Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye to an old friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye to an old friend

When we bought Pam’s new Edge, the trade-in they offered was laughable, $100 for a relatively clean and rust free ‘05 Sable with 136,000 miles. The sales rep was even honest about the fact that they didn’t want it, to them it only represents work that they’ll have to do for very little money. They said they could give us a BS number on the contact but they would just be adding it on somewhere else, and we were better off just selling it ourselves.

I put on what I figured was a fair price on it and put it on Craigslist and got great response, especially since it was cheaper than others there similar to it and it looked a lot nicer than any of them.

Our $100’ car we sold last night for $2000. The guy that looked it over last night was impressed with how rust free it was, amazing for a car that has gone through 13 salty Maine winters, and when he came back to pick it up this morning I was in my garage, which was closed up last night, he told his business partner “So THAT’S why the car is in such great shape, he’s a car guy!” Turns out his business partner owns a ‘72 Mustang convertible with a 351C.

Still it was sad to see it drive off, it’s like saying goodbye to an old friend.

'70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Here’s our ‘$100 car’

287D1835-C0F3-4AC7-B88C-916F4147E1FE.jpeg

07E3C845-E745-4CE7-8E9C-29B2DBB3EB1D.jpeg

827ECBBF-9A20-4947-9E60-96DB4D8B89E2.jpeg

45799617-F854-47C7-946D-27E74686297B.jpeg

E9AE0A0B-720A-48B5-B222-20CC8209536B.jpeg

Comment

You have to wonder what the dealership would have sold your "$100" car for on their used car lot. It is in beautiful shape!
      Steve - M&M Member #690

1968 GT/CS California Special Candy Apple Red
      2018 Premium GT Fastback Ruby Red

Member: Vancouver Island Mustangs Association; Owner 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry
      Steve's 1990 Limited Edition Convertible Website & Home of the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Registry

Comment

Good looking car Steve. If the powertrain is like most vehicles now, it should go another 136,000 miles without much trouble, that is if the salt doesn't kill the body. I think you got a fair price for it, those cars never really caught on and they didn't sell as many of them as they did the 500/ Taurus they were based on. Even the 500 / Taurus of that bodystyle didn't sell as well as the series before and after that. Mom had one {a 500} that they bought the year before my Dad passed away, she liked it but could never get it to stop leaking water in the front floorboards even though she carried it back under warranty several times. She traded it in just before the warranty ran out, still leaking, on a Escape, her first {and only} SUV, which she loves now.

As to trade ins, I learned a long time ago you are better off to sell and use that money as a down payment. My wife got impatient one time, thought she couldn't wait until the weekend for me to get home, and traded off a 83 VW Rabbit diesel on a 85 Pontiac Grand AM. She could have bought an 84 Buick Skylark left over for the exact same money as the 85 Pontiac and kept the Rabbit. She thought she had to have the newest model year. They essentially took the Rabbit in for nothing and she bought the Pontiac after their fancy figuring. I gave her a good reaming for that. After she actually ran the figures, she was sick, and should have been, she gave away a good car to buy another. She has wised up through the years, now she's better at dealing than I am, and I'm pretty good!

The mileage you sold it at is about where I start to look when I'm hunting one anymore. New ones are way out of my budget anymore. I try to buy one starting around 100,000 up to about 140,000 miles, drive them 3-4 years, the buy another and sell the older one. Last couple we have bought for her we got over 100,000 more miles out of them and drove them for around $1000 a year, not counting normal maintenance and gas. I figure driving one for $1000 of the purchase price a year beats $6-7000 a year in payments!
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

You know, Bobby, I think the Taurus/Sable never really got the respect they deserved probably because they were just plain looking utilitarian cars. We bought it new in 2005 when they were getting rid of the old stock to make room for the 2006s, and they had a lot full for us to pick from. This one originally stickered for over $27k and with the sales promotion they had where they advertised employee pricing for everyone we paid $18k for it. It has been dead stone reliable and we just sold it for $2000 so for $16k we got 13 years of relativity trouble free use, most of it in the 24 MPG range. The only parts I remember using on it was one tie rod, we had the oil pan gasket replaced due to a minor leak, I did the front brakes at 78k miles, the rear brakes at about 100k (didn’t need them but I tried replacing them to eliminate a noise they made when I was damp and cold and the car hadn’t been run in a couple days, which still didn’t fix that until I guess it wore out of that and only did it once in a rare while afterwards), then the usuals like oil and filters, three sets of tires, two batteries, wiper blades, etc...

