Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Craig..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Craig..

Iím still getting used to the sound of my wifeís Edge, to me it sounds like a Model T idling. But yesterday I was MORTIFIED to hear a sound that to my old, out of date ears sounded exactly like a wrist pin rattle for about a second or so, and needless to say I WAS NOT HAPPY. It was a cold start situation but it was about 80 degrees outside. Then I remembered some people mentioning the variable value timing systems sometimes make unsettling sounds from the phasers when they are cold so I am wondering and hoping thatís all there is. Three cold starts later it hasnít repeated the sound so far. Pam has said that it was the only time sheís heard it and normally when she starts it cold I am right next to her and I hadnít heard it before either, and I always listen for anything out of the ordinary. Iím taking a wait and see attitude right now because I know if I send it in without it being a repeatable sound, which a wrist pin would certainly be, they would think Iím crying wolf, Iím thinking I just need to get used to todayís bizarre engineering.

Ironically, this thing has tech on it that could probably navigate space shuttles and predict when you fart so it can crack a window, yet they didnít think I was necessary to equip it with an oil pressure gauge. I know that would be no help with a wrist pin problem, but what the hell?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ĒMercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.Ē ~ Adam Smith

Well Steve,
    In case you didn't notice, the "oil pressure gauges" Ford has installed the the last many years, are not actually " gauges" at all, but simply an oil pressure light, displayed instead by a needle on what "looks" like a gauge! It's either on (enough oil pressure) or off (dangerously low oil pressure) and I've always viewed it as kind of a scam! It may be different on some of the commercial and/or diesel models!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene
    To quote my big brother: "Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"
    '68 coupe/5.0/T5
    '69 F250
    '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
    '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Yea Steve, a noise like that is not a normal characteristic.
      Some of the ecoboost engines that have high pressure fuel pump under the hood are noisey under the hood, but on the 3.5, which I drive several daily, I have never heard anything like that.
      I donít do heavy engine so I donít know what theyíve heard over there, but like youíre doing, keep an eye on it, if you hear it again, Iíd take it in anyway, at least to get it documented that you brought it in for the engine noise.
      I assume youíve doublechecked your oil level, etc.
      M&M Member #91
      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I believe that in modern engines, if there is a wrist pin (or similar issue) it will likely escalate fairly quickly, so Craigs advice is right on target!

Just Sayin'
        Gene
        '68 coupe/5.0/T5
        '69 F250
        '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
        '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Just wait until you want to check the trans fluid. if its like a lot of them now, there's no dipstick!
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
            Just wait until you want to check the trans fluid. if its like a lot of them now, there's no dipstick!
            Sure, there's a dipstick. It's the person who designed it!
            Just Dippin'
            Gene
            '68 coupe/5.0/T5
            '69 F250
            '56 Chebbie 3200 P/U
            '03 Miata (wife's ride)

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
              Yea Steve, a noise like that is not a normal characteristic.
              Some of the ecoboost engines that have high pressure fuel pump under the hood are noisey under the hood, but on the 3.5, which I drive several daily, I have never heard anything like that.
              I donít do heavy engine so I donít know what theyíve heard over there, but like youíre doing, keep an eye on it, if you hear it again, Iíd take it in anyway, at least to get it documented that you brought it in for the engine noise.
              I assume youíve doublechecked your oil level, etc.
              Yeah, the oil level is fine. Half way between the marks, which Iíll keep an eye on. We havenít heard it again but if it occurs again weíll take it in. Yesterday Pam slightly cut a finger on a sharp corner of the window trim as she was putting something in the back seat. It has a particular sharp corner on the molding, and itís plastic so I canít kiss it with a rubber mallet but Iíll just melt it down a tiny bit as soon as I can locate a Bic lighter. Who designs these things?

Iím missing the Sable already.

Comment

Originally posted by horseballz View Post
                Well Steve,
                In case you didn't notice, the "oil pressure gauges" Ford has installed the the last many years, are not actually " gauges" at all, but simply an oil pressure light, displayed instead by a needle on what "looks" like a gauge! It's either on (enough oil pressure) or off (dangerously low oil pressure) and I've always viewed it as kind of a scam! It may be different on some of the commercial and/or diesel models!
                Just My $.02,
                Gene
                I know the standard gauges are that way, but I am pretty sure the gauge on my Mustang is a legit gauge. It shows about 80 lbs when cold at idle, drops to about 35-40 when hot, and goes up as soon as you touch the throttle.
                Rob Hetzler
                M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

The oil pressure gauges on my van and truck also rise up and down with different conditions. I know they arenít as accurate as my testing gauges, but they give some hint of what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                  X