Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Pouring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Pouring

Remember that post I made about how everything seems to break in waves? Well, my life is still waving. I can't seem to buy a break. First the steering shaft in my F-150 went bad. Then my daughter's 2005 needed a new tie rod end. Then the wife's Flex needed a new steering shaft. Then the son's 2010 Mustang's starter died (see separate post about the Advance Auto POS starter I replaced it with that now likely has the wiring fried ....that goes to the shop Friday), now tonight my daughter's 2005 Mustang snapped a connector that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch pedal rod. Freakin' plastic connector to connect two pieces of steel that you press with your FOOT constantly! Damnit Ford, that's just a stupid design! Split that thing in two. So I patched the two pins together using vice grips and zip ties and drove it home 3 miles in second gear, never putting the clutch in but when I started out. That was a chore involving a lot of barren road route picking. She's home though and now I get to try to find that part. Ford shows it on the schematic, but of course they don't sell it unless you buy the whole $350 clutch pedal cage. I'm not even sure if I found the part if it would actually be able to mate to the pin. Almost looks like a pressed fitting. FML. Somebody can have my rain cloud. I'm done with it. Guess I'm going to be calling some junk yards.
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

I feel for you, been down that road to many times...............

as for the plastic connector, I would attempt to make a better one from stronger material.
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I can relate. Times like this I hear this song playing in my head:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVkHbJE4_o

It’s amazing how quality sucks so bad these days, it’s like nobody has any standards anymore. Half the time when I fix things these days I find myself modifying parts and creating what should have been made in the first place. Beancounters rule the world.
      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
      My Mach's restoration progress
      My Sprint's restoration progress
      ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

I had to re engineer a piece like that on a S10 clutch I had one time. Stupid plastic got brittle as it got old. Should have been metal to start with.
        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I can relate. About 3 years ago my Wife decided to drive our 92 Mustang LX 5.0 to work since the weather at the time was great. So I uncovered it the evening before and made sure there wasn’t anything in the garage in the way so she could just pull out n go. Well, the next morning she calls n says the transmission “feels” funny after pulling away from the last stoplight before getting to work. So I go to her work and limp it home with it not shifting right or at all. Turns out it was a plastic wheel that rides on the throttle cable that had broke. I found a place that made a replacement I think was made outta brass so I ordered 2 of them one for on the car and one for in the glove box just In case. The Wife hasn’t driven that car since then and it used to be her daily driver. Lol
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

So this weekend, we resolved the 2010 Mustang's starter/starting issues. She's now back on the road. Went to a lacrosse tournament for my son. It was about a 2 hour ride. Noted the wife's brakes (we took her Flex) were grinding. Upon exiting the park at the end of the tournament a rock came out of nowhere and significantly cracked the front windshield (made a note I was glad I wasn't riding a bike). Did the brake job when I got home. Guide pins were dry too. Lubed everything all up and got her new pads/clips. Brakes are great now.

Now the F-150 sunroof won't close right. Manhandled it closed for now, but have a day of labor to disassemble the interior of my truck to fix that. Ford wants $1700-$2500 according to some others that have had the same issue. Sigh....

M&M Member #33
            '66 Coupe C code
            '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Originally posted by GTRocks View Post

Now the F-150 sunroof won't close right. Manhandled it closed for now, but have a day of labor to disassemble the interior of my truck to fix that. Ford wants $1700-$2500 according to some others that have had the same issue. Sigh....
              $1500-$1800 is a little more accurate. Anything above that is theft.
              The tracks run about $950-$1100 depending on how much mark up your parts dept thinks it needs.
              Labor is a good 6-8 hours, again, depends how experienced the tech is at installing them. (I usually charge 6.5-7 hours depending on how nasty the truck is).
              Not sure why Ford thought building sunroof tracks (that are constantly exposed to sunlight) with so many plastic parts.....was s good idea.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                $1500-$1800 is a little more accurate. Anything above that is theft.
                The tracks run about $950-$1100 depending on how much mark up your parts dept thinks it needs.
                Labor is a good 6-8 hours, again, depends how experienced the tech is at installing them. (I usually charge 6.5-7 hours depending on how nasty the truck is).
                Not sure why Ford thought building sunroof tracks (that are constantly exposed to sunlight) with so many plastic parts.....was s good idea.
                I think the first part of your post is the answer to the question you ponder in the second half.
                '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
                My Mach's restoration progress
                My Sprint's restoration progress
                ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post

I think the first part of your post is the answer to the question you ponder in the second half.
                  Youre probably exactly right. Parts is huge business for Ford.
                  I probably should have expanded on my comment regarding Fords later model sunroof tracks.

I started in this business in 2000. I don’t EVER remember replacing any sunroof tracks on late 90’s and all through the 2000’s cars. We started seeing a few Fusion sunroof track issues in the 2010-2012 model years, but those are sporadic.
                  Sunroof track problems really started coming on strong in the 2011-2014 F150’s. If you own a 2011-2014 F150 with a sunroof, you WILL eventually suffer a broken sunroof track....unless you NEVER use it. Of course, they are ticking time bombs. If you do decide to use it one time, it could be the time it breaks.

Then there’s the aluminum 2015 and later body style F150’s.....don’t get me started on those!!
                  We were replacing 5-10 tracks a month since they’ve been out. Ford has since come out with replacement slides for the tracks, but if we can’t get the broken tracks to move to the point where we can get the glass out, the track gets replaced anyway.
                  I don’t mind doing the 2010-2014 F150 sunroof tracks, but I HATE doing the new trucks because they have the vista roof glass panel that has to come out also. It’s a minimum 2 man job, better to have 3 to yank that one out. The track runs the entire length of the roof.
                  M&M Member #91
                  Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                  US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Mine's a 2010. I rarely used the sunroof. More for light than air. I've probably had it open 20 times in its life. Pretty pathetic. Cost estimates were based on others postings on the youtube video link. I didn't actually get a quote. No way I'm forking that over with kids in college.....

M&M Member #33
                    '66 Coupe C code
                    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
                    X