Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion vs Escape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pam threw me a curve last night by saying she’s leaning towards the Escape, so I guess I’ll just see what she thinks when we take a closer look.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

KK's has the 2.0 liter engine, and it runs pretty good. It has decent power, and gets around 28-29 mpg on long trips. I think it normally averages around 24 with her normal driving.
      I've honestly been racking my brain trying to think of anything that has gone wrong with it, but the only thing I can think of is the 3rd brake light burned out, and being a one piece unit was a little pricey to replace.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

If it means anything my wife Robin & I have a 2008 Escape that we have had since early 2011. We purchased it used with about 45K on the clock & it now has about 105K. It was originally purchased for Robin to use as her DD & has been very reliable, we have replaced the front brakes, tires, exhaust, blower resistor, battery, rear hatch glas hinges, & the steering shaft u joint from what I read on the Escape forum was a common issue on the 08's. It is starting to show some rust over the rear wheels, but with its age & where it has lived (western NY state & NJ) with all the salt both states use on the roads it looks pretty good for its age. The Escape has more of a car like ride then say an older Explorer which is on a full frame & sits up higher where the Escape is a uni-body construction. Just my .02¢. Robin also likes that the Explorer has more foot room then the Escape.
        Last edited by Mike65; 04-14-2018, 06:22 AM.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
          I’m not sure if the start/stop function is an option or is standard on all Fusions, but you can disable it with he push of a button.
          Its kind of a fun conversation piece when riding with someone who asks “did your car just shut off on its own?” at the traffic light.
          When I’m road testing a car that has that option, after a repair, I always turn it off at the first stop light.
          Never bothered to dig into the vehicle functions option on the instrument cluster to see if the driver can turn it off permanently.

I have a 2017 Escape Titanium with the 1.5 ecoboost, plenty of power to get on the freeway. The auto start stop is an irritant, there is no permanent disable setting, you can turn it off when you start the vehicle but it resets every time you stop and restart the vehicle. Us gearheads know the more you use something mechanical the quicker it wears out and in my opinion the gas savings I'm getting doesn't outweigh the price of a new starter.

There is a video on youtube on how to disarm it but you must pull the dash panel off, pull the switch then use a small jumper to trick it into thinking it's permanently disarmed, but then you don't have the option of using it when you actually need it. The only time I use it is when I'm at a light that I know is very long or some kind of massive traffic jam.

One thing I can't get used to with the newer vehicles is they make all kinds of weird sounds sometimes like gurgling. Even when the vehicle is off you can hear something resetting like the heater core or a/c or something like that, I have no idea what the vehicle needs to do once it's turned off.

Steve, one thing I would recommend is getting the remote start, that comes in real handy in cold climates. I think you can add it on if the vehicle package doesn't come with it.
          Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ci8UUP View Post

I have a 2017 Escape Titanium with the 1.5 ecoboost, plenty of power to get on the freeway. The auto start stop is an irritant, there is no permanent disable setting, you can turn it off when you start the vehicle but it resets every time you stop and restart the vehicle. Us gearheads know the more you use something mechanical the quicker it wears out and in my opinion the gas savings I'm getting doesn't outweigh the price of a new starter.

There is a video on youtube on how to disarm it but you must pull the dash panel off, pull the switch then use a small jumper to trick it into thinking it's permanently disarmed, but then you don't have the option of using it when you actually need it. The only time I use it is when I'm at a light that I know is very long or some kind of massive traffic jam.

One thing I can't get used to with the newer vehicles is they make all kinds of weird sounds sometimes like gurgling. Even when the vehicle is off you can hear something resetting like the heater core or a/c or something like that, I have no idea what the vehicle needs to do once it's turned off.

Steve, one thing I would recommend is getting the remote start, that comes in real handy in cold climates. I think you can add it on if the vehicle package doesn't come with it.
            Yea, I personally think it’s a silly option, might be good for places like LA, New York City or other high traffic areas, but we ought to be able to order a car without it, or at least have the ability to disable it permanently thru the instrument cluster menu. Ford isn’t the only manufacturer doing it.
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

My guess is why you can't disable it is because it plays into the EPA fuel mileage estimates/mandates.
              Ron

Comment

My guess is why you can't disable it is because it plays into the EPA fuel mileage estimates/mandates.
                Plus it will be great for starter and labor sales.

Other features I hate include the gas cap less filler. I hate all unnecessarily and stupid things like that. Apparently we weren’t getting enough dirt and water in our fuel so we need extra mechanisms to allow more contaminants into our fuel systems. Getting another.005 mpg and getting $1000 starter replacement costs (because how much do you want to bet you have to take half the car apart to change one?) is a fair trade off to fools and corporate beancounters.

From my perspective there are just as many reasons to not buy new cars as there are to waste money on them.

Comment

Damn, I think you nailed it!! Never even thought about that!
                  I’ll bet that “option” was a cheap and easy way for automakers to get below the EPA’s CAFE #’s.

M&M Member #91
                  US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

Plus it will be great for starter and labor sales.
                    A little future job security for me perhaps?......
                    Although this start/stop business is still in its infancy, I have yet to have replaced any starters (or have even heard or read about any stat/stop related starter replacements).

I’ll bet the starters have been redesigned somehow. Once you experience the start/stop thing, you’ll see how easily and quickly they spin up to start the cars.
                    They sound NOTHING like the starters of yesteryear.
                    M&M Member #91

Comment

It all leads to the fact that they want everyone to acquire cars on three year leases and keep the turnover rate high at maximum profits.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                        It all leads to the fact that they want everyone to acquire cars on three year leases and keep the turnover rate high at maximum profits.
                        That is something I will never do is continually lease vehicles. I leased one (1996 Ranger 4x4) but I purchased it after the lease was up.
                        Mike & Robin Grentus
                        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                        M&M Member #- 890
                        MCA #- 4549
                        My 69 Coupe build album
                        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Well, we bought a Lightning Blue 2018 Edge yesterday.

Comment

Cool!
                            Rob Hetzler
                            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen!
                              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Thread is useless without pics!
                                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Working...
                                X