Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am driving a Brand New Ford Fusion ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am driving a Brand New Ford Fusion ....

NO, I did not buy one.
    My Navigator is back at the dealer for some repairs on the "Moon Roof" and driver's side window switch. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty which also gives me a "Loaner" since the "Nav" will be in the shop for a few days.

I've only driven it 31 miles so far. I haven't read the owner's manual yet ... so my very first and early opinion is:
    A nice car. I'm not sure what the MSRP is so I don't know if it's worth the money.
    It's a "Hybrid" and according to the screen it's getting 36 MPG. The guy at Service said it was a gasoline and electric car ... therefore the "Hybrid" label.

My very first opinion is this car, like all new cars, have WAY TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY AND TECHNICAL "GIZMOS" !!!
    Hell, after 17 months with my Navigator, I still don't know and don't use most of the "tricky" stuff it does ...

Yes, I'm a "DINOSAUR" !! At 72 years of age, and a licensed driver for 56 years, and a kid who bought his first car when I was 20 years old ... a brand new 1966 Mustang Coupe,
    I miss the 12 Page Owner's Manual that showed you where to put the key to start the engine, and the other key to open the trunk, and not much more instructions or information.
    Today's cars are way to technology driven. Yes I know that technology in cars have made them safer, fuel efficient, and important to Motorheads like us, have gotten a whole lot faster, with lots of horsepower with a lot less cubic inches.

But I do miss much simpler times, like when you had the hood up, and had a screwdriver your hand, and while adjusting your carburetor, you dropped the screwdriver and it ACTUALLY FELL TO THE GROUND !!
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

Great to see you post, I almost gave you a call this morning to check on you. Sorry about that moonroof leak, and you sure are right about how ridiculous these new cars have become.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
      and you sure are right about how ridiculous these new cars have become.
      I can vouch for that!!
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Eddie, I am with you on the new car gizmo stuff, being a dinosaur myself at age 60 they are to much for me. I like how simple my first car was, a 1970 Mustang Coupe w/250 6 cyl that I purchased in 1975. I am content with the vehicles we have & as long as I can keep repairing & maintaining them I will not get anything newer.
        Mike & Robin Grentus
        69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
        08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
        00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
        99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
        14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
        M&M Member #- 890
        MCA #- 4549
        My 69 Coupe build album
        http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post
          NO, I did not buy one.
          My Navigator is back at the dealer for some repairs on the "Moon Roof" and driver's side window switch. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty which also gives me a "Loaner" since the "Nav" will be in the shop for a few days.:
          That ESP will probably pay for itself, since these vehicles are installed with SOOOO many factory accessories like moonroofs, touchscreens, GPS, front/rear automatic HVAC, TPMS, APIMS, BCM’s, folding seats, etc etc.

I can tell you a broken sunroof track (a common failure on a lot of 2012 and later Ford/Lincoln’s) can easily run up to $1500+ for parts/labor. You didn’t mention what’s wrong with yours but if it isn’t opening properly, making a pop sound when opening, etc....that’s usually the fix.
          Electronics, HVAC, accessories....NONE of it is cheap to repair. Good call buying that ESP!
          M&M Member #91
          US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

eddie, i also am one of those dinosaurs, of course i have been alive only a couple of years longer than you have been driving. but i too remember the days when for a thousand dollars, a sharp engine builder could drag 500hp out of the average big block. some of the technology i like, like EFI, and perhaps transmission controllers, but at some point it has gotten to be too much. i hate the idea that modern cars can be hacked through the GPS system.

yes the old days were indeed simple,
            64 falcon
            66 mustang
            76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
            and life is but an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              I can vouch for that!!
              I honestly don’t know how you can deal with them, you have my utmost respect. I feel guilty for ever complaining about the mazes of emisson vacuum hoses I had to work around in my dinosaur era.

Comment

Agree 100% on too many useless gizmo's on new cars but it's these "cool new features" that are supposed to sway buyers from one vehicle to the next. For the most part brand loyalty is dead for the younger car buyers and they would rather brag about a new gadget than overall quality or power. As far as the engine, I'd take the new stuff over the old iron...for daily driving anyway. Most new engines can go 100,000 miles without lifting the hood other than to change oil. The old engines that we love, not so much. How often would the points need replacement, plugs changed out, carbs adjusted all the while having at least one oil leak come up before 100k. One more thing going for the new ones and it's my favorite, no more scraping gaskets and rtv!

Don't get me wrong, I love the old iron just as much as you guys. But for me, they are a fun hobby to tinker with and bang thru the gears on the back roads going for a cruise. They have a soul. They have a great smell, a mix of unburnt fuel coming out the dual exhaust, the old vinyl interior warming up in the sun. They have great looks and that V8 rumble is music to the ears. BUT, when you just want to get to work without having to watch the temp gauge when stuck in traffic, the cold air blowing on a 90 degree day, or wondering if it will start and warm up without having to block off the radiator with an old cardboard beer box when it 30 below....I'll take the boring gizmo mobile every time.
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

That ESP will probably pay for itself, since these vehicles are installed with SOOOO many factory accessories like moonroofs, touchscreens, GPS, front/rear automatic HVAC, TPMS, APIMS, BCM’s, folding seats, etc etc.

