Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New shift / Promotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shift / Promotion

I know that I haven't been around that much. I'm still trying to get my body and mind to working third shift. ( 11:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.)
    It's been a real tough transition. I had to work my regular five days on second shift and then two days on third shift before getting a couple of days off.
    Ouch. But in the long run, it will be well worth it.
    I had to move to third shift in order to take a promotion to Shift Lead. Yes, it's a raise and a lot more responsibilities. But considering I have been with
    the company ten months and I'm getting promoted over folks that have years there, speaks volumes. Still have lots to learn, but I'm looking forward to
    the challenges. Especially as we transition from the old MD-80 series of airplanes to Airbus A-320's. Talk about a night and day difference in tolling and
    parts.
    Dave & Terri
    M&M#166 MCA#47921
    '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
    '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy
    '65 Mustang Coupe, 302, 3 speed~Tinker
    '11 Edge~Kona Blue, V-6, 6 speed
    "What do you mean pay attention! I can't afford to pay attention."

atta boy Dave, you are moving up!

when I worked rotating shifts i hated the graveyard turns, I never got enough sleep I feel for you as I know just how difficult changing
    shifts can be.
    in 81 to 83, I worked all 11 pm to 7 am at Rockwell International. it was okay but then I was required to work day shift
    on Saturdays to help with preventive maintenance . that really messed me up for Sunday night start of the week.
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

I'm almost adjusted to third shift. But it's been a road to say the least.
      Especially dealing with what day and time it is???!!?!
      I have to pay real close attention to that or I will be late or miss a day of work.

Dave & Terri
      M&M#166 MCA#47921
      '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
      '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy

Comment

Tough row to hoe, that’s for sure. I used to work 3:30 to midnight, and I thought that was bad enough.

Congratulations on your promotion, though!
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
        My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Welcome to my new world. I used to have a fairly steady routine....leave home about 5 PM, drive to my customer, get there about 9 or 10 PM, go to bed, get up at 6 or 7 AM and unload, then drive back to Tuscaloosa and load, then get back home anywhere from 1 PM to 3 PM, and repeat that all week. Steady, easy to do. Now, I start the week out that way but I have to leave in the afternoons by 3 or 4 PM,, then if the week goes good I can stay in pattern, if not, by Tuesday or Wednesday I may be leaving home at 4 AM, driving to the customer and unloading, then driving straight back and loading back and then going home. I'm constantly racing against a 14 hour clock and an 8 hour clock as well as a 11 hour clock. 14 hours total day, 8 hours before I have to take a mandatory break, 11 hours total driving time. When you get inside that last hour, the stress levels start to rise as you try to find a place to park for 10 hours before that 14 hour clock expires. All this supposedly in the name of safety. Yeah, right.

Guess it could be worse though. My neighbor works at BF Goodrich, he works 1st shift for 10 days, off 2, then 10 days on 2nd, two more off, then 10 days on 3rd, then two days off before the cycle repeats. I could never get used to that!
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
            Guess it could be worse though. My neighbor works at BF Goodrich, he works 1st shift for 10 days, off 2, then 10 days on 2nd, two more off, then 10 days on 3rd, then two days off before the cycle repeats. I could never get used to that!
            I am amazed that folks still operate the 'rolling work shift' schedules..... there have been many Health & Safety articles published that discuss how the accident rates go up, how production rates go down, worker satisfaction levels go down, all pointing towards the negative sides of continuing the practice....yet places still do it.

I am thankful my employer only runs a day shift (7A - 5:30P).....and yet, the newly-hired millenials are crying about the work schedule. I tell them (but they don't listen) that it wasn't long ago then any new hires would work there first 5-10 YEARS on midnight shift, without even an opportunity to get on days...... they apparently can't comprehend it. AMAZING......

Ryan
            Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

The reality is that the only way you can keep a business rolling after hours is to make a rolling schedule, very few people are willing to even commit to that.
              '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
              My Mach's restoration progress
              My Sprint's restoration progress
              ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

My neighbor said the reason Goodrich went with it was that even with a pay incentive it was hard to get anybody to work the 3rd shift, and some of the day shift folks griped that they were making less money than the night shift guys, a lot who had been there a lot shorter time. So, they cut out the incentive pay and put everybody on the rolling schedule. A few gripers screwed the whole plant....