They claim America can’t make good cars, but I think the folks at the Atlanta plant did well by us.

Comment

Somebody got a great deal there!! I saw your ad on FB and if it weren’t for the 1800-2000 miles apart, I would have snapped that thing up in a heartbeat!
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan View Post
              You have to wonder what the dealership would have sold your "$100" car for on their used car lot. It is in beautiful shape!
              They would have probably wholesaled it to a buy here/pay here type lot for $750-$800.
              THAT lot, in turn, would have probably sold it to someone with no credit, for probably $3,000 something, with a 28% interest rate....then after a few months, would have been repo’d, and that process started all over again.
              I think Steve made a great move, sold the car quickly, got a fair price, and sold it to someone who NEEDED a great car for themselves or a family member. At the end of the day, it’s a win for everybody.

M&M Member #91
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Hell of a car for the money, that's for sure.
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

One thing that hurt the Taurus was the rental market. They were everywhere! I think there were more in the rental market than in private parties hands at one time.

$16,000 and 13 years driving is close to that $1000 a year I mentioned. You did good!

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I’ve noticed they are very popular with the taxi industry, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                      One thing that hurt the Taurus was the rental market. They were everywhere! I think there were more in the rental market than in private parties hands at one time.

!
                      Not to sound argumentative, but I would call a 32 year run rather successful. I don’t think Ford got “hurt” much by the Taurus rental market.

M&M Member #91

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                        Not to sound argumentative, but I would call a 32 year run rather successful. I don’t think Ford got “hurt” much by the Taurus rental market.
                        No, I think Ford actually did pretty good with them. What I meant was a lot of people wouldn't buy them because there were so many of them used as rentals. That model like Steve had I don't think sold as well as the previous one did from what I've read, I know I don't see as any of them as I do the previous ones still on the road. You could also say the same thing about the Crown Vic----it became more known for being a cop car than a family car.
                        Nothing wrong with either, I'm sure Ford made money on them or they wouldn't have kept selling them. And as far as I know, both were good cars. People's tastes changed over the years though.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

No, I think Ford actually did pretty good with them. What I meant was a lot of people wouldn't buy them because there were so many of them used as rentals. That model like Steve had I don't think sold as well as the previous one did from what I've read, I know I don't see as any of them as I do the previous ones still on the road. You could also say the same thing about the Crown Vic----it became more known for being a cop car than a family car.
                          Nothing wrong with either, I'm sure Ford made money on them or they wouldn't have kept selling them. And as far as I know, both were good cars. People's tastes changed over the years though.
                          Me, like so many others, are going to be sorry to see it go....again....(remember the Ford 500 era), but this time looks to be for good, or at least until gas prices rise again and Ford won’t be able to give away those SUV’s that get 14 MPG.
                          Of course, that’s several years down the road and Ford dumping their sedans in favor of SUV’s is another topic for another time.
                          M&M Member #91

Comment

I have a 94 Plymouth Voyager van in my yard right now that was bought by a lady friend of ours brand new. She is the only owner, she drove it up until a couple of years ago as a daily driver. Has about 125,000 on it if I remember right. About 24 years, she really got her money out of it! It still looks good and runs good, just a bit tired. Had a few offers on it, but no one has stepped up with the cash yet.

Comment

I still have that theory that Ford axes cars when they prove to be too dependable, like the Crown Vic, Econoline, and other cars over the years. They can’t make money in parts, service, and replacement if the cars last too long.

Bobby, we see tons of Taurus and Sable cars around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X