Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion vs Escape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion vs Escape

My wife told me she thinks this might be the year we replace the 15 year old Sable and she thinks she wants either a Fusion or an Escape. She can’t decide which and wants to drive each and see how she feels in them. I wanted her to include the Taurus but no dice, she thinks they are too big (?) and too expensive. I might try to sway her to look at an Edge, but I think she will feel it’s too expensive as well. I can’t get her to consider a used car, it’s my own fault, when we first met she had never owned a new car while I preferred new cars and I told her buying a used car was like buying someone else’s used shoes, and she has remembered that ever since. We’ve totally switched, these days I probably would never buy a new vehicle because of the loss of value the second you buy it, but as she said, she’s spoiled and doesn’t want someone else’s leftover and she doesn’t mind keeping them for 15 years or more as long as they look and drive fine. Her Sable still looks like a new one even though it’s closing on 150,000 miles. She just think the age and miles are getting into the range when major problems will begin to crop up. Those stupid bogus ‘price estimates’ she gets when she gets her oil changed at the Ford dealer sure doesn’t help, even with me showing her how ridiculous they are.

My number one concern for her car is that it’s safe. She drives to work about fifty miles a day on a highway and I want something safe. I’m not sure what is safer, the Fusion or the Escape, which is bigger but has a higher center of gravity and higher risk of rollover, which you see a lot of in the winter around here.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

I'm not a FWD guy but I drove a Fusion for a couple weeks while my truck was in for body work (caused by the d@mn dealership)
    Was very impressed with the ride quality and decent power. Can't help you with the Escape, never been in one. To small for my liking.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Steve,
      I would check the used car lots and see what is available.
      We found our 2014 Edge that way. Only had 5,146 miles on it and cost a lot less than a new one.
      A friend of ours has a new Escape and she loves it. She hasn't had any issues with it either.
      Both our great and have room to load things in.
      Dave & Terri
      M&M#166 MCA#47921
      '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
      '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy
      '65 Mustang Coupe, 302, 3 speed~Tinker
      '11 Edge~Kona Blue, V-6, 6 speed
      "What do you mean pay attention! I can't afford to pay attention."

Comment

The Fusion being a 4 door sedan, the Escape the SUV. If getting around in those Maine winters easily is becoming a concern, you would obviously want the AWD Escape as the Fusion is only FWD....(unless you opt for the high money Titanium or the Fusion Sport, both of those are AWD, but AWD for another reason....speed and torque ).

Of course, the Sable, being FWD, if she’s been getting around just fine with that for all these years, I would personally sway that way.

There are three kinds of people, especially at OUR age. Car people, truck people, and SUV people. Me personally, I’ll never drive an SUV for my DAILY driver, although my GF/Fiancée drives the Edge, but thats because she’s been driving them for years (with her kids and all). My ex wife and I, thru 2 kids, never owned an SUV type vehicle.

Both vehicles (Escape and Fusion) are available with the same power plants, 1.5, 2.0 (turbocharged engines) and 2.5. The Fusion Sport has the 2.7, but I’m guessing you’re not going to be in that market (big price difference for all the extra go fast stuff that I’m assuming your wife probably won’t be interested in).

My daughter has a 2015 Fusion with the older 1.6 Ecoboost (exactly same as the 1.5), and my ex wife has a 2015 with the newer 1.5 Ecoboost. For them, because they do a lot of city driving, the 1.5/1.6 is more than adequate for them. They both brag about getting close to 30 mpg in the city. If I was doing more hiway driving I’d want the 2.0 Ecoboost. The 2.5 is normally aspirated for the folks who just don’t want that turbo. The 2.0 Ecoboost has the most horsepower (not counting the 2.7 Sport).

For the the sake of argument, Ford really has the turbo thing figured out. Engine longevity has been proven over the years and as long as you keep up with the BASIC maintenance, you’ll get 100k+ miles of rather trouble free driving from any of the power plants.

Your best bet? Drive them ALL and make them let you take them home over a weekend. A salesman worth his salt should be able to let you take one home. That’s how our guys roll with customers who they know are serious about buying new cars. And as far as warranties, anymore, price them out and get one. There is soooo much high dollar electronic stuff in ALL cars today, getting a fair priced ESP warranty will more than likely pay for itself.

(BTW, let me know if interested, if you don’t have an eligible A or D /employee plan PIN number, I “MAY” be able to hook you up with one, but I’d have to ask, and when you get to that point, you’d have to ask your guy also if you can use someone else’s pin. I get TWO D plan pins a year that I can give out to family, but I’ve heard of people using them for whoever. I’m not looking to buy anything this year.)
        M&M Member #91
        Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
        US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

another option,
          if you have a regular dealer & salesman, have him look for a car/suv that came in from a lease where he knows the people take good
          care of their cars.
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

We've been buying SUVs for years now, no way we'd step back down to a car. Even the small ones are more roomy than a car. I'd suggest the Flex or the Explorer. Still mid sized and get decent mileage.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

If it was my car, I’d buy a used car, hands down. For my wife, there’s ZERO chance of her considering one. Trust me, I’ve talked myself blue and given endless reasons, that’s a no-sale. If I was a betting man, I’d say we’ll be getting a FWD Fusion, even though I hate Henco en Mexico products. The only reason we were considering the Escape is because it’s built in the US. I tried to sell her on the idea of a V6 Mustang, but she’s terrified of driving a RWD car in Maine winters, and she’s driven FWD cars for so long it’s probably for the better that she stays with vehicle dynamics she’s used to.

