Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you do Craigslist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you do Craigslist?

Just wondering how many of y’all take a look at your local Craigslist for cars or parts? I’ve been guilty of keeping a lookout for any parts that I might be interested in. This afternoon I came a crossed an add that caught my attention. It was for a set of NIB stainless steel Flowmaster tailpipes for a Foxbody LX. So I texted the seller for a part # and he seemed legit n promptly returning texts. Turns out he’s moving and had already sold the car. He was selling the extra parts he had for it. We met up at a retail store parking lot that’s along a main road and exchanged parts for cash and he even thru in a set of NIB flow tubes he came a crossed that he’d forgot he had. He was happy n I was happy. I got about $325 in parts if purchased new for $120. Just when I started to seriously think about selling our 92 LX here I am buying more shelf parts for it. Lol.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Sounds like a great deal!! Everybody loves a great deal!!
    I used to look at Craigslist at least 2-3 times a day, but with the Facebook Marketplace and other social media swap n shops out there now a days, I honestly believe, unless Craigslist changes their format (to a social media type format), that Craigslist days are numbered.
    There is too much anonymity with Craigslist. Last year when searching for concert tickets, I asked the seller to meet in a public place (near a police station), and they declined. Said it was “inconvenient”. Needless to say, I passed on that deal.
    When buying/selling thru one of the social media swap shops, (Facebook Marketplace), you can st least check out a profile, see who you’re dealing with, see if you have mutual friends, know where they’re from, etc.
    Sure, there’s still a chance something negative can happen with those transactions, but not as much so as with talking to a complete stranger.
    Ive gone from being a daily Craigslist browser.....to maybe 2-3 times a month....or less.
    M&M Member #91
    Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
    US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I check craigslist about once a week. I have found a few parts I wanted or needed but the biggest issue for me is the seller has put the
      ad in my local area when the parts are a day or 2 away.

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I check them all the time. More for household stuff than car parts, but I have done both. I've never had an issue, but I screen pretty well.
        It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
        '66 Coupe C code
        '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I check them about every three months or so, around here people seem to think their junk is worth gold.
          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
          My Sprint's restoration progress
          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

All the time! Have bought several vehicles off there, but the last one did come from FB Marketplace.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Check our local lists quit often. Also have had great success selling on their too.
              1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
              347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
              363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
              244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I check it once or twice a month for parts, or the possibility of another project.
                Mike & Robin Grentus
                69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
                08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
                00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
                99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
                14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
                M&M Member #- 890
                MCA #- 4549
                My 69 Coupe build album
                http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                  Check our local lists quit often. Also have had great success selling on their too.
                  Now that you mentioned it, it’s how we sold Pam’s Sable recently.

Comment

I look at it fairly often. I got a pair of mufflers for my Mustang off of there for a really good deal. My Father-in-law uses it quite a bit including his last several vehicle transactions.
                    68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                    '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                    Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

TY guys for the replies. I’m still trying to refuse getting a FB account. Since I’m not planning on doing the annual Carlisle Pa All Ford Swapmeet anymore I figured maybe give the Craigslist thing a try?? I just prefer potential buyers NOT coming to my place to buy stuff. Due to the other shelf items and things the way they r today. Luckily I’m only 10 mins from a local good spot to meet.
                      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                      69 Stang Vert
                      69 Stang Coupe
                      92 Stang 5.0 LX
                      other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                        I just prefer potential buyers NOT coming to my place to buy stuff.
                        I hear ya, Tater. I also don't want folks I don't know eye-balling what I have. It may not be much, but it is mine and I'd just rather keep it that way until I'm ready to part with it.

Ryan
                        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

I've never sold parts on Craigs, only vehicles. For parts I usually do eBay.. Can be a pia to box stuff up and ship it sometimes, i just don't do the big heavy stuff. Anything bigger than an intake manifold and heavier I would try Craigs, although I did MAIL a 72 Mercury front bumper one time! It was just barely under their maximum sizing, but was pretty light. Wrapped it with brown shipping paper and tape and sent it off.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                            TY guys for the replies. I’m still trying to refuse getting a FB account. Since I’m not planning on doing the annual Carlisle Pa All Ford Swapmeet anymore I figured maybe give the Craigslist thing a try?? I just prefer potential buyers NOT coming to my place to buy stuff. Due to the other shelf items and things the way they r today. Luckily I’m only 10 mins from a local good spot to meet.
                            I totally agree. You never know if a stranger is a legitimate good guy just looking for a deal or some creep casing your stuff for a future burglary. That’s the world we live in. Saying you want to meet in a police station parking lot is a great litmus test, other than that I’d rather just take the trouble to ship. It’s the same way with buying. A friend of mine went to some town next to Boston for supposedly a good deal on a rear axle, but the meeting was held in a seedy parking lot in a real bad part of town. He pulled up and saw a lot of unsavory types hanging out and no axle in sight, nor anyone looking like they even knew what a rear axle was for, so he turned around and decided he didn’t need the axle bad enough to give anyone the benefit of the doubt with $500 in his pocket.

Comment

I bought a set of bucket seats off of eBay from a guy in GA. I met him at a WalMart close to the state line. I got there early, and waited until he showed up with them in his truck. Paid him cash, we were both happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X