Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New shift / Promotion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was working manufacturing back in Iowa, I preferred third shift over second. Third was 10 pm to 6 am. Second was 2 pm to 10 pm. Second was horrible. And then when they did away with third, second was 2 pm to 11:30 pm on 9 hours, or 2 to 12:30 when working 10 hours. That company actually had to offer second shift a bigger shift differential pay than third because no one wanted to work second ****.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I didn't mind second shift where I'm currently working. 3:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. It wasn't as crazy as first shift and fit in with our lifestyle.
      The hours you are talking about actually stink. Really stink...
      No wonder they had to offer a bigger shift differential!!!
      Here's your "Sign." LOL
      Dave & Terri
      M&M#166 MCA#47921
      '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
      '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy
      '65 Mustang Coupe, 302, 3 speed~Tinker
      '11 Edge~Kona Blue, V-6, 6 speed
      "What do you mean pay attention! I can't afford to pay attention."

Comment

Well Dave, obviously your new company recognized your work ethic and talents. CONGRATULATIONS !!

I worked a rotating shift for many years ...... 4P to 12A for six days then two days off, then 8A to 4P again for six days and two off, then 12A to 8A, six days then two off.
        I think shift work is the killer and one steady shift is better.
        I always liked 12A to 8A, which we called "Last Out". There was very little traffic. Very few bosses around. And in Police Work I always felt that the only people on the street were either hoodlums or victims.

Hang in, good luck and again CONGRATS !! The U. S. Navy taught you all you need to be successful on the 'outside'. And your company recognized it.
        Eddie "D"
        '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
        "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
        M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gibson View Post
          I'm almost adjusted to third shift. But it's been a road to say the least.
          Especially dealing with what day and time it is???!!?!
          I have to pay real close attention to that or I will be late or miss a day of work.
          Two things tough about that... first one is you're trying to sleep when the rest of the world is awake, makes for a noisy sleep at times. Second is when you finally go back to first shift you will get physically sick from the switch, at least I did, took about a week or two to adjust back.
          Ron

Comment

I hope to never have to deal with First shift again! Talk about a royal pain in the arse!!!!!
            Why to many e-mails, phone calls, do this, no do that, stop what you are doing and do this instead.......
            AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG.......
            I felt like I could never finish anything.......
            All in all, I'm pretty much adjusted. It's nice being able to get home and get a few things done before I go to bed.
            Noise does not really bother me. I'm use to it. I use to sleep right below the flight deck on several carriers.
            My first ship, our berthing was located right between the number 3 and number 4 arresting gear engines.
            You want to talk about noise!!!! EEK. LOL
            Dave & Terri
            M&M#166 MCA#47921
            '65 Mustang Fastback~Ivy
            '66 Mustang Coupe~Envy
            '65 Mustang Coupe, 302, 3 speed~Tinker
            '11 Edge~Kona Blue, V-6, 6 speed
            "What do you mean pay attention! I can't afford to pay attention."

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
              When I was working manufacturing back in Iowa, I preferred third shift over second. Third was 10 pm to 6 am. Second was 2 pm to 10 pm. Second was horrible. And then when they did away with third, second was 2 pm to 11:30 pm on 9 hours, or 2 to 12:30 when working 10 hours. That company actually had to offer second shift a bigger shift differential pay than third because no one wanted to work second ****.
              Third shift for us was 6.5 hours but you got paid for 8 and a .10 per hour shift differential (granted this was 20 years ago), second shift you had to work a full 8 but got an extra .50 per hour, I actually liked second shift because we worked an early second shift and I was partying back then, you got off at 10:30 and could make it to the bar by 11, stuff was just getting going in the bar by that time, all you had to do was catch up, great shift for a twenty something.
              Ron

Comment

Working...
              X