Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns & Opioids ................

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns & Opioids ................

If you've been watching the news lately, after the Trump/Russia/Don Jr news, both local & national news has been covering the national battle against pain meds. Mostly zeroing in on opioids.
    Like the battle against guns, the abuse of these products, and the damage they inflict, tries to turn them into plain old EVIL !
    But is it the products themselves, or the misuse of them which makes them deadly ?
    As usual, rather than making people responsible for their own actions, it is so much easier for politicians to blame an inanimate object like a firearm or pill.
    So as more laws are passed to control and even outright BAN these products, those of us who use them legally, and in the case of pain medication, under the care of a legitimate doctor, are the ones most seriously affected.

I enjoy target shooting. I like guns. The engineering, the different uses (target shooting, hunting, self protection, collecting), the history behind a particular hand gun or rifle are ALL legitimate uses law abiding citizens get out of firearms.
    I do not enjoy CHRONIC PAIN. I didn't take the 'easy way out' of dealing with it by just using medications. I've had a hip replacement, two back surgeries, (The last one involving fusing FIVE discs, and holding my spinal cord together with titanium rods, nuts, bolts and screws.
    I've also had a series of injections into my lower back. The last ones as recent as last Thursday, and more scheduled in three weeks.
    I also take FOUR medications for chronic pain. One of which is a so called "OPIOID". I don't abuse my meds. In fact I try not to take the daily amount I am prescribed. But if you suffer from chronic, dibilitating pain, you know that it beats you down mentally, more than physically, as you cannot enjoy the every day activities you once did.... gardening, walks, grand kids, car shows etc etc.

Politicians always take the EASY WAY to 'solve' a problem:
    A psychopath steals a rifle and kills ten people ! ..... Ban that type of rifle.
    A junkie over doses on Percocet !.... Restrict prescriptions for pain meds that a doctor can write.

The heck with the overwhelming majority of Americans who use firearms legally and/or take pain medication to try to get some improved 'quality of life.'

It would be so easy for me to blame all the failures in my life on a product, or an inanimate object, instead of blaming myself for not working hard enough, or studying hard enough. But thankfully I came from a "No Excuses" family and was taught to take responsibility for my OWN actions, and not to blame some other things or people, when I screwed up.
    Thanks Dad. You taught me well ! Too bad our politicians weren't raised that way....
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

I know what youre going through, Eddie. My lovely bride suffers from a permanent disabling disease that causes her a LOT of pain twenty four hours a day and she sees her pain management doc each month to receive her next script. When we were first married twelve years ago she got 90 day scripts for the same pain meds (she takes morphine and oxycodone). She HAS to have these meds or her pain level is so intense and relentless that suicide is a viable option she has told me. Recently, her pain Dr cut her back 33% with NO notice and NO weaning saying she wasn't going to be 'that kind' of doctor (we presume one that is audited for over-prescribing). Meanwhile, SWMBO has been suffering through the DTs and increased pain. Im ready to sue her pain Dr and find another more reliable and sympathetic.
    Mark C ~
    M&M member #332
    1965 coupe - owned since '79
    1970 Mach 1 T-5 (export Mustang) - owned since '86
    http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpages/70MachT5.html
    "My '65 coupe is going back together"
    /___ ___ ___ \
    (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
    \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
    |___| ...... |___|

Comment

That is a very sad story Mark. And not only sad, but the uncaring of her doctor is (in my opinion) treacherous. I am so sorry to hear this about your wife. My heart goes out to you both. I hope you follow through with any civil action against her doctor. For him (or her) to be so callous as to cut her off like that, this 'quack' needs to learn about compassion.
      Good luck and my best hopes and wished for the Misses !
      Eddie "D"
      '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
      "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
      M&M Member #339.

Comment

^ ^ ^ +1 on what Eddie Said! ^ ^ ^
        Sincerely,
        Gene
        To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
        '68 coupe/5.0/T5
        '69 F250
        '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
        '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

The problem is the same one with the health care system and costs... LAWYERS! doctors are afraid of getting sued, so they take the safe way out.
          Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
            The problem is the same one with the health care system and costs... LAWYERS! doctors are afraid of getting sued, so they take the safe way out.
            Exactly. Everybody wants to blame somebody else for their problems, so they turn to the courts and lawyers. If they made these people pay for some of the frivolous lawsuits they file, it might stop a lot of it.

Only problem is, most politicians are lawyers, so they don't want to change anything that would hurt their business!
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

^ ^ ^ +1 On What Bobby Said! ^ ^ ^
              Gene
              To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
              '68 coupe/5.0/T5
              '69 F250
              '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
              '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Working...
              X