I can tell you a broken sunroof track (a common failure on a lot of 2012 and later Ford/Lincoln’s) can easily run up to $1500+ for parts/labor. You didn’t mention what’s wrong with yours but if it isn’t opening properly, making a pop sound when opening, etc....that’s usually the fix.
                  Electronics, HVAC, accessories....NONE of it is cheap to repair. Good call buying that ESP!
                  Yes Craig. The extended warranty just paid for itself and then some. My moon roof would not tilt. It just made a noise, and then the rear rail of it would not close all the way and not seal properly.
                  The service guy told me last week that the entire track was 'shot' and he would have to get approval for a new track, it was not in stock, and showed me why. It was $1200
                  IIRC. He said it would be in the shop a few days as the whole thing had to be removed, as well as removing the head liner to do the job.

With around $1200 in parts, and hours of labor, plus the driver's door window switch, I can only imagine what the bill would be. The extended warranty cost me about $1100 IIRC.

I'm glad you guys agreed with me. When I pulled out of the dealer's I was almost scared that I was doing something wrong. Hell it took me 10 minutes looking for the gear shift to put the Fusion in "D" (drive) ... then I realized it was a circular button on the console, that you turned ... just like a button you'd turn to make an old style radio LOUDER !!

Yes-sir-ree ... I am a DINOSAUR ...
                  Eddie "D"
                  '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                  "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                  M&M Member #339.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                    Agree 100% on too many useless gizmo's on new cars but it's these "cool new features" that are supposed to sway buyers from one vehicle to the next. For the most part brand loyalty is dead for the younger car buyers and they would rather brag about a new gadget than overall quality or power. As far as the engine, I'd take the new stuff over the old iron...for daily driving anyway. Most new engines can go 100,000 miles without lifting the hood other than to change oil. The old engines that we love, not so much. How often would the points need replacement, plugs changed out, carbs adjusted all the while having at least one oil leak come up before 100k. One more thing going for the new ones and it's my favorite, no more scraping gaskets and rtv!

Don't get me wrong, I love the old iron just as much as you guys. But for me, they are a fun hobby to tinker with and bang thru the gears on the back roads going for a cruise. They have a soul. They have a great smell, a mix of unburnt fuel coming out the dual exhaust, the old vinyl interior warming up in the sun. They have great looks and that V8 rumble is music to the ears. BUT, when you just want to get to work without having to watch the temp gauge when stuck in traffic, the cold air blowing on a 90 degree day, or wondering if it will start and warm up without having to block off the radiator with an old cardboard beer box when it 30 below....I'll take the boring gizmo mobile every time.
                    poppy, i agree with you regarding older engines, but that is why i have embraced things like EFI, and electronic ignition, and roller cams. as for the oil leaks, even modern engines get those, and they are much more expensive and time consuming to repair.

and i also agree with you that older cars have soul, where as modern cars are lifeless transportation.
                    64 falcon
                    66 mustang
                    76 el camino

a man's fate is a man's fate
                    and life is but an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

I feel guilty for ever complaining about the mazes of emisson vacuum hoses I had to work around in my dinosaur era.
                      You failed to mention another great wrenching memory of working on that vacuum line late 70's/ 80's junk. Metric and SAE fasteners on the same engine
                      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Pony View Post

Yes Craig. The extended warranty just paid for itself and then some. My moon roof would not tilt. It just made a noise, and then the rear rail of it would not close all the way and not seal properly.
                        The service guy told me last week that the entire track was 'shot' and he would have to get approval for a new track, it was not in stock, and showed me why. It was $1200
                        IIRC. He said it would be in the shop a few days as the whole thing had to be removed, as well as removing the head liner to do the job. With around $1200 in parts, and hours of labor, plus the driver's door window switch, I can only imagine what the bill would be. The extended warranty cost me about $1100 IIRC.
                        Hmm, who’d a thunk.....another failed sunroof track...
                        Tracks aren’t too bad for those of us who have done a few. ESP pays warranty time (around 6 hours). I’ve done so many, I can usually knock them out in 4-5 hours depending on how motivated I am and what else I have going on. Customer pay book time is about 8 hours plus .5 hr to look at it (we like CP)
                        If you didn’t have the ESP, you would have been writing a check close to $2k!!

Originally posted by 70 Pony
                        Hell it took me 10 minutes looking for the gear shift to put the Fusion in "D" (drive) ... then I realized it was a circular button on the console, that you turned ... just like a button you'd turn to make an old style radio LOUDER !!

Yes-sir-ree ... I am a DINOSAUR ...
                        The jury is still out on the “knob”. I predict it won’t be around long, and Ford will go back to a traditional shifter. They are putting them in the SUV’s, no trucks.....yet.
                        I personally don’t like the knob, prefer the shifter, but of course, in a year or two, it won’t matter anyway, there will be no more sedans.
                        M&M Member #91

Comment

Y'all got me scared! We never open the roof on our 05 Expy, so maybe it'll be ok.
                          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post

You failed to mention another great wrenching memory of working on that vacuum line late 70's/ 80's junk. Metric and SAE fasteners on the same engine
                            Oh yeah, that was always fun. Certain GMs even had metric and SAE fasteners on the same assembly. The TH200 for example, I think the valve body used both, I learned to hate the letter M. I guess the factory hated us even back then.

Comment

Hmm, who’d a thunk.....another failed sunroof track...
                              Tracks aren’t too bad for those of us who have done a few. ESP pays warranty time (around 6 hours). I’ve done so many, I can usually knock them out in 4-5 hours depending on how motivated I am and what else I have going on. Customer pay book time is about 8 hours plus .5 hr to look at it (we like CP)
                              If you didn’t have the ESP, you would have been writing a check close to $2k!!
                              I assume that includes the $300 sensor that tells you your sunroof is broken on your dashboard display?

Comment

Working...
                              X