Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East coast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East coast

I'm feeling so bad for you easterners .. The news has been showing reports about you're weather... It hardly gets above O degrees around here.. Been that way for about 3 wks now ..But only have about 2 in. of snow ..I haven't even had to shovel yet..

As for you southerners,,, Welcome to winter..
    Jim Soderberg

70 Mach 1
    Arest-me-red paint
    351W 4sp ,4bbl,Hooker sup-comp, magnaflow stainless

We got another foot yesterday. ...and man is it COLD. Tomorrow night we are expecting a low of -20.

I am so glad I donít have to work outside anymore, and I sure feel bad for those that do.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    It is much more effective to teach people how to swim than to try to dry all the world oceans.

Comment

Been lucky here in WV with no real snow but it's been frigid cold and windy!! I'm looking forward to the heatwave with 40 degree temps next week!
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

Yeah, we usually get a few days/nights with temps in the 20's, but not many years do we get stretches of 3-4 days below freezing, a slight warm up to 35 or so, then right back down in the freezer. It's been in the low teens 6 out of the last 10 days, warmest was today with a balmy 41. Looks like the end is in sight, after tonight's 14, it gets up to around 50 tomorrow, with rain moving in on late Sunday, then more normal temps, 50's in the day, 30's and 40's at night.

I lost an outdoor faucet Wed, the top froze and busted off, and it was well wrapped in pipe wrap and covered in rubber sheeting. Must have been that cold wind that blew for three days straight out of the north. I just screwed a cap on it, will put on a new elbow when it warms up. A friends water has frozen where it comes off the meter...twice. It's never frozen before in the 20 years it's been hooked up.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Global warming I guess???......
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

We in southern NJ got 12". I went in to work at 3:30 am the day of the storm when there was only 1" on the ground, driving home at 10:00 am was a different story with my guess 6-8" on the roads made a 25 min drive almost a 1 hour nail biter. Here is a pic from this morning. I had to clean the driveway once I got home due to snow drifts & the wonderful snow plows, Then had to clean it again today due to more snow drifts & another visit from the plows. Thank God my snow blower worked great, I hope this is it for this winter.

Mike & Robin Grentus
            69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
            08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
            00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
            99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
            14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
            M&M Member #- 890
            MCA #- 4549
            My 69 Coupe build album
            http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

We've been battling frozen pipes the last 3 or 4 days, I cant even remember for how long now. It takes most of the day to get them thawed out and working correctly, but then by morning they are froze up again.
              Rob Hetzler
              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I hate this time of the year because it feels like Mother Nature is trying to kill us. Winter is definitely the longest season to me. A local weather man made me chuckle when he said we were going to finally get air that didnít freeze our nostril hairs.

Whenever I crab about our weather though, I look at the North America map and see the lows in the midwest and Canada and wonder how they make it through, they are definitely made of sturdier stock than me.
                It is much more effective to teach people how to swim than to try to dry all the world oceans.

Comment

Kid - have you tried letting them drip just a little bit? I remember doing that as a kid to keep pipes from freezing up.
                  Rick Stevens
                  Billet Fluid Line Clamps: www.lsbilletworks.com

- FFR Mark III Cobra Replica (aka Rayne)
                  - 68 Mustang Coupe - drag car under construction
                  - 2012 F250 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                    I hate this time of the year because it feels like Mother Nature is trying to kill us. Winter is definitely the longest season to me. A local weather man made me chuckle when he said we were going to finally get air that didnít freeze our nostril hairs.

Whenever I crab about our weather though, I look at the North America map and see the lows in the midwest and Canada and wonder how they make it through, they are definitely made of sturdier stock than me.
                    Steve, my brother told me that the Nor'Easter that came up the coast was going to hit Maine with Hurricane Force Winds ..He knew I had a friend in Maine, since I quote you, to him, a lot.
                    Did you or are you getting real high winds up your way ??
                    We've been in the teens during the day. Single digits or negative #'s at night. Very high winds with gusts around 40-45 mph, and a few inches of snow Wednesday night into Thursday.
                    I was outside briefly today (Saturday Jan 6th) and I think that this day is the worst wind chills of the last week ... it is truly WICKED out there today ..!!

