Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Before' pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Before' pictures

I thought this might make a good topic for a thread, how about posting what your favorite car looked liked when you first got it? Here's my Mach right after the transporter dropped it off from it's trip from San Francisco, where it apparently was ridden hard and put away wet. The '68 Mustang wheelcovers and '69 left front fender were interesting modifications from the previous owners:

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

They also painted the faded stripes with some garbage paint and used hardware store lettering you'd use on your mailbox to replace the '351' callouts on the hood.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

I'll have to find a few and download them. They are buried somewhere in my basement of multiple Rubbermaid storage bins. great idea Steve !
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Here is a pic of a Polaroid pic (before we had a digital camera) from early Spring 2002 a few months after I got it home. Not much there, the shell, trunk lid, dash board, steering column, both fenders, front & rear suspension, & 4 mis matched tires. Just enough to make it a roller.

Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Boy Steve, you did start with a POS! Hope you didn't pay much for it! Hard to believe it's the same car now.
        I'll have to do some looking but I have some before pics of my Maverick and my Lincoln back on the computer since photobucket wont let me hotlink anymore.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
          Boy Steve, you did start with a POS! Hope you didn't pay much for it! Hard to believe it's the same car now.
          I'll have to do some looking but I have some before pics of my Maverick and my Lincoln back on the computer since photobucket wont let me hotlink anymore.
          It was dented on every panel and tons of really half-assed work on it, like wrong parts, parts held on with goofy things like telephone cords, wood screws, and bathroom silicone caulk, but it had two things I was looking for, all of the original Mach parts still on it and virtually zero rust, the worst rust being a hole that was the size of a quarter next to the taillight. It came totally apart without using any heat or penetrant, which is mind boggling for Mainers like us.
          "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

Dents can be a pain, but relatively easier than trying to cut out all the "cancer" to make sure it doesn't return! Were all the floor pans actually solid and rust free also? The car certainly looks fantastic now! Do you actually drive it regularly, as it deserves?
            Just Curious,
            Gene
            To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
            '68 coupe/5.0/T5
            '69 F250
            '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
            '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Here's the Maverick sitting in the guys back yard in Charlotte NC the day I bought it.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Here's it finished

Comment

Originally posted by horseballz View Post
                  Dents can be a pain, but relatively easier than trying to cut out all the "cancer" to make sure it doesn't return! Were all the floor pans actually solid and rust free also? The car certainly looks fantastic now! Do you actually drive it regularly, as it deserves?
                  Just Curious,
                  Gene
                  Check it out yourself, the red you see in the before pictures of the floor is red oxide the San Jose plant put down in December 1969. Looking back I now regret painting it with Eastwood's Correless paint, I now wish I had left it just as I found it.

http://mustangsandmore.com/memberpag...oration_d.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

It was dented on every panel and tons of really half-assed work on it, like wrong parts, parts held on with goofy things like telephone cords, wood screws, and bathroom silicone caulk, but it had two things I was looking for, all of the original Mach parts still on it and virtually zero rust, the worst rust being a hole that was the size of a quarter next to the taillight. It came totally apart without using any heat or penetrant, which is mind boggling for Mainers like us.
                    My question Steve, and a BIG question for internet buyers who have only a picture and the seller's words ..... Was it advertised HONESTLY by the seller ? And did he list the deficiencies ???

Here's the Maverick sitting in the guys back yard in Charlotte NC the day I bought it.
                    I have a buddy, my best friend, who would have KILLED for that Maverick. He was a cop with me, and a self taught car mechanic, and the best 'wrench turner' I ever knew. He ALWAYS said he wished he had a Maverick to restore and turn into a "Hot Rod."
                    Typical of good guys, he would work on and fix my old 'beater' cars, before he worked on his own. He's a year older than me, and still working at a job he took after leaving the P.D., and like me, just lost his wife one year ago to cancer.
                    Although my wife has been gone since 1998, her and my buddy's wife were best friends. (as cops wives usually are).
                    I've been telling him for the last 12 months to "retire, and buy a Maverick, that you always talked to me about, one day buying ..."

Eddie "D"
                    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

My question Steve, and a BIG question for internet buyers who have only a picture and the seller's words ..... Was it advertised HONESTLY by the seller ? And did he list the deficiencies ???
                      Actually, he did. He was very honest. The guy I bought it from was a huge Mopar fan and Ford hater, and he only had it because he took it in trade on some hemi 'Cuda he sold and just wanted it gone. He knew enough that he knew what it was worth and told me it needed a complete professional restoration, and stressed it wasn't something I could toss some tires and a oil change and go cruising. He had tons of pictures and took a few more that I had requested. On top of that, a friend I knew that lived close by and owned a beautiful Grabber Orange '70 Mach was nice enough to go and check it out for me and said it was so rust free that if I didn't buy it, he would. I found out about the car through this website. The previous owner said he did a google search for Mustang forums and this one popped up and he emailed the webmaster asking if I knew anyone interested in it. At first I replied not really (because I didn't want to be a party to a transaction with someone I didn't know) and suggested he put it on ebay. I then deleted the email, but a few days later I had been thinking about it, and talking to my wife and she said 'What are you doing, isn't that your dream car? Buy it!' At first I thought that was an insane idea, since I had just started taking apart my Sprint for it's long due restoration. Long story short, I bought the car, the Sprint was put on the back burner once again, and Mike and I dove into the Mach restoration.

Comment

Here's it finished
                        Very nice! My older brother had a '70 or '71 Grabber Blue Maverick Grabber and it drove me nuts that I really thought it was cool even though it had a six cylinder and three on the tree, but to my hot rodder hating liberal older brother felt it was like any other car and he actually disliked the Grabber aspect of it because he said "idiot hot rodders" (like me...) kept asking him about it and wanted to talk to him all the time when he was driving it or gassing it up. He drove the wheels off it then sold it to some kid.

Comment

I probably should've kept the Maverick, but I have wanted a pre 48 street rod for years. My Lincoln is not exactly what I was thinking of, but I loved it at first sight, mainly because it's different. I have a soft spot for well designed out of the mainstream cars.
                          I even like Edsels!

Comment

What's not to love about a proper land barge, like an Edsel, or your Lincoln, for that matter!
                            Cheers,
                            Gene
                            To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                            '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                            '69 F250
                            '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                            '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Working...
                            X