Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't catch a break

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't catch a break

Thought I was fixin' to get back to rolling regular again after the last shop visit, but I guess not. The black cloud still seems to be following me. Got ready to go yesterday, doing my truck check, oil, coolant, etc, was low on coolant, about a gallon. Topped it off, ran it a little while, couldn't see any leak at first, backed it up a few feet, saw a few drops on the ground. Best I can tell, the upper plastic tank on the aluminum radiator is leaking at the seam. Lost about 10 gallons of coolant on the trip up and back, so it's in the shop at Freightliner again. I'm gonna end up with a totally new truck if this keeps up. Only problem is I'm putting out as much on shop bills as the dang payment!

When will this damn cloud go away! Work a few days, off a few, work a week, off a week. Frustrating to say the least.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Damn, that is a bad spell here.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

That stinks for sure. On the flip side though you caught the leak before it let you sitting along the roadside n needing a tow.
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
        That stinks for sure. On the flip side though you caught the leak before it let you sitting along the roadside n needing a tow.
        You're right Tater. I had one blow the tank off like that once, it about 30 seconds it went from normal to HOT!!!!! That was my main worry, I travel a lot of 2 lane county highways, and nowhere to pull off on the shoulder, and sometimes no cell service. Not going to take any more chances than I have too.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

[QUOTE=ford84stepside;n502094]

When will this damn cloud go away!

I hear you Bobby !

2018 has not been kind to me either....... some things I dont mind talking about & others I just keep thinking how I could have done something different.
          maybe I`ll relate a little about this summer after things get better...............................

Keith
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

It was what I thought, plastic tank on the aluminum radiator. Going to go pick it up in a few minutes. At this rate, I may have a new truck by the time I make the final payment!

Comment

[QUOTE=blue34;n502123]
              Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post

When will this damn cloud go away!

I hear you Bobby !

2018 has not been kind to me either....... some things I dont mind talking about & others I just keep thinking how I could have done something different.
              maybe I`ll relate a little about this summer after things get better...............................

Keith
              It seems a lot of us are having a "bad-run" lately. My last 12 months have put me through a real "Trial" of trying to "hang in there Eddie !". It has been just about EXACTLY one year since things began going down hill at a way too rapid pace, in my life, also.
              I learned a lot of things in the Marine Corps, and one of the MOST IMPORTANT was, 'Just keep putting one foot in front of the other', and sooner or later, you'll get out of the jungle and into a clearing ...
              Hoping above hope that you all get through the hard times, sooner rather than later ...
              Eddie "D"
              '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
              "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
              M&M Member #339.

Comment

Eddie, at times I would like to just walk away but I cant do it.
                the one thing I always tell myself is......somewhere someone is have much bigger problems than the ones that are bugging me.

wishing you the best...................

Keith
                34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blue34 View Post
                  Eddie, at times I would like to just walk away but I cant do it.
                  the one thing I always tell myself is......somewhere someone is have much bigger problems than the ones that are bugging me.

wishing you the best...................

Keith
                  Back at you "Neighbor" Keith. Whatever is going on in your life, I'm truly hoping it works out and life gets much better for you .... and for the rest of us also !!
                  Eddie "D"
                  '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                  "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                  M&M Member #339.

Comment

I'm in a catch-22 situation, I owe more on the truck than it's worth, so I can't sell it, got to work it to pay it down before I can even think about getting rid of it. But it's been so unreliable lately I haven't even been able to do that. I'll struggle through, been here, done this before.

Comment

Almost got rid of the truck Friday, but it's so sorry it won't even burn!

Going down the interstate Friday, got to smelling something that smelled like burning metal, kind of like you smell when you do a bunch of grinding. I was passing a place where they make cast iron pipe, so I didn't think too much about it. I always have my window cracked about 1/2", so just figured it was that. Went on another 10-12 miles, the smell seemed to be stronger, I was looking for somebody to have stuck brakes or something. Then I noticed it was getting warm in the cab, checked the AC, still putting out 35* air, WTF? Got to looking around, didn't see any smoke, but still the strong smell. Then I noticed it was getting a little foggy, is this inside or out? Can't be outside, sun was shining, clear sky........it's inside, WTF? Then I saw a whiff of smoke go out the window.....DAMN, I'M ON FIRE!!!!!! Yanked it off the road, jumped out and raised the hood, nothing? Close the hood, get back in, hard to breath, get back out, coughing, struggling to get my breath. Open passenger side door to let some smoke clear out, go back in, look around, then I spot where it's coming from, under the bed. Open the outside door to the box under the bed, I'm greeted with smoke! Grabbed the extinguisher and give it a shot, see a few small flames, shoot it again, then no more flames or smoke. Put my gloves on and start digging stuff out, found a towel smoldering, throw it on the ground. That old towel has been in the truck since I first got it, it was laying in that side box. Kinda oil and grease stained , but not really that bad. I'm thinking with the vibration of the truck, it lay there and finally spontaneously combusted. There were some nylon straps in there on it, it melted them, as well as an extra airline I carry. Melted a bit of the compartment liner as well as the bottom of the bed shelf.

Guess I dodged a bullet. If the truck had of been sitting parked, I might never have noticed it until it got bigger, or if I was asleep, might not have noticed it at all! And if I wasn't around, I'm sure it would have eventually caught up big instead of just smoldering.

Comment

dang Bobby, perhaps you should see a priest & have him perform an exorcism on you.................

Keith

Comment

Damn, good job stopping it before it got worse. Don’t buy lottery tickets for a while, save your money.
                          '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                          My Sprint's restoration progress
                          ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                            Damn, good job stopping it before it got worse. Don’t buy lottery tickets for a while, save your money.
                            I wouldn't have cried if it had of melted down. In fact, I'd probably have been better off after the insurance paid it off. But it wouldn't even blaze up enough to catch, it just kinda smoldered, making smoke and melting a little plastic. I can't lie, the thought did run through my head to let it go, but with all the cameras around everywhere nowadays, I'd looked a little silly fanning the flames instead of dousing them out....

Comment

This weeks escapade--alternator. Never had one act this way before, suddenly it will spike 16 volts, hold a few seconds to minutes, then drop back down to 14 volts. When it spikes over 15 volts, it shuts down the cab electrical to save it, AC, power outlets, etc. Strangely enough, never shut off the radio or cruise control. Figure the internal regulator is bad, going to look around and see if I can find one and fix it for a spare. In the meantime, a new in the box US made one is going on tomorrow. $210, so not too big a hit this week. At least I can do this myself instead of having to have a shop do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X