EVERYONE PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THIS WEATHER ... IT IS DANGEROUS !!
                    Eddie "D"
                    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                    M&M Member #339.

Comment

Yep, here in mid-MI this past week we've been in the single digits during the day and sub-zero at night. Problems that don't normally show up - do.

Yesterday AM (Friday) it was -8*F @ 6:30AM when I fired up my 4-cylinder Ranger, he ran while I swept him off and then headed into work. When it's sub-zero, I usually put my trickle charger on it - just 'cause I can. My Ranger lives outside so even with a known good battery, sub zero temps will put a strain on it. I figure there is no sense to straining the equipment if I don't need to. Although it fired right up, my little truck still made some non-typical sounds for the first 2-3 minutes. Not surprising since it still has very cold motor oil, cold coolant, and cold power steering fluid. I usually give it at least 4-5 minutes of run time before I start down the driveway.

This morning it was only -1*F but warmed up to about 4 above with lots of Sunshine! Best part was there was absolutely NO WIND here! It was GREAT! I spent about 1.5 hours messing around outside with some minor shoveling and sweeping off of stuff then brought 3 wheel borrow loads of firewood into my basement. When the wood is this cold, I point a 20" box fan on low speed to warm up the wood and to keep it from drawing moisture out of my inside air which will cause the wood to get wet if I didn't use the fan. My chainsaw started ok, but my wood splitter did NOT want to 'wake up'. It usually only takes 3-4 pulls to start, but it probably took twice as many pulls to start and once it did, then the hydraulic pump howled for about 2 minutes as it tried to bypass fluid. I let the engine run about 1/2 throttle until the hydraulic pump stopped howling, then I bumped up the engine throttle and split some wood. I'm reminded of a friend who cut timber in the woods for a living once telling me, "When it's below zero, it doesn't even pay to get out of the house. The cold is just too hard on the equipment." His saw, his skidder, his semi-tractor & log trailer, all would fight him when it was this cold. Back when I was working in the oilfield during days with these low temps the semi-tractor brakes would ALWAYS be freezing up.

So, If you can put it off until it warms back up into the teens or 20s, that may be the smart / best thing to do. I KNOW no one wants to have to fix on stuff outside during these low temps......

Ryan
                      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I've been lucky----so far. My semi has cranked every time, even after sitting last weekend. I always let it warm up a good 30 minutes before I leave out, usually if it's going to have a problem, it's in those first 30 minutes. Been lucky with the brakes too, truck has a good air drier, that helps a bunch. Haven't had to run through any wet roads in freezing weather yet, that's when I usually end up with shoes froze to the drums.
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Looks like after tonight/tomorrow the temps. will warm up some for the 12 day forecast here with 50ís by the end of the week. Woo Hoo! I can say that Iím really not looking forward to getting the next electric bill! I worked in the garage today on the 79 for about 6 hours and even though I had heat the concrete floor had my feet cold as heck when I finally threw in the towel and came in the house.
                          69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

It's currently 4* this morning. But, I must have solved where our water was freezing cuz we still have running water as of this morning.
                            Supposed to get up to 60 later this week. I'll have to break my shorts out if it does.
                            Rob Hetzler
                            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

Steve, my brother told me that the Nor'Easter that came up the coast was going to hit Maine with Hurricane Force Winds ..He knew I had a friend in Maine, since I quote you, to him, a lot.
                              Did you or are you getting real high winds up your way ??
                              We've been in the teens during the day. Single digits or negative #'s at night. Very high winds with gusts around 40-45 mph, and a few inches of snow Wednesday night into Thursday.
                              I was outside briefly today (Saturday Jan 6th) and I think that this day is the worst wind chills of the last week ... it is truly WICKED out there today ..!!

EVERYONE PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THIS WEATHER ... IT IS DANGEROUS !!
                              We did have blizzard conditions for a while, which I think they define as snow with wind over 40 mph for three hours or more, but thankfully there was not a lot of power outages, which we were concerned about. The worst damage happened to the ocean side properties which also dealt with a astronomical high tide at the same time. Lots of flooding in those areas and a quick education that ocean front properties are not as desirable as many people think they are.

http://wgme.com/news/local/experts-c...en-in-40-years

Super cold, though. This morning we had -8 temps and winds, my furnace is going full blast and we can only get up to 62-64 in the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X