Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local Dirt Track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Dirt Track

I was hoping to drag my junk to the local drag strip but the car didnít fit the rules n classes with its 3 step. So pops n I headed to our local dirt track race about 45 mins away. Decent night of racing but a lot of single groove races with only a couple drivers venturing outta the groove. Had a good night with my Dad
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

We had a dirt track in these parts years ago and it was a riot. Definitely a lot of fun to watch, those guys were wild.

A 3/8 mile oval, it was called Thunder Bluff Raceway and the last year it ran was '85. You can still see the outline of the track over 30 years later.

Rick

BBF powered '23 Gas Altered

"You'd be a fool to not rock on".

Comment

We have a local 1/2 mile asphalt track thatís fun to go to, we may go this summer. Those guys race all out, even the young drivers class.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Comment

we used to have a dirt track here as well. it was a 1/4 mile oval inside a 1/2 mile oval. i went to help a local dirt track team once. they had two cars, a powder puff car and one other, i forget which class. the girl driving the powder puff car wasnt aggressive enough to get into the A main though, she just wouldnt get up under the slower car in front of her and give them a tap with the chrome horn, she felt it wasnt being sportsman like. but a fun time was had by all in the end.

i think that track got paved and turned into a 3/8 mile oval with the pits being outside turns 1 and 2. the craftsman truck series was born at that track.
        64 falcon
        66 mustang
        76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
        and life is but an illusion

Comment

Sorry to hear that the local dirt tracks in your area closed. Within probably a 2 hour drive Iím lucky and have more than a few to chose from. Closest ones feature the Super Late Model class n the further North ones cater to the Winged Spring Cars which are quicker n awesome to watch on a good track. I can remember back in elementary school my Dad taking me to the local races and now Iím taking him to them since he canít drive anymore. He struggles to keep up with the races and mixes up the last names of the drivers with the original drivers currently having their sons n grandsons driving these days but we usually have a good time!! The local tracks are pretty serious. From the track prep to the racers on just a local scene itís big $. Toters n double stackers with the latest n greatest race piece is the norm.
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

One of the local tracks back home just recently closed this year. They couldnt find a promoter, and given how the car counts and spectator counts had fallen off the last several years, they decided to just shut the doors. It's pretty sad too, as they had been racing there since I think 1956 or so. I spent a lot of summer saturday nights in the infield of that place, and that's probably part of why my ears ring constantly like they do.
            Rob Hetzler
            M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
            Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I love the local dirt tracks and support them when I can by being a SpecTater. I appreciate the time n $ that the racers put into their efforts. The serious class cars are sooooo advanced to the regular straight line stuff. Thereís really no comparison.
              69 Stang Vert
              69 Stang Coupe
              92 Stang 5.0 LX
              other DD's

Comment

there are half a dozen dirt tracks within 2 hours of my home with 3 drag strips added to that. sadly the attendance is down at all of them.
                I get to Maple Grove once a year if the weather is good. I havent been to Beaver Springs for a long time but want to get there for either
                the nostalgia event or the FE event. if the Reading fairgrounds was still going I would be there almost weekly, I miss that track big time.
                34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                X