Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacement stereo ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement stereo ?

well I guess I am getting spoiled driving the wife`s 15 Focus & having sirius radio.
    I am thinking about replacing the radio in my 04 Ranger with one that is sirius compatable. I have done a bit of research but now
    more or less confused about the best radio for the money ( read as I am cheap but confused on the deatails/specs for the radios ).

also I would like to install one in my coupe (single din style ) so any suggestions are appreciated.

last but not least I am also considering a back up camera for the coupe due to the blind spots in these old rides. thanks
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

I have one of the add on XM radio's in the truck, I love it. Mine plays through the AUX jack with a small cord.

The problem with changing the radio on a lot of late models is not only finding something to fit the dash, a lot of factory radios are integrated into the cars computer systems. I can't say on your Ranger, but I'd bet the Focus is set up that way. It makes it almost impossible to use anything but factory units unless you know a pro installer.

The Toyota Camry we rented and drove to Texas had a back up camera, first one I've ever used. It was pretty neat, put it in reverse, and it came on, and you could see behind you pretty good, although depth perception seemed a bit off to me. I still used my mirrors, years of trucking trusting the mirrors. Might be a good addition to your coupe, I may think about one for the Lincoln. The small rear window and it being up so high does limit rear visibility a lot.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I wont swear to it, but I am pretty sure they sell back up cameras now that look basically like a license plate frame and arent very expensive. I keep kicking around getting one for my dually to make it easier to line up with the trailer hitch.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Crutchfield.com is really an excellent site to get info, ask questions, and get great advice about anything mobile audio.
        Yes, they can be a bit more expensive than "Best Buy", or Amazon.com, but the overall info you can get, as well as all the wiring adapters, wiring diagrams for your particular application, as well as faceplate adapters, etc....all included when you buy a stereo.
        Ive probably bought about 3-4 car stereo set ups from Crutchfield over the last 10 years or so. The awesome set up I have in my Mach 1 was all Crutchfield.
        Sony touchscreen stereo, JL Audio fronts, rears, subs, tweeters in the doors.....and two amps!!
        I ALWAYS compare their prices to Amazon, but usually find that they are reasonably competitive, (IMO), but considering how technical their website is and how much assistance they give you, as well as the "extras", I find them a great value.
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I have been doing some research & do not think the license plate type back up camera will work as the gas tank cover slants about 45*
          and that`s where the license plate is.
          I hope to find a unit similar to the 1 in the wife`s Focus with the scale/guide lines.

still looking over stereo units from Crutchfield & others. lots of info I need to get straight in my head............
          thanks
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Yeah, if the cover isnt flat I dont think one of those cheaper license plate frame back up cameras will work.
            Rob Hetzler
            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
            X