, I doubt the warranty folks would pay for a used engine, don't know about the finance company, doubt they would either. Plus I'd have to get it moved again, I know Cummins wouldn't do it. Maybe Monday I can start to see where this is leading. May just end up filing bankruptcy on my company, going out of business, and going to driving a company truck. Just have to wait and see where this goes.....

Comment

Working...
                              X