A ESP plan is not even a question, given all the useless garbage they stick on cars these days. I also want as little electronics as possible. One time a sales rep started touting a technology package on a Fusion we were looking at, and I told him to me that was a reason not to buy it, in my book.

...and thanks Craig, for the offer to use your employee discount, we might take you up on that.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

A ESP plan is not even a question, given all the useless garbage they stick on cars these days. I also want as little electronics as possible. One time a sales rep started touting a technology package on a Fusion we were looking at, and I told him to me that was a reason not to buy it, in my book.

...and thanks Craig, for the offer to use your employee discount, we might take you up on that.
                Regarding extended warranties, and I know you know this, but next to furniture and jewelry........extended warranties are probably one of the most marked up items on the market, so make sure your finance guy knows that YOU know the "routine"......lol!

I'm obviously a tad bit biased because I work for a dealership, but Ford ESP's are the easiest and best in my opinion, just because you know everything is Ford and will be handled, rental cars on sight (well, at the larger dealerships), but you do pay a little extra for that convenience.
                My ex wife bought her 2015 Fusion a few months ago (at another Ford dealership, but one I used to work at), and because of her driving style, she ended up going with an extended warranty company called MBPI, which I can tell you is also a very good company. For less money than the Ford ESP, she got more miles/time out of the warranty.....but based on my knowledge of aftermarket warranties, MBPI is one of the better ones. During my 3 year stint as an automotive claims adjuster for Zurich (which I believe is the BEST aftermarket warranty out there, (they've been around since 1984), MBPI is a close second.....next to the Ford ESPs of course.
                Any other questions about warranties, etc, just shoot. I deal with this stuff EVERYDAY. I'm actually working on a 2013 F150 with 66,000 miles on it. It has a driver seat heated seat issue. The cushion was crushed due to normal wear and tear. The cushion isn't a covered item, but because one part of the heated seat that was affected IS covered, we got the entire $750 repair covered for the customer for $100 deductible.

I'm obviously just reiterating what you already know. Heated (and cooled) seats, touchscreens, sync, accessory protocol interface modules, new style A/C (R1234), back up cameras, tire pressure monitors, etc etc etc. You're going to find a lot of that stuff as standard equipment now a days.
                Our back up cameras alone are $500-$600, and they are now standard on everything but Fiesta. In the past, when cars were simpler, I never was a "warranty guy". Cars have 50-100 different modules run on low, medium, and high speed data networks. The more options, the more modules, the more stuff that can break. It's enough to give a person a headache.

M&M Member #91
                US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I agree, just one repair can make you curse yourself for your stupidity at not buying a ESP. Like you said, back in the day when a problem like a choke thermostat cost you $8 things were much more debatable, but now when even your heater is turned on with a touchscreen, it’s just foolish to gamble.

I think I prefer buying the ESP from Ford because they’re backed by a 115 year old company, other companies don’t make me feel as confident.

Comment

Looking at Fusions online, it looks like we’re stuck with that stop/start BS, huh? I was just getting used to the Maytag transmission control.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                      Looking at Fusions online, it looks like we’re stuck with that stop/start BS, huh? I was just getting used to the Maytag transmission control.
                      I’m not sure if the start/stop function is an option or is standard on all Fusions, but you can disable it with he push of a button.
                      Its kind of a fun conversation piece when riding with someone who asks “did your car just shut off on its own?” at the traffic light.
                      When I’m road testing a car that has that option, after a repair, I always turn it off at the first stop light.
                      Never bothered to dig into the vehicle functions option on the instrument cluster to see if the driver can turn it off permanently.

M&M Member #91

Comment

We love our Edge. We would buy another one, too. It gets 23-26 mpg with AWD. They do make them with FWD if you want to save a little. You sit a little higher so visibility is better, especially in the winter over snow banks. We get about 50k on a set of tires. I think I would want another V6. It has been very reliable. Our 2011 has almost 110k. They are worth the money IMHO.
                        Some assembly required.

Comment

Buddy of mine had a GM pickup with that start stop crap. Went through 3 starters under warranty in 2 years. He got rid of it and got one that didn't have that on it.
                          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

If your not stuck on the blue ovals which I figure you are. Lol. My Wife DD is a Honda AWD CRV that we bought new in 2015. TBH it’s been trouble free and has served us well. She works local to home n just turned over 40k miles with no issues. When we go on a small trip it’s the go to vehicle. I love driving it and have no regrets buying it.
                            79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

KK's 2014 Escape has been trouble free, and currently has about 54K miles on it. It feels a lot bigger than it really is when you are sitting in it. It has plenty of storage space, although I do find the leg room in the driver's seat a little lacking for me. KK has looked at a new one a couple of times, not because her's has anything wrong with it, but just because it would be a new one with more bells and whistles.
                              Rob Hetzler
                              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                              X