Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The approaching end of my Sony Bravia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The approaching end of my Sony Bravia?

Lately, when I fire up my eight year old 42 incher, the tv is not responsive to commands from my remote, even though the led on the set blinks, indicating it is receiving the signal. This also happens when I try another remote to it. Once it seems to warm up after about ten minutes, everything works fine. I may have to be shopping for a new one soon, which sucks because this thing is only eight years old, and I think I spent almost $700 for it. Does anybody actually even fix televisions anymore?

Meanwhile I have three or four old style televisions over twenty years old that aren’t even worth pennies, but work perfectly. Isn’t progress a wonderful thing?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Yep, it's fantastic.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

The main purpose behind the designs of "Consumer Products" is to induce us to "Consume" more and more often as we go! It's what "experts" feel keeps the economy humming and helps put the wages that employers pay, back into the pockets of said employers. I'm not claiming this to be good or bad, but simply observing that it's the way it is! It is however, annoying to need to spend $$$ to replace something that seems as though it should have lasted longer!

FWIW, the automakers started engineering, advancing and perfecting this whole "Planned Obsolescence" concept in the middle to late '50s. It is kinda frustrating that the savings from such measures did not translate to savings for the consumer, but instead to higher profit margins for the manufacturers, retailers and especially investors, etc.

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less?
      Gene
      To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
      '68 coupe/5.0/T5
      '69 F250
      '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
      '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Did you try software upgrade?
        Just bite the bullet and treat yourself. After I remodeled the downstairs I had a huge empty wall with nothing on it, wife said "what do you think about a big tv?" GREEN LIGHT!
        I went down and got a 75" ultra 4K, got it for about $2K, picture is amazing, everything works great (for at least this year), no need to go to the movie theatre now. If you get a big one make sure you get 240 motion rate, they're currently selling off the 120 motion rates for cheap now but the bigger screens tend to stall when there is a lot of movement on the screen at the lower motion rate.

You know it's a big tv when you've gotta go home and grab the F-150 to pick it up and it fills the bed like a sheet of plywood!
        Ron

Comment

It's funny, I only have one flat screen, not even sure how big it is, we won it at a grand opening of an Aaron's store. Got two 27" tube style TV's that still work great, one we never use, the other stays on most of the time. As long as they work, I'm not buying one. I seldom watch any of them. Wife and Grandson think they have to be on if they're in the room.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

You know what really sucks, when you "upgrade" an item and the more expensive, "better" item doesnt last as long as the part it replaced. Take the tires on KK's Escape. October of 2016 it needed new tires. We got about 45K out of the factory tires and they were wore out. I decided I was gonna put "good" tires on it and bought Michelins. KK went in for heel surgery January of 2017, and her car basically sat undriven for 3 months. We dropped the car of this morning to get the oil changed, tires rotated, and check for a vibration. The shop called back and said two of the tires are about shot. Seriously? I bet they dont have 15K miles on them. How the hell can they already be wore out? I know this, that will be the LAST set of over priced Michelins that ever gets put on her car.
            Rob Hetzler
            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I’m probably jinxing myself, but my tv has behaved ever since I made this post crabbing about it. I hope it was just a fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                Lately, when I fire up my eight year old 42 incher, the tv is not responsive to commands from my remote, even though the led on the set blinks, indicating it is receiving the signal. This also happens when I try another remote to it. Once it seems to warm up after about ten minutes, everything works fine. I may have to be shopping for a new one soon, which sucks because this thing is only eight years old, and I think I spent almost $700 for it. Does anybody actually even fix televisions anymore?

Meanwhile I have three or four old style televisions over twenty years old that aren’t even worth pennies, but work perfectly. Isn’t progress a wonderful thing?
                Call Joe Leblond. He has a shop behind VIP in the Biddo.
                Some assembly required.

Comment

Originally posted by MLariviere View Post

Call Joe Leblond. He has a shop behind VIP in the Biddo.
                  That’s right. If the problem returns, I’ll give him a call.

Comment

Working...
                  X