Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another reason I dislike winter !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another reason I dislike winter !

the state of PA sprays a brine solution on the roads before a storm & this stuff is nasty as it rusts everything.

1st I want everyone to know I bought this truck new in 04 & immediately had it undercoated.

this past Monday the brake pedal seemed a bit soft & each time I drove the truck I thought it was getting worse. yesterday I had time to
    bring it into the garage,looked over the front wheels and didnt see anything unusual. I then checked the rear wheels.
    I noticed there was a perfect hole in the left rear wheel backing plate so I pulled that wheel, what was left of the brake shoe retaining pin,
    spring & retainer was laying in the bottom of the brake shoes ! the head of the pin had rusted away !!!!!!
    I walked the 3 blocks to the local parts house & got lucky to get the last parts kit that was in stock. installed the new parts & the brakes are back
    to normal.

also last year the rear leaf spring hangers had to be replaced on my Ranger as they were that rotted out. while I was looking
    around underneath my truck I realized the shocks were rusting away & just about all the undercoating was gone

this really ticks me off as I have been very pleased with how this truck has served me & now know it is just rusting away.
    there is a service offered call flush & oil where the undercarriage is washed and a preventive oil film sprayed on that I would like
    to have done each fall , however this isnt offered in the local area. I was hoping to keep this truck for some years but I am afraid the rust
    is going to kill that plan. grrrrrrrr
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

I thought the salt we use was bad. Sounds like that brine is sponsored by car companies and parts stores
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Just started using the brine stuff here a few years ago. As a mechanic, I see what happens to cars exposed to our salty winters. Not pretty, especially the cars that you know customers try to take care of.
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

The cheap Chinese metal the manufacturers have been using doesn’t help, either.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

blue34, NJ uses the brine solution before snow storms & then salts the roads during the storms so we get a double whammy. Since I purchased my 2000 Ranger in 10/2013 I have replaced both rear spring shackles & hangers, which is a common problem on Rangers, & the metal brake line that goes to the rubber hose that goes to the raer brakes, both of the front dust shields have rusted away, & I have a couple small holes in the floor of the bed which I am going to repair once it warms up.

Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

this really bites my butt because I run it through a car wash that at least rinses the undercarriage a few days after any snow storm. I cannot get over
            how much of the undercoating is gone & what is noticeably RUSTED
            34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

I feel for you guys that live in snow country. AL has started to use brine and salt a little on the interstates now, we don't get as much snow as ya'll do, so we won't have problems with rust as quick, but it's coming. I go to TN all the time, and they use that stuff all the time. I try to keep my truck and trailer washed off as much as I can, but that stuff they use now gets into the cracks and crevices and it's just about impossible to get off. I have seen it cause the linings to actually break and come off of brake shoes due to the rust between the metal shoe and the lining! And if you have a small break in your wiring insulation, it only takes a pinhole, it will wick in and destroy a foot of wire. You can tell where it's at, the wire will start to swell up like it's been burned. Nasty stuff!
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

the brine/salt spray that is used is really nasty. my 1 hot rod buddy owns/operates a truck service garage & they have a fleet contract for
                an armored car company for this area. last year he had to tell them their trucks needed significant repairs or new trucks as the floors (and a lot of other items)
                were so rotted it was felt the heavy money bags would fall through them............

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
                  this really bites my butt because I run it through a car wash that at least rinses the undercarriage a few days after any snow storm. I cannot get over
                  how much of the undercoating is gone & what is noticeably RUSTED
                  Just my personal, semi professional opinion, but I really don’t think those undercoating packages the dealers offer increase rust protection.
                  Over the past 20+ years, ALL domestic car makers dip the car bodies in a rust prohibitive liquid.
                  I believe the rust protection is as good as it’s gonna get, right out of the gate. Whatever protection package the dealer offers is just “fluff”.
                  I may be wrong, but I personally see the undercoating packages that go on in the dealership. I wouldn’t pay for it.

M&M Member #91
                  Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                  US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I remember cutting a rusty GM car up for scrap metal, it had stickers on it that said Ziebart coating or something like that. Inside it looked like roofing tar had been sprayed on it in a hot, liquid form, coating the steel. Outside, the steel had rusted away in places, leaving the tar in sheets holding the rusted steel together in spots. I always thought maybe they should have sprayed it on the outside the car instead of inside, you know, where the salt spray actually hit it!
                    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

the undercoating deal was an aftermarket guy that also did the spray in bed liner. if the undercoating had held up as good as the bed liner I wouldnt be
                      complaining a bit !

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
                        the undercoating deal was an aftermarket guy that also did the spray in bed liner. if the undercoating had held up as good as the bed liner I wouldnt be complaining a bit !
                        ...until you have to work on it. THEN, the undercoating is a _ITCH!
                        Sockets do not fit on bolt heads, because of the extra coating on them.

Ryan

P.S.
                        Here are some interesting posts on the subject: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/219501-...-rustproofing/

#1 in N.A: https://www.krown.com/en/
                        Last edited by Ryan Wilke; 04-10-2018, 09:56 PM.
                        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

When I started working at a Buick dealership spraying Rusty Jones undercoating was one of my first jobs. Man, did that suck because no matter how good you thought you had yourself covered up it still went EVERYWHERE and would stay on your body for a long time. I was so happy when they hired someone else and I no longer was the FNG!
                          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                          My Sprint's restoration progress
                          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

[QUOTE=Ryan Wilke;n497666]

...until you have to work on it. THEN, the undercoating is a _ITCH!
                            Sockets do not fit on bolt heads, because of the extra coating on them.

Ryan

I believe the lesser of the 2 evils would be to have the undercoating so you can hold onto the vehicle longer.

Keith

Comment

I don't like the ZEIBART stuff,,,years ago lots of folks paid for it. I didn't see where it caused vehicles to "live longer"; and in the meantime, they were a PIA to work on. Once I even wire-brushed then painted the underside of a pickup with a brush, but by the next Spring, it didn't seem to extend the life of anything. I tried the UNDERCOATING in a can, POR15, etc. all seemed costly and didn't seem worth it.

So what do I do now?
                              I buy a few gallons of diesel fuel, then fill a garden-chemical-quality, quart-size, hand spray bottle. I jack up one end of each of my vehicles, slide under and start spraying the undercarriage, then do the same for the other end. I want all of the surfaces dampened, but not dripping. I am careful not to spray fuel oil directly on the disc brake rotors or exhaust system. I make sure I spray some oil along each of the floorboard seams, along the rocker panels, wheelwells, suspension shackles, leaf / coil springs, along the bottom of the tailgate/trunk lid & doors, up inside the front of the hood, along the brake, fuel & electrical lines, any electrical grounds bolted to a frame/body panel, etc. I also spray under the hood, behind the grill, where ever I think rain or snow will go. Sure I still get a few drips, but if it drips off, that means I just sprayed too much in that area - and it isn't helping anything once it drips off. I want it to soak into these areas - not run off. I used to spray a mixture of used motor oil and fuel oil, but I found the mixture didn't soak into the seams like I wanted it to.

The last couple of used vehicles I have purchased, it has taken a few applications, once a week for a few weeks, before the rust flakes flake off and the surfaces look more smooth and dampened. Once it looks dampened, then I leave it alone. Sure, there is a fuel oil odor for a few days. My wife's Fusion is parked inside a garage and it smells up the garage for a few days, then it's gone - it's not a big deal. If you notice more than a handful of drips, better not park it on the grass for the first 24hrs...as the drips will kill the grass. After 3-4 days, the odor will dissipate, and all will be well.

Yes, it will wash off, and depending on how many miles or how fast you drive on rain or snow covered roads will determine how long it will last. I usually try to re-spray the undercarriage everytime I get a chance to be under the vehicle. Wear an old long sleeve shirt when you do it, then leave the shirt outside for a day or two before you wash it. Try not to do any spraying during a windy day or it'll all be in your face.

I've been following this practice for many years. When I sold my '94 Ford Ranger with 307K miles, it was rusty above the wheelwells, but it still had it's original rear leaf shackles and they were fine. The Summer before, when I needed to drop the fuel tank, I gave the area/attachment points a good spray treatment a week before and the job went much easier. For less than $20 worth of fuel oil per vehicle per year, it's worth it to me. Lastly, I guarantee you will notice less squeaks! The only things that I do not do the oil spray treatment to are my lawnmower or my racecar, because I don't drive them in the rain or snow... Just my 2 cents worth.....

Ryan
                              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X