Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2018 Mustang GT Premium Fastback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update! I've had the GT for about 1 1/2 months now and I am still learning some of the tech stuff. This morning I took it for a run and had the drive mode in "Track" and the exhaust mode in "Sport+". I had not driven the car in Track mode until now, and what a difference. The engine and transmission react much more aggressively than in the lesser modes. WHAT A CAR!!
    Steve - M&M Member #690

1968 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
    2018 Premium GT Fastback Ruby Red

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
    Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Very cool!

Iíve been meaning to ask you how itís been going with the new Pony.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Amazing what all these computers can do now!
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
          Amazing what all these computers can do now!
          And the good part is a lot of that extra stuff (track mode, sport sound, brake line lock) as far as I can tell, have been very reliable and trouble free. Mechanically, we donít see a lot of Mustangs, the worst mechanical issues being clutch failures on the 2.3 Ecoboost cars......and thatís probably more likely due to the drivers, since more ďyounger driversĒ buy those cars (or they get bought FOR them).
          The only other issue Iíve seen personally are the A/C evaporator core failures, which Ford has already acknowledged they have a problem with. There will never be a recall because itís not safety related and the failure is hit or miss. The current SSM may be turned into a TSB, but I think thatís just a numbers thing. I have personally replaced 3 Mustang evaporator cores. That repair is trending upwards according to other Ford techs on our internal website discussion boards, but it seems to be on 2015-2016. Havenít seen any on the 2017-2018.
          M&M Member #91
          Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Probably a run of bad supplier parts on those years, it happens. A few years back, Caterpillar had a run of about an 18 month span of bad crankshafts in truck engines. They wouldn't issue a recall either, but if you forced the issue, they would replace them at a discount rate. I had one in the time span of bad ones and it broke the crank on number 1 rod journal. My company wouldn't force it with Cat, so it didn't get fixed. A friend with another company had one do the same thing, after putting pressure on Cat he got his whole engine rebuilt for labor costs.
            I think a lot of parts failures nowadays are suppliers cutting corners for more profit. It's different than when the companies made all their own parts, quality control sometimes gets skipped over.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              And the good part is a lot of that extra stuff (track mode, sport sound, brake line lock) as far as I can tell, have been very reliable and trouble free.
              Craig,
              Can you briefly explain to a non-electronics geek just how does Ford make the 'sport sound' happen...... do they have electrically-powered baffles that move in/out of the muffler or what?

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Craig,
                Can you briefly explain to a non-electronics geek just how does Ford make the 'sport sound' happen...... do they have electrically-powered baffles that move in/out of the muffler or what?

Ryan
                Hey Ryan, Iíve had little to no practical experience with these options yet on the Mustang, other than raising the vehicle up on a lift and physically seeing the valves before the mufflers that are used to control the different sounds.

Your question did intrigue me though to see if I could find something online that shows whatís going on and found this great YouTube video that does a great job showing what actually happens inside the ACTIVE exhaust when changing the exhaust modes:

https://youtu.be/MmFxQt-_63E
                M&M Member #91
                US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

How cool is that! Thanks Craig!!
                  Steve - M&M Member #690

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
                  Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Hey Craig,
                    I never thought of looking on YouTube,,,,,and I should know better,,, because I know there is a boat load of stuff on YouTube!
                    NEVERTHELESS - thanks for doing the search and bringing it back to us!
                    So - apparently there is a butterfly valve after the resonator in one of the dual tailpipe tips, would that be correct?

Here is another cool Youtube on the dash features of the 2018 GT Mustang....! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XZj9QVOwSg

Ryan
                    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Factory line lock, pure bad a$$. Great time to be a car guy. Does your Stang have launch control?
                      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                        Factory line lock, pure bad a$$. Great time to be a car guy. Does your Stang have launch control?
                        I don't think so. Isn't that a manual trans thing? Mine has the 10 speed automatic.
                        Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post

I don't think so. Isn't that a manual trans thing? Mine has the 10 speed automatic.
                          Steve, you need to snoop around a little more with your track app options. Your car should be equipped with the line lock Trick.....unless thereís something different with the Mustangs sent north of the border. According to Ford, Line lock is an option on all 2018 Mustangs, manual and automatic.
                          https://youtu.be/WktM8DiyHVA
                          M&M Member #91

Comment

Steve, you need to snoop around a little more with your track app options. Your car should be equipped with the line lock Trick.....unless thereís something different with the Mustangs sent north of the border. According to Ford, Line lock is an option on all 2018 Mustangs, manual and automatic.
                            https://youtu.be/WktM8DiyHVA
                            Oh it has line lock all right. I thought that there was another feature called launch control though.
                            Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post

Oh it has line lock all right. I thought that there was another feature called launch control though.
                              I think itís the same thing.

M&M Member #91

Comment

I think itís the same thing.
                                Probably.
                                Steve - M&M Member #690

Comment

Working...
                                X