Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man I haven't been paying attention evidently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man I haven't been paying attention evidently

Was watching the NW nationals yesterday and they mentioned the MPH for a 1,000 foot race, I said "they're racing a thousand foot now? when did that happen?" went on and saw it's been going on since 2008. Funny part is I went to the nationals about 3-4 years ago, I had in the back of my mind "man that seems shorter than a quarter mile" but shrugged it off. I gotta pay better attention to the news.
    Ron

They did that after all the big wrecks. I think Force was the last one to wreck before they changed it.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

They changed it after Scott Kalitta's crash. RIP Scott
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.49 @ 125.35

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Ron, I hope you're not getting old & senile like me, buddy !!
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
          Ron, I hope you're not getting old & senile like me, buddy !!
          Nope Eddie that ain't happening, not as long as President Reagan is in office.
          Ron

Comment

I had no idea either . . . doesn't that just take the stiff out of your wood . . .
            Mark C ~
            M&M member #332
            1965 coupe - owned since '79
            1970 Mach 1 T-5 (export Mustang) - owned since '86
            http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpages/70MachT5.html
            "My '65 coupe is going back together"
            /___ ___ ___ \
            (]]]_ _ O _ __[[[)
            \_ o _ ___ _ o _/
            |___| ...... |___|

Comment

Originally posted by 70MachT-5 View Post
              I had no idea either . . . doesn't that just take the stiff out of your wood . . .
              Glad I'm not the only ill-informed
              Ron

Comment

A little more than 1/5th of a mile! I guess maybe that's why in the past few years, I've been so amazed by the lower ETs, while at the same time, a little confused by how low the top speeds are for those ETs.
                Sheesh,
                Gene
                To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                '69 F250
                '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                  They changed it after Scott Kalitta's crash. RIP Scott
                  OK, I knew it was after a bad crash, was thinking it was Force though.
                  Never figured why they didn't just go to 1/8 mile, most all the tracks in the south are 1/8. Probably not over two or three quarters in the whole state of AL.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

OK, I knew it was after a bad crash, was thinking it was Force though.
                    Never figured why they didn't just go to 1/8 mile, most all the tracks in the south are 1/8. Probably not over two or three quarters in the whole state of AL.
                    1/8 mile tracks typically don't have a very long shut down area as the speeds (at least back when those tracks where being built) are quit a bit lower than 1/4 mile tracks. The fuel cars where given another 320' to slow down and that actually is quit a bit. Ever notice when a fuel car goes up in smoke around half track? The ET is only down a tenth or two but they lose a ton of mph.
                    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
                    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.49 @ 125.35

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
                    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

I was thinking more about just running 1/8 on the existing 1/4 tracks, just like they do the 1000 ft now. I know a couple of tracks do that now, just not during Nhra or Ihra events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post

Nope Eddie that ain't happening, not as long as President Reagan is in office.
                        Ronald Reagan !!!!! He's in Hollywood making movies I think Ron .... I sure hope he decides to run for President...... Eisenhower is getting old and I don't think he'll run again !
                        Eddie "D"
                        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Working...
                        X