Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best looking-body style in past 17 yrs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best looking-body style in past 17 yrs?

Fellas,
    First off, for me the '69FB will always be my favorite body style.

But the other day, on my way to work I drove by a very clean black '05 GT with silver stripes parked by the road. It was for sale in the front yard of a modest home. I usually don't give these newer Mustangs much eye time, but this one grew on me as I drove by it the next few days. Then I stopped. The hand-written paper laying on the dash told me it was a GT Deluxe, 4.6L SOHC, 5-speed manual, 72K miles, $7500. Then the next day it was gone.

But ever since then, I've been thinking about the last three generations of Mustangs: The 4th Gen being '94-04, 5th Gen being '05-'14, and 6th Gen being '15 to present. I simply can't seem to appreciate the 6th generation style....it has lost its Mustang look to me. For some reason I seem to gravitate back to the looks of that '05 GT.

Which body style of these three generations of Mustangs is the favorite with the M&M bunch?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

'13 or '14 for me. Love the blacked out tail on it compared to the earlier versions. That and it has the 'yote in it and not the 4.6 mod. I was looking forward to buying a 50th but the new car just doesn't do it for me. Nice car but after driving a few it just seems like a 2 door v8 Fusion and not anything special like a Mustang should be.

I still have the '05 but I never was really sold on the plain looking rear compared to the later cars. It's a vert so we only drive it a few times a year and it's just waiting for my sons and I to have time to start gutting it to turn it into a S/Gas car.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.44 @ 125.97

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Definitely the 05 for me. I don't like the pointed rear and squashed nose on the next update of that body, and this last generation looks too much like a import from the side.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

If I were to buy a newer one for me it would be 94-04.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

I bought the only one of that bunch I liked.
          I think the newest generation blows the others out of the water. I never had any desire to own of the others, but once I saw a new one in person, man, I just had to have one.
          Rob Hetzler
          M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
          Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I like them all, at least 2005 and on. To be truthful, I never much liked the looks from '79-'04, but that's just subjective.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
            My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
            Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

I DO NOT like the look of these new generation Mustangs. They look way too much like those Hyundai 'whatevers' and a lot of other "sporty" 2 door imports. I think the 2005 'Stangs are the closest to the "Retro", 1967 to 1970 Fastbacks, and are my favorite style. I like hood scoops on Mustangs. Not the (Chevy) Cowl Induction hoods !
              I had an '02 GT. I'm sorry I traded it. I still like that style, as long as it is a GT and has the hood scoop. Of course they missed with the 'Bullitt', when they also had it in black I think, other than Highland Green. And FORD forgot to put louvres on the rear windows.
              Eddie "D"
              '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
              "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
              M&M Member #339.

Comment

for me i would go with the 05 style mustang, in fact i almost bought one when i was looking for a newer car to replace my 82 fairmont. i probably would have if the dealer had let me test drive the car, but they wouldnt for some reason, so i got my grand marquis instead.
                64 falcon
                66 mustang
                76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                and life is but an illusion

Comment

Although I have owned several FOX body Mustangs,as far as I am concerned, the 2005 to 2008 (?) Mustangs are the best looking Mustangs since 1973. I always considered the cars built from 1974 thru 2004 too small to be a real Mustang, Never was much of a fan of 94 thru 2004s Notchback styling, made the car look too stubby. When the 2005 first came out, I thought that Ford reallly nailed the classic look, but I did not care much for the "updated" look when they went to the angled tail lights a few years later. As for the current Mustangs, they look too much like a "boy racer" Japanese car to me. Too bad Ford went away from the V8 LX style of budget performance car after the FOX era. That priced a lot of people out of the V8 Mustang market, Now the differance between a base Mustang GT and a loaded one is basically restricted to seat material, stereo equipment, and wheels. Instead of the Ecoboost turbo 4 cylinder, I would rather see a budget V8 car, with maybe a solid axle and less standard doodads, but with the same GT engine & transmission choices. But maybe I am 1 of only a few that doesn`t "need" all the infotainment and conveniance features that the modern car buyer seems to expect.
                  1978 Fairmont 428CJ 4 speed 9.972@132.54.mph[/ 1.29 60 foot.
                  1985 Mustang NHRA Stock eliminator 302 4 speed M/S 12.31@106.99 mph, with 331 bracket engine: 10.29@128.71 1.37 50 foot
                  1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan 332 FE auto (finally under construction witha 428CJ and 4 speed.)
                  1974 F350 ramp truck 390 4 speed (gone buy not forgotten)
                  2010 Ranger PU 2.3L 5 speed
                  1999 F350 dually, V10 5 speed

