Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My take on eclipse viewing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on eclipse viewing

I'm about 100 to 150 miles north from the total eclipse path. I faintly remember partials in the late seventies and early nineties, but from what I'm hearing, this will be the best one yet for my area, in my lifetime.

I'm sure most here are like me, somewhat interested, but not near interested enough to try to buy special "eclipse glasses" which are about as rare and hard to get as tickle-me-elmo dolls were at one time.

Those who weld, either for a living, or even rarely as a hobby, know what the "shade" numbers mean for welding lenses. A 10 or 11 seems to be the most common for arc welding. Though they're only one number apart, the difference isn't hard to see. I prefer a 10, but if I welded more often I'd use an 11. The 10 lets me see a little more of the area around where I'm working, especially if my lens is a little dirty or well worn. For cutting torch work, I use a 5 shade.

SO, I'm seeing on the news etc that a shade 14 or darker is recommended for eclipse viewing. When I was at work in the early 90's, one of my co-workers taped two shade 10s together, to make a very safe shade 20 for watching the partial we had then, but it was really dark and hard to see with it. I have taped and ready a shade 10 on a shade 5, and in looking at the sun with it yesterday, it seems pretty good. I personally don't have the time or interest to stare at it for 5 minutes or more to watch the movement as many do, but I'd like to check it out for....10 or 15 seconds at a time. I'll be at work in my truck, but I should have the chance when loading or unloading, to take a quick look. The thing I'm most wondering about is how dark it will be, if stars will be visible in my area. I think they will be in exact path, but probably not in my area. We'll see!

I did a quick look on the net to try to find out what "shade" normal sunglasses would be, and didn't find anything. I'd guess them to vary around a 1.5 to 2.5, depending on how they're made and how old they are. Not near enough for eclipse viewing of course, but if I wanted to do only a 10 or 15 second check of it, and had only a shade 10 or 11 welding lens, it seems to me that lens combined with some good sunglasses would be okay.

Anyway, be careful out there folks! If in doubt, don't look. Our eyes aren't worth taking chances on!
    Marc

88 L-9000 tri-axle dump
    71 F-250 4x2
    88 F-150 4X2

My take on the Solar Eclipse ............................... "Much ado about nothing !" I have seen SO MUCH coverage of this on both local & national news programs, it's amazing. They are saying that people are travelling hundreds or thousands of miles to go the the (mostly) small towns, on this diagonal track (Washington State to South Carolina I think) of the Sun on Monday.

Personally I don't think I'd take the 10 steps to my backyard to see it. And I can tell you RIGHT UP FRONT ... I wouldn't spend 10 cents for some special glasses to see it, let alone the ridiculous prices of 'scalping' money some places are selling them for.

Hey, but that's just me. I'm 71. Have lived through Haley's Comet, at least one other eclipse, the end of the world on December 21, 2012 (remember that scam), and the end of all computers on that terrible and infamous "Millennium" of Midnight 12/31/1999 to 01/01/2000 .... oh yeah, and more importantly, lived through and survived the "TET Offensive", Republic of Vietnam January 31st, 1968 ...... as well as many other, exciting, terrifying, wondrous, death defying, fantastic, world events ...

Oh, did I say ... "I'll pass on this tomorrow." ..... I wonder what old movie is on cable, on "Turner Classic Movies" tomorrow around 4PM EDT ?? Maybe some "End of the World, Alien Invasion" flick from the 1950's ...
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

Comment

I can understand the lack of excitement from those who will see a partial....like in Pa Eddie.....but I'm lucky to live in North Kansas City, Mo, and we are in the path of 100% totality. The hype around here is pretty exciting!!
      My boss is actually shutting down work tomorrow between 11:00-1:00, ordering the entire dealership pizza and bought everyone a pair of viewing glasses. Hopefully the weather holds out, but even with clouds, it's going to get dark outside!!

I remember the last total eclipse in 1979, I was 12 and in elementary school. No glasses back then, just a couple of pieces of paper with a hole in it....type of contraption.

A couple of local school districts are also closing tomorrow as they don't want to deal with any possible litigation from sue happy parents when their kids come home with damaged eyesight from solar retinopathy.
      Last edited by submariner mustanger; 08-20-2017, 07:59 PM.
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I just hope I can get out of Nashville in the morning before the eclipse traffic jams start. It crosses north of there so maybe going south won't be a problem.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by fordtrucker View Post
          I'm about 100 to 150 miles north from the total eclipse path. I faintly remember partials in the late seventies and early nineties, but from what I'm hearing, this will be the best one yet for my area, in my lifetime.

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
          I can understand the lack of excitement from those who will see a partial....like in Pa Eddie.....but I'm lucky to live in North Kansas City, Mo, and we are in the path of 100% totality. The hype around here is pretty exciting!!
          Marc & Craig ....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE !!!

Yesterday I was in a bad mood. And I fear that I am getting old, cynical and cranky ....

I don't blame anyone for being excited about this. Yes, in many areas like Craig's, this will be a 'once in a lifetime' experience. Old and young, hopefully, will experience the eclipse safely, and enjoy this rare event.
          I should not have been such a wise ass. I guess that so many things have been hyped in all of our lifetimes, and MOST of these things are usually "Over-Hyped", fail to produce what was expected, and are complete disappointments, and do not live up to expectations.

Again, I apologize for being the old, boring, WET BLANKET ................... Enjoy and be safe everyone.
          Last edited by 70 Pony; 08-21-2017, 07:45 AM.
          Eddie "D"
          '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
          "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
          M&M Member #339.

Comment

I wonder how many people will be blinded by cheap Chinese glasses with a fake ISO number printed on them.
            Ron

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

Marc & Craig ....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE !!!

Yesterday I was in a bad mood. And I fear that I am getting old, cynical and cranky ....

I don't blame anyone for being excited about this. Yes, in many areas like Craig's, this will be a 'once in a lifetime' experience. Old and young, hopefully, will experience the eclipse safely, and enjoy this rare event.
              I should not been such a wise ass. I guess that so many things have been hyped in all of our lifetimes, and MOST of these things are usually "Over-Hyped", fail to produce what was expected, and are complete disappointments, and do not live up to expectations.

Again, I apologize for being the old, boring, WET BLANKET ................... Enjoy and be safe everyone.
              No apology needed Eddie! It really is kind of over-hyped, I think the ones who are truly excited are the astronomers and scientists who get this once in a lifetime opportunity to examine and study the suns corona during this event.
              The rest of us.....well......it'll be something neat to see and I'm going to record it on my phone, but to tell you the truth, I'm more excited about the fact that my fiancée and I....this time next week....will be lounging, boating, snorkeling, and drinking mixed drinks in Key West Florida for an entire week!!!!!!
              Eclipse....schmeclipse......bring on the FUN!!!

M&M Member #91
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post
                I wonder how many people will be blinded by cheap Chinese glasses with a fake ISO number printed on them.
                Fortunately, probably not going to happen as it's pretty easy to tell if they're authentic or not.....you just have to put them on and take a look. If you can't see ANYTHING at all, then you're good to go. If you CAN see anything just looking through them in normal conditions, throw them away and get another. The real question is, how many people know this?

Anyway, I picked mine up from one of our local eye centers, and I questioned the "made in China" wording on them. I asked them "how do I know if they're safe", and they explained to me what I just passed on. I also found a couple of videos online from another eye dr type who explained it also.
                M&M Member #91

Comment

I guess I'm old and cranky just like Eddie because I also feel it's much ado about not much. I remember how everyone went crazy about the one in '79, myself included, and afterwards being underwhelmed and saying "...that was it? We got that excited about a shadow?"

But I don't look down on anyone excited or looking forward to it, I hope it's spectacular for you.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                  My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  "Never offer advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it." ~ author unknown

Comment

As of this minute, looks like it's going to be a washout here in Kansas City. It's raining and the sky is black, typical summer storm. They're hoping it'll pass before 1:00, but i'm not holding my breath.

All the astronomers and the like were saying that St. Joseph, MO (which is about 40 miles north of me) is supposed the be THE middle of the country, GROUND ZERO, for the eclipse totality. All hotels up there have been booked solid for weeks, traffic was standstill yesterday
                    traveling up I29 north.

Been seeing on some social media sites that now there's a mad dash to get to Marshall, MO which is roughly 100 miles east and a little south of St. Joseph.....where they don't expect any cloud cover.
                    Too much hype.....usually ends in disappointment.
                    M&M Member #91

Comment

I am about 150 miles south of the totality path - they are saying we should see about 96-98% depending on who want to believe. I think it's pretty cool but not enough to override my dislike for large groups of people and traffic to go fight for areas with 100%.

I just checked, I set my helmet on 13 (highest it will go) with a gold lens and I can look at the sun for a bit. I think with sunglasses on under it, I will be good. I did set up my camera on a tripiod to get some pics though.

Now for the funny part.... Saturday, I ran out to the local welding shop to fill up my kegerator bottle and there were a few people in there looking for lenses that have never welded or been in a welding shop for that matter. They were a touch out of place. The shop had a little display setup at the counter with "Eclipse Filters" written on it in Sharpie. Next to it were "Eclipse Masks". When those folks left, I asked about it... he said they were a just a bunch of generic #14 fixed shade lens they had laying around they saw a way to get rid of since 14 fixed isn't a huge seller.
                      Rick Stevens
                      Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                      - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                      - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

The rain cleared, sunny skies. It's on like donkey kong!!!!!
                        M&M Member #91

Comment

Here in southern NJ we were only going to get about 75% coverage, I watched the total coverage on the weather channel.
                          Mike & Robin Grentus
                          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                          M&M Member #- 890
                          MCA #- 4549
                          My 69 Coupe build album
                          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Well we got about 92% coverage and I gotta tell what impressed me wasn't the eclipse, it's how bright the sun is with only 8% of it shining down, it only got a tad bit dark, it was like a sunny day when a cloud moves across the sky.
                            Ron

Comment

It was ok, but honestly, if my employer hadnt given everyone eclipse viewing glasses and had an "eclipse party" on the roof (where they served snacks and sodas), I never would have paid any attention to it. It was impressive how bright out it was with only 7% of the sunlight getting thru. And it was kind of cool to look at thru the glasses, but like I said, nothing I would go out of my way to see again.
                              Rob Hetzler
                              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                              X