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I worked overnights (9:00 pm to 6:00 am) for about 4 years & hated every minute of it. Will never do it again.
                  Mike & Robin Grentus
                  69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                  08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                  00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                  99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                  14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                  M&M Member #- 890
                  MCA #- 4549
                  My 69 Coupe build album
                  http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Dave,
                    One of the pitfalls to watch out for is not getting yourself off to sleep early enough. Getting off work at 7:30 AM, the rest of the world around is just starting a normal day and it's VERY easy to get caught up in it and lose track of the time! A couple or few days like that in a week can build up quite a sleep deficit that is extremely difficult to catch up on. Then, if you don't properly "catch up" it only takes a short number of weeks like that to start getting really run down and that can affect other areas of your health and attitude that you never dreamed of. DAMHIKT!
                    Best Of Luck To You,
                    Gene
                    To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                    '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                    '69 F250
                    '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                    '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Gene makes a good point, sleep deficit is a real problem. I have a bedroom in my house that is mostly used for storage, but has a single bed in it if we need it. I put the thickest, darkest curtains I could find in there to make it as dark as possible. When I sleep at home and have to go to bed before it's dark outside, I use this bedroom and sleep by myself. The hard thing is making myself go to bed before it gets dark, but if I do it a few nights in a row, it gets easier. Then getting up at 3 AM has it's own problems. Hard to turn that bed loose when it's still dark outside! That's why I prefer to sleep in my truck, going to bed at a somewhat normal time around 10 PM. I then get up around 6AM, just like I do at home. As long as I can stay in a pattern all week, I stay pretty normal, but if I have to change up in the middle of the week, I get a sleep deficit because of the change in pattern, and I get grumpy as hell as well!
                      Last edited by ford84stepside; 05-13-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I'm getting dial in to third shift. I go to bed around 1 p.m. and get up at 9 p.m. So far it's working for both of us.
                        I was use to running on six hours of sleep or less. But that was twenty years of Navy Training for you.
                        Now that I'm older and have been retired from the Navy for 11+ years, I need more sleep.
                        7 - 8 hours and I'm good to go. Thankfully our bedroom is on the back side of the house and we have a covered/screened in
                        back porch. So the bedrooms stays pretty dark. No problems with that.
                        Now if I could get my boss to teach me more about my new position, things would be easier.
                        But I'm having to learn on my own or by the seat of my pants so to speak.......
                        Skid marks leave marks!!!!!
                        Dave & Terri
                        M&M#166 MCA#47921
                        '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
                        '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy

Comment

Hey Dave,
                          Totally unrelated, but a question/comment from a layman. It seems that every AirBus I've been on (except for maybe brand new ones) makes odd clunking, whirring and seemingly sloppy parts noises, especially when taxi-ing, braking and turning. Sounds like a car with super sloppy/worn suspension components, etc! Are those AirBus planes actually pieces of crap, or are they just noisy? Been curious about this for years.
                          Thaknhs,
                          Gene
                          To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
                          '68 coupe/5.0/T5
                          '69 F250
                          '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
                          '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gibson View Post
                            I was use to running on six hours of sleep or less. But that was twenty years of Navy Training for you.
                            !!!
                            I remember that all too well. When going to sea on a submarine, we converted to an 18 hour day....6 hours on watch, 12 hours off. Of course, the 12 off consisted of drills, performing PMS, training, and whatever was left, sleep.
                            5-6 hours of sleep was about the norm, except for Sunday’s. .
                            M&M Member #91
                            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Gene, most aircraft are noisy, period. I'm not talking about the engine noise either. LOL
                              With all the different hydraulic systems and electrical systems moving components, you get lots of noise.
                              The other big factor is that the aircraft was in very cold air, at 30,000 feet and under a lot of pressure.
                              Now the pressure and cold air have changed, when it's on the ground. So you are going to get a lot of noise
                              from expansion of parts.
                              Dave & Terri
                              M&M#166 MCA#47921
                              '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
                              '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy

Comment

Working...
                              X