Comment

I still like my '08 Bullitt. I don't know that there's a car out there that I like the lines on better. I really like the new ones and the advancements they bring to the table, but I really don't think it gets better as far as the lines. I've had rides around Hallett road course in both a '15 GT and a '17 GT350R and really liked them. While they don't have the retro look of the '05-08's, they still have a lot of traditional Mustang cues. As far as I'm concerned, they look more like a Mustang than the Fox bodied cars do (not that I didn't really enjoy my '87 GT back in the day). I thought my '98 Cobra was a step in the right direction as far as getting the traditional Mustang cues going again.
                    IMG_20170814_184732758 by Steve68Cougar, on Flickr
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Rory McNeil View Post
                      Now the differance between a base Mustang GT and a loaded one is basically restricted to seat material, stereo equipment, and wheels.
                      Big differences in suspension and gearing between a Performance Pack car and a base car in both GT and Ecoboost. I test drove a base EB car, it was a dog compared to my PP EB. You take a 2010 or older stock GT, my car is gonna hang with it in a straight line. Get in the twisties and I'm gonna show him tail lights, and get 10 mpg more than him.
                      The current generation Mustang handles and stops better than any previous Mustang, and that's just a fact.
                      It's bad enough the EB guys constantly get told their car "isnt a real Mustang cuz it doesnt have an 8 cylinder", now I get told it looks like a "boy racer Jap car".

Rob Hetzler
                      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Here's a pair of pennies from me, other than the 69-70 FB, there are some great years and super looking years. I really like the current incarnation of the GT, looks 200mph sitting still to me, The sound doesn't do much for me as my old grey hair covered ears are partial to a lumpy cam oozing out of a pair of flowmasters. Nice thread guys..... A fellow Mustanger who was a modern era guy, told me I should put one of the Terminator supercharged engines in my car (70 Mach 1) I told him if I had his $$$$$ to spend, I would place a call to Ernie Elliot and have him build me a bad to the bone dry sumped high winding screaming Cleveland and put it in front of a 5 speed. I was kind of disappointed and felt my age when he asked who Ernie Elliot was.....Any other dream rides out there????
                        1970 Mach 1, my wife's first car purchased for $1800 in 1977. .30 over 351 Cleveland 4V FMX tranny. Best ET with 3:00 to 1 gears 13.9 @ 102 mph

Comment

Guess I am easy. I like them all, uncluding the new ones. But as far as the best, how can you say no to Steve’s 08 ! Sweet!
                          Mike Gasdick 69 Cougar XR-7 , 14:1 358W Canfield heads, CalTrac's / split mono's, "Mighty Mite" C4 w/trans-brake. 11.39..so far.
                          1996 F-150 two wheel drive. 5.0 w/ E4OD.
                          2002 F250 Superduty 4x4 with a spark plug spittin', manifold crackin' , fuse box burnin , 5.4 !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve68Cougar View Post
                            I still like my '08 Bullitt. I don't know that there's a car out there that I like the lines on better. I really like the new ones and the advancements they bring to the table, but I really don't think it gets better as far as the lines. While they don't have the retro look of the '05-08's, they still have a lot of traditional Mustang cues.
                            NICE, Steve! That is a clean, sweet ride, my friend!

Now I know it is easy to get off the subject and start bringing in different discussions of various OE drivetrains, suspensions, etc. let alone aftermarket tweaks available.. But let's not get too far away from the OP question -- of the '94 to current model year, which body style/lines do you like best? Given the parameters of the question, I'll say I still like the 05, although there isn't much different compared to Steve's 08.....

Ryan
                            Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I don't know what I was thinking, I forgot all about the '04-'05 Ford GT. In my ultimate fantasy I'd be surrounded by them in all assorted colors and would use one as my daily driver.

IMG_0464.JPG
                              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                              My Mach's restoration progress
                              My Sprint's restoration progress
                              I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
                              Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Working...
                              X