Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good-Bye Taurus, Fusion, Fiesta, Flex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good-Bye Taurus, Fusion, Fiesta, Flex

I heard about this weeks ago.....guess it’s official. I think it’s a huge mistake, going to force people to start looking into Hyundai’s and Kia’s.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...lineup-by-2020
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

If and when gas prices go back up this is going to bite them in the ass.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

I thought the Fusion was the best selling car not so long ago?

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

That new CEO makes me wonder. I think he’d kill the Mustang if it wasn’t selling so well.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
          That new CEO makes me wonder. I think he’d kill the Mustang if it wasn’t selling so well.
          They're making a hybrid version for 2020

First a V6 "super car" and now a hybrid Mustang... if it wasn't for their trucks and the V8 Mustangs I doubt I'd every give Ford a second thought on a new vehicle purchase. Sad
          Not a Dodge guy but they are making some killer new cars.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

I’m a lifelong Ford fan, but if they change radically, so can I.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

This is about greed, and I’m a little embarrassed to be working for a company that would kill half its line up in exchange for bigger, more expensive vehicles.
              There’s obviously more profit in a $50k expedition vs. a $25k Fusion, but what about the people only want or need the $25k Fusion, and not a $50k Expedition. They’re saying sales are flat for those models, but they STILL made a nice fat profit overall last year.
              I’m curious to see if the other manufacturer s follow suit.
              M&M Member #91
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I think they are making a mistake also., but it doesn't matter to me as I will never buy another new vehicle at the prices they are charging.
                Mike & Robin Grentus
                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                M&M Member #- 890
                MCA #- 4549
                My 69 Coupe build album
                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
                  I think they are making a mistake also., but it doesn't matter to me as I will never buy another new vehicle at the prices they are charging.
                  Me too. Been out of the new market about 25 years now.

Dropping these model makes about as much sense as killing the Ranger and not bringing out a new Crown Vic and Lincoln Town Car. And a hybrid Mustang? How stupid is that!
                  Maybe I can keep finding used Fords when I need to replace one of mine. Sure won't be any new ones in my future. ...
                  ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                  -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                  -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                  " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

its been said many times that ford can drag themselves out of financial trouble, but they cant seem to stay out of that trouble. i also think ford is making a huge mistake dumping a number of car lines and focusing on trucks and SUVs, and vans. as noted it will bite them in the backside, and probably not in the very distant future. too bad mullally retired, we need him now for sure.
                    64 falcon
                    66 mustang
                    76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                    and life is but an illusion

Comment

I agree with the thinking that this is a mistake on Ford's part. How many jobs will be lost because of this? I really like my 14 Fusion and have found it a better car for me than my 13 Mustang was (carry more, better mileage, etc). Don't really see me in a newer stang, and especially in a truck that will cost 1/2 of my house value.
                      69 Cougar Eliminator
                      71 Pinto-289, auto-ex drag now on street

Comment

We've seen this movie before. Gas prices are on the rise and the party will end for the pickups and huge SUV's just like it did before. So, then people needing something with better mileage will be back at the Jap/Korean dealers and Ford will have nothing in the pipeline. BUT, they'll be a transportation company with an office furniture guy running what should be an automobile company. Leave your core business and see what happens!

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/...l-end.amp.html
                          M&M Member #91

Comment

If you stop and think about it, people have been wanting bigger, more comfortable cars ever since they started downsizing all of them for fuel mileage. Mini vans first, then on to SUV's, people want room. The full sized sedan was ignored by all the companies, Ford held onto the Crown Vic platform longer than anybody else, but they failed to update it so it fell out of favor. The small sedan market is mostly young, single drivers, or married commuters who need the fuel mileage of a small car, and it has gotten so uninspired you just about can't tell one make from another unless you see a nameplate. These so called "crossovers" are really nothing more than what we used to call station wagons, a body style that was popular with a lot of families, but slowly died out due to a lack of sales, again because they weren't kept fresh. I still think it's too big a gamble to give up that much market share, look at the hole in Ford lineup without the Ranger pickup for these last few years.

Look at Ford in the late 60's-early 70's time frame......Falcon, then later Maverick for the small economy market, Mustang for the ponycar market, Fairlane then Torino for the midsized market, and the Galaxie and later LTD for the full sized market. Four body styles, four distinct sizes, all but the Mustang offered in 2 door, 4 door, and wagon versions, all offered with I6 or V8 power, all offered in varying trim levels from stripped to loaded. You could literally buy as nice or as cheap as you wanted in every model, options were up to you. Same thing with colors, mix and match almost any combination outside and inside, different seat materials, sound systems, you name it. It was possible to have a one of one, or one of 10,000. Now, you get everything thrown in for one price, maybe two color choices for interiors, take it or leave it. People are tired of that. I remember faintly my Dad buying a new 1967 Custom 500, the lowest version of the Galaxie body, and he ordered only what he wanted, which was an AM radio and cloth seats and full wheel covers. No power accessories, no AC, he did order the 289 V8 with an automatic transmission. He kept that car 11 years, replacing it with a Mercury Monarch, but by then AC, power brakes and steering were standard. Now, you can't find a car with manual windows or without AC or power steering that I know of. Some people would be in the market for such a vehicle if it existed. But now they throw everything including the kitchen sink in and charge one price, a price that increases with vehicle size to exceed what a family home cost just a few years ago!

I guess what I'm saying is Ford should keep maybe the Fusion and Focus, and have a starter car if you will, stripped of everything but base items, then allow moving up the option list to something more aligned with what they are selling now. That would draw buyers back into the market that would have to buy used now, they could budget a stripped model as cheap as a loaded used model, and get better financing on the new one. By doing that, Ford could stay in the larger market with something to fit all budgets. It worked before, I don't see why it wouldn't work again.

But what do I know? I'm just a broke assed trucker who can't afford anything new anymore. I probably could budget a new vehicle if I had to, but I don't want to be tied down to payments for 72 months. Read this week where some are extending payments to 84 months! I was once told, if you have to finance a car, you couldn't afford it. After many years of financing vehicles, I finally quit about 25 years ago and started saving and paying cash for used vehicles. I made an exception on my pickup, and it has haunted me ever since, I'll not do it again unless I just have to.
                            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

This is what Ford is replacing the Focus sedan with.....the Focus ACTIVE. Supposed to be debuting next month.
                              I kinda like it! Don’t like the fact that they’re going to be built in China.
                              https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/...ge=AAvI9zZ_0|8
                              M&M Member #91

Comment

Working...
                              X