Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion vs Escape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re taking delivery on Monday, I’ll have pictures shortly after. It’s the 3.5L V6, AWD.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
      Well, we bought a Lightning Blue 2018 Edge yesterday.
      Thats awesome! You’re going to love the Edge! It’s the perfect size (between the Escape and Explorer), IMHO, is the best looking SUV that Ford is currently producing, is really rather problem free (this body style has been out since the 2015 model year so it’s been ironed out), AND, I own a 2015 as well, which now has 50k trouble free miles on it!..

Which engine/trim package did you end up with? Ours is the Titanium trim package with the 2.0 Ecoboost.
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

We just got the SEL, 3.5L AWD. You can tell where my head is at, this is the only picture I have of the car so far.

523F2814-C51E-4729-9B8B-32C694B10214.jpeg

Comment

We just got the SEL, 3.5L AWD. You can tell where my head is at, this is the only picture I have of the car so far.

523F2814-C51E-4729-9B8B-32C694B10214.jpeg
          Lol....I had a feeling you got a V6! Well proven power plant!!
          M&M Member #91
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I was kinda cool on the Edge when they first came out, but they have grown on me, especially with the grill change.
            That underhood shot looks like 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag! Looks pretty crowded under there, glad I don't have to work on it!
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

My wife told me she thinks this might be the year we replace the 15 year old Sable and she thinks she wants either a Fusion or an Escape. She can’t decide which and wants to drive each and see how she feels in them. I wanted her to include the Taurus but no dice, she thinks they are too big (?) and too expensive. I might try to sway her to look at an Edge, but I think she will feel it’s too expensive as well. I can’t get her to consider a used car, it’s my own fault, when we first met she had never owned a new car while I preferred new cars and I told her buying a used car was like buying someone else’s used shoes, and she has remembered that ever since. We’ve totally switched, these days I probably would never buy a new vehicle because of the loss of value the second you buy it, but as she said, she’s spoiled and doesn’t want someone else’s leftover and she doesn’t mind keeping them for 15 years or more as long as they look and drive fine. Her Sable still looks like a new one even though it’s closing on 150,000 miles. She just think the age and miles are getting into the range when major problems will begin to crop up. Those stupid bogus ‘price estimates’ she gets when she gets her oil changed at the Ford dealer sure doesn’t help, even with me showing her how ridiculous they are.

My number one concern for her car is that it’s safe. She drives to work about fifty miles a day on a highway and I want something safe. I’m not sure what is safer, the Fusion or the Escape, which is bigger but has a higher center of gravity and higher risk of rollover, which you see a lot of in the winter around here.
              steve, my advice here would be to go down and rent one of each for a week, and let her drive the car and see how she likes them. do them in back to back weeks so she has a proper base for comparison. since she is the one that is going to be driving this car, she is the one that needs to put some miles on and see if it works for her.

as for the risk of rollover, that is not as much a risk as it is made out to be. it sounds like your wife has a good head on her shoulders, and understand vehicle dynamics somewhat, and likely will have no issues with the escape.

but she needs to feel the difference between the cars and make up her own mind.
              64 falcon
              66 mustang
              76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
              and life is but an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by rbohm View Post

steve, my advice here would be to go down and rent one of each for a week, and let her drive the car and see how she likes them. do them in back to back weeks so she has a proper base for comparison. since she is the one that is going to be driving this car, she is the one that needs to put some miles on and see if it works for her.

as for the risk of rollover, that is not as much a risk as it is made out to be. it sounds like your wife has a good head on her shoulders, and understand vehicle dynamics somewhat, and likely will have no issues with the escape.

but she needs to feel the difference between the cars and make up her own mind.
                Your post may be just a tad late....but is good advice for those considering such a high $$$$ purchase.

M&M Member #91

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                  Your post may be just a tad late....but is good advice for those considering such a high $$$$ purchase.
                  yeah i noticed that after i had posted it. oh well.
                  64 falcon
                  66 mustang
                  76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                  and life is but an illusion

Comment

After she drove the Edge she didn’t even want to look at anything else.

Funny story: when we started looking at cars we first came across what we thought was an Escape and she wasn’t impressed at all, neither was I. I then noticed it’s yet another version, called a EcoSport. When I saw it was built in India I couldn’t get us away fast enough.

Comment

I then noticed it’s yet another version, called a EcoSport. When I saw it was built in India I couldn’t get us away fast enough.
                      Those things are selling faster than we get them in. You should see all the plastic stuck on them because they are shipped half way around the world. What a pain in the ass to PDI them.

They are pretty popular with the newly married couples with either no kids.....or babies in car seats.....and older empty nesters with no grandchildren who only transport their foo foo dogs.

I personally think they are ridiculously small for what they are (did you look at the LACK of any leg room in the back seats....), and I can’t stand the rear gate door, the way it opens.

The EcoSport brings us back to a previous conversation.....this is the route Ford is going with their “no more sedan” line up. Sucks!!
                      M&M Member #91

Comment

I think even the interior of the Edge is too tight. We have to learn how to get in and out of it without scuffing the door panels with our shoes.

...And what idiot thinks putting cup holders in doors are a smart idea?

SLAM! “Oh look, coffee got spilled all over me!”

Comment

Never understood that either. My wife’s Traverse has them in the door....stupid
                          1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                          347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                          363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                          244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I think they are for water bottles, but it's still stupid. I have the same issue with getting in and out of my Mustang. It seems even if the door is wide open, I still kick the door panel unless I'm ultra careful getting out of the car.
                            Rob Hetzler
                            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post

Lol....I had a feeling you got a V6! Well proven power plant!!
                              This thing was equipped just like I like them, the only option is the V6.

It’s odd that today’s stripper cars are more equipped than fully loaded cars were just a little while ago.

Comment

My lady has a Chrysler Town and Country and I really like it. Very quiet on road, handles like a sport sedaneasy entry/exit for our disabilities, full rear bucket seats not 3 in thick phony seats, it even has a table stored in floor. 3.8 pushrod engine is very accesible even on back side. 25-26 mpg. Now I will be on lookout for the torches and pitchforks and wondering what forsaken island I will be exiled to.
                                STILL Bad Company!
                                Bob Carr

Comment

Working...
                                X