Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It had to happen sooner or later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They sure don’t make it easy for the independents, it sure seems.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
      They sure don’t make it easy for the independents, it sure seems.
      You don't know the half of it Steve. Trucking is one of the highest regulated industries in the US. I have a one inch thick book with a lot of them, but not all. Most are petty stuff like color and sizes and placement of lights, others dip down into a driver's health, like bp, eyesight, etc. Some are needed, some are stupid. I could go on for a while on the stupid ones!
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

What sucks is every minute you’re dealing with that, you aren’t TCBing. Only from the mind of bureaucrats...
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I got an email response this past Monday, quicker than I thought. It was written by the same guy I talked to on the phone. "Status closed - no data correction made". So I've been sending an average of one email per evening to law firms, 2 have responded saying they don't do this kind of case, the other 5 haven't responded. The one I've sent Friday evening hasn't really had a chance yet, but I don't have much hope.

There were 2 fairly short paragraphs in "explanation" of why they won't change it - I don't think it would be right to repeat it all here. He claims a committee made the decision, but I don't believe that, I think it was just him. "No data correction made" - funny how the truth kinda just slips out there sometimes, isn't it? Why didn't he say "no ~changes~ will be made"? So he knows it's incorrect? Also "The deputies at BCSO are trained through the same program as our state officers, so therefore they are aware of the proper methods/procedures for inspecting commercial vehicles." So yes, I did hurt his little feelings when I questioned the ability of non DOT people - that one probably really did cost me, but I'm not going to beat myself up for telling the truth.

Also: "...you stated in our phone conversation that the load was not covered / secured because of a broken tarp mechanism. You also stated that you did cover the load before you proceeded away, hence you remedied that OOS condition before you left." I DID NOT say my tarp was broken, either he made a mistake, or he's lying, and I suspect it's the latter. If what he said was true, I'd have had to done repair work on the truck during the stop, and I never said or implied that. I think he's doing a dance. He also said that he had no control over how insurance companies determine a safety rating, but that 1 inspection isn't enough to determine an official safety rating, that federal calculations require 3. But he didn't explain why he couldn't take the "100% OOS" description off. Seems to me a good lawyer would be itching to pick up a phone and start barking at him. Maybe I'm dreaming.

I have to keep looking, I suspect the reason no lawyer has yet responded is because they're afraid of the state of Ky. - that's where all those I've emailed so far are located. I might have to do some looking in Ohio or Indiana. I live very close to both of those states. I'm gong to run this by a lady at my church tomorrow who has a law degree - maybe she can steer me in the right direction.

My insurance agent sent me one more quote, which pretty much wraps up all his connections for insurance, other than Progressive. It's for $20,819.87 for one year. That of course would put me out of business. Still a chance he can get me with Progressive for about $7000.00 per year for liability only. That's doable, I've been turning over in my mind the possibility of just selling out and driving a company truck for somebody else, either my dispatcher, or a local excavation company, but I'd take a pay cut of much more than $7000, and work a lot longer hours too.

I called another insurance agent that, unlike the guy I have now, specializes in only heavy truck insurance. I explained everything to her, and she seems to think she can get me something reasonable, I think they have many more companies to work with than my guy does. So we'll see. If I can get something for $7000.00 or less, I'm going to have to go for it right away. But I'm not going to stop with this SMS thing until I can get some decent legal representation, I don't care if it takes years.

I've seen a couple of Sheriff cars this week, and a little tongue of flame shoots through my gizzard each time I see one. It's too bad, I don't appreciate it at all when someone lumps all dump truck drivers into one class just because of the actions of one or two, but I guess it's just human nature to do that. I just have to try really hard to remind myself that all sheriff guys aren't necessarily like that one. Not easy.

Thanks for reading folks, I really do appreciate having a place to vent.
          Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
          71 F-250 4x2
          88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Marc, could you possibly lease your truck out to another company, then get on their insurance? That's the way mine is set up, I'm leased on to a company, they pay all the liability, and it's spread out over 400 trucks instead of just one. You would lose some of the flexibility of running independently, but should still have the ability to work when you wanted to.
            It would be very hard for me to go back to driving for somebody else, I'm too set in my ways.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

That is something I hadn't really thought of Bobby, thanks I will check with my dispatcher about it if need be. He has a partner also, with about 6 trucks, whom I get along with very well. And I'm pretty locked in with them, I don't seek or accept other work, except small stuff that I can work in without being unavailable to them. I was thinking my first choice would be to just drive for one of them, that way there'd be no change in my duties at all, and I really do like what I do. Two problems with that though, they're both about 25 traffic jam filled miles from me, and I can't be commuting in my 4 wheeler that kind of distance, they'd have to let me keep the truck at home, which they might not be able to do. The worst part of course is that I'd have to sell the Ford, and I couldn't get a third of what it's worth to me. The engine and trans are both fresh, but that claim means nothing to a buyer. I know it would mean nothing to me.

The other piece-of-mind that I have is this local construction / dump trucking company that rents extra trucks from us a lot. I know and like many of those guys - 6 years ago when I was driving the Mack and having all that engine trouble with mine, one of their foreman tried to get me to drive for them, pretty much implied that I had a job with them whenever I wanted it. And they're busy these days, so I'd say that offer holds. They're close enough that a commute wouldn't be a problem. But I'd still have to take a big loss in selling the Ford. I'm set in my ways as well, this foreman stressed that I could walk away at the end of each day not worrying about the truck. But I know it's not that simple - there would be a process to report mechanical problems, likely to somebody who says "what did you tear up now?" as I'm approaching him. I'd rather fix stuff myself than deal with that kind of conflict. I also like to make my own decisions on when to replace brakes, tires, where and when to buy fuel etc.

We'll see what happens, I gave the lady at my church with the law degree a copy of the email I'd been sending out, (her specialty is finance) but she said she'd make some calls and try to steer me in the right direction.

Bobby, is the identification displayed on your truck your individual name, or is it the name of the company you lease under? Do you use their DOT number or yours? I also have the KYU complication. (mileage tax) Only 4 states do it, and Alabama isn't one.
              Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
              71 F-250 4x2
              88 F-150 4X2

Comment

Only name on my truck is the company I'm leased to, I use their number. We had a KYU number for years, but we don't put it on the trucks anymore. I'm lucky, the company figures all my fuel taxes and pays them, even the KY mileage tax if I go there. They also pay my IRP and IFTA, also my ad valorem, but I have to fill out and pay the 2290 {$550 Federal road use tax}.

One thing I missed until just now, the letter you got back said it takes 3 reports to determine a safety record, probably true on the Federal level, but I was thinking that they had taken the safety reports down from their website and only published the given rating, if that's the case, how did the insurance people get a copy of a rating that doesn't yet exist? Sounds fishy....

One other route might be to talk to OOIDA. They have their own insurance program, their own lawyers, etc, they might be able to give you a hand, even if you have to join it's I think $45 a year. I've been planning on joining myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Working...
                X