Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Taurus.....Bye Bye again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Taurus.....Bye Bye again?

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/...hank-suvs.html
    Weíve been predicting this in the shop for a couple of years now due to the fact Ford has really done nothing other than a few appearance updates to the Taurus over the past 8 years.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Wasn't the "re-introduced" Taurus simply a cosmetically updated version of the somewhat failed "FORD 500" anyway?
    Just Curious Here?
    Gene
    To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
    '68 coupe/5.0/T5
    '69 F250
    '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
    '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by horseballz View Post
      Wasn't the "re-introduced" Taurus simply a cosmetically updated version of the somewhat failed "FORD 500" anyway?
      Just Curious Here?
      Gene
      I think the 500 was the updated Taurus, then they went back to the Taurus name when they updated it again. From what I was reading yesterday, the Fiesta may be getting the boot, too. Ford is moving toward only making pickups and SUV's according to the article I read. Small cars are not selling well. Most of the Taurus I see are police cars, I guess the Explorer will be Ford's only vehicle in the law enforcement market now.

Oh, the 500 was a POS. My Mom bought one brand new, never could get it to quit leaking water in. Numerous trips to the dealer never fixed it. She traded it in on an Escape SUV, the last year before they started making them look like grasshoppers.
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

I think the 500 was the updated Taurus, then they went back to the Taurus name when they updated it again. From what I was reading yesterday, the Fiesta may be getting the boot, too. Ford is moving toward only making pickups and SUV's according to the article I read. Small cars are not selling well. Most of the Taurus I see are police cars, I guess the Explorer will be Ford's only vehicle in the law enforcement market now.

Oh, the 500 was a POS. My Mom bought one brand new, never could get it to quit leaking water in. Numerous trips to the dealer never fixed it. She traded it in on an Escape SUV, the last year before they started making them look like grasshoppers.
        Yeah, that 500 was a real POS, especially the AWD one that shared the Volvo AWD components. Talk about a ridiculously expensive system to repair, and you arenít the first one to complain about water intrusion into one.
        I had an older 500 into me for a HUGE water leak into the rear floorboards. I mean, the water was up to the rear seat. Since it was an older car, really wasnít due to the car. The front sunroof drain tubes were plugged up with dirt, debris, etc causing the water to fill the floorboards. Big mess.
        M&M Member #91
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Sunroof drain tubes clogging have been a problem since there were factory sunroofs.
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Yeah, my brother had one of those AWD monstrosities/abominations called the 500. Was a great car in many ways, but randomly and under certain conditions (never really nailed down "what" those certain conditions were) it would decide to seemingly drop into low(er) gear at cruising speeds and then either eventually correct itself, or not! At face value, it seemed fantastic in winter driving, all except when it would decide to downshift and potentially send you skidding into a spin! Yepper, a true POS and certainly NOT one of Ford's better ideas and/or moments! Oh well, not everything and everyone can be perfect all the time, except me of course!

Just Sayin'
            Gene
            To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
            '68 coupe/5.0/T5
            '69 F250
            '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
            '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
              Sunroof drain tubes clogging have been a problem since there were factory sunroofs.
              Thatís a fact, but the ONLY car I have ever seen one fill up so high it reached the bottom of the rear seat, was on a 500.
              Got a kick out of the fact that the customer even let it go that long....lol!! Didnít just happen during one rain storm.
              M&M Member #91

Comment

Mom's leaked in the front floors. No sunroof, they changed windshields​ a couple of times, sealed the firewall, nothing worked. Just before the warranty went out she got rid of it.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

The only new style Taurus I've seen on the roads around here where all cop cars. Easy to see why they pulled the cord.
                  1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                  347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                  363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                  244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                    Easy to see why they pulled the cord.
                    Itís not official yet, but the writing is on the wall. The article says Ford sold 40k last year, most of them going to police depts. My new car manager just told me we have 4 Taurusí on our lot right now, and we are a LARGE dealership with over 500 new units in our current inventory.
                    Most of our stock is F series, SUVís, Fusions, Focus.
                    BTW, can see our Mustang row from the service dept. We have 6, one being a Shelby. Not sure what thatís about either.
                    M&M Member #91

Comment

I suppose begin the Mustang competes in a pretty niche market, they don't want to keep a large quantity on hand. Wonder how many Mustangs are custom ordered vs off the lot sales? How does that compare to mainstream cars?
                      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I cannot get my wife to even look at the Taurus and she canít even explain why, sheís stuck on either the Fusion or the Escape, although I may be able to swing her towards an Edge. Our sister in law has an Edge and it seems to have been a very good car. She has been saying she might want to buy a new one this summer.
                        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                        My Sprint's restoration progress
                        ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                          although I may be able to swing her towards an Edge. Our sister in law has an Edge and it seems to have been a very good car. She has been saying she might want to buy a new one this summer.
                          I have a 2015 Edge....one of the best all around vehicles I think Ford has produced in years, the 2015 - current body style.
                          I was never a big fan of the 2008-2014 "boxy" looking Edge. The 2015 and newer body style is a total hit, nothing bad I can say about it!

And if you REALLY want a kick in the pants, drive an Edge SPORT....or Fusion SPORT. The SPORT versions are pretty pricey, but you gotta at least drive them to experience that giddy grin on your face feelig.!!!!!

If you test drive a Fusion or Edge SPORT, I'll bet you $20 either one gives you that giddy feeling in the pit of your stomach!! They are SOOOO quick, nimble, and just a blast to drive.
                          M&M Member #91

Comment

Personally, I like the Flex over the Edge. Little gangster looking sporty wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                              Personally, I like the Flex over the Edge. Little gangster looking sporty wagon.
                              The Flex has, what I believe, to be the absolute MOST COMFORTABLE seats of any vehicle Ford produces today.
                              M&M Member #91

Comment

Working